SNES Classic coming September 29th

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Re: SNES Classic coming September 29th

Post by Tanooki »

4:3 is the best I'd leave it at that as it's as accurate as you'll get as the pixel is just wrong and the CRT is kind of a blurry annoyance.

Super Mario Kart really doesn't cheat other than they can spam a hell of a lot of items onto the track in front of you than they should be able to carry. It's far better than most of the games since the blue shell came around dumbing the game down to a mario party on wheels where wins are luck of not getting hit by that then driving and item skill use. Also enjoy the feather, they left that out for so long and you can cut off some nice chunks of track in a few places (ghost house being an obvious one.)
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

I spent last weekend with a buddy's and I am impressed. We beat Kirby, a large chunk of Mana, and Megaman X. The CRT filter at 8 feet was pretty perfect for me. Hackchi just got updated for the SNES classic and now my desire to have one skyrocketed. I just wish there was a button combo to remotely reset it.

Now to make a game list of about 300 SNES games that are good pickup and play and/or coop. It should play MVC well but thatll eat a large chunk of the space.
wclem
Next-Gen

Post by wclem »

fastbilly1 wrote:I spent last weekend with a buddy's and I am impressed. We beat Kirby, a large chunk of Mana, and Megaman X. The CRT filter at 8 feet was pretty perfect for me. Hackchi just got updated for the SNES classic and now my desire to have one skyrocketed. I just wish there was a button combo to remotely reset it.

Now to make a game list of about 300 SNES games that are good pickup and play and/or coop. It should play MVC well but thatll eat a large chunk of the space.

Hackchi is simple and works great. I modded one and left other stock. If you enable it, down and select together take you back to the dashboard without hitting reset. Worked great for me and is much nicer than resetting every time you want to save.

With the games on it I added about 70 more and have pretty much every game I want to play!
dsheinem wrote:In any case, sorry that my avatar makes you cringe these days, but I haven't really changed my posing habits at all.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Sweet deal!
Betagam7
128-bit

Post by Betagam7 »

Tanooki wrote:4:3 is the best I'd leave it at that as it's as accurate as you'll get as the pixel is just wrong and the CRT is kind of a blurry annoyance.

Super Mario Kart really doesn't cheat other than they can spam a hell of a lot of items onto the track in front of you than they should be able to carry. It's far better than most of the games since the blue shell came around dumbing the game down to a mario party on wheels where wins are luck of not getting hit by that then driving and item skill use. Also enjoy the feather, they left that out for so long and you can cut off some nice chunks of track in a few places (ghost house being an obvious one.)

I consider Luigi infinitiely spamming his invincibility whenever he needs it cheating by the CPU just as I consider M. Bison spamming his special moves without charging as a human would have to cheating. I consider multiple characters working to obliterate you so that the rubber banded "opponent" remains untouchable cheating. These games are very cynically designed to do all they can to stop you, including things that human players could never do. There's a very coin-op mentality still working away inside them that today would seem incredibly cheap.

The rewind feature is a very interesting eye opener. I used it on Rainbow road last night to test just how the computer would respond to me being one step ahead of its tricks. it is amazing how many other devious methods it found to obliterate me. There is a lot of calculation going on to stop P1 and not so much towards the other 7 racers on the track.
SNESdrunk
Next-Gen

Post by SNESdrunk »

Tanooki wrote:mario party on wheels

Thank you for summing up exactly why the later Mario Kart iterations bother me so much
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

SNESdrunk wrote:
Tanooki wrote:mario party on wheels

Thank you for summing up exactly why the later Mario Kart iterations bother me so much

You're welcome. Mario Kart has become a franchise I will rarely pick a game up for anymore just to try it out, but I have not loved it since the SNES, N64 and GBA releases being the last. People get defensive usually mad even arguing it's a skill game, but what skill is there involved when even one of the most middling/mediocre (fairly last to last place losers) can win first just because of an asinine blue shell. It's no different than doing an AI boardgame of Mario Party where you clean up at the events, and the last random tile of the game more often than not throws you a go back X spaces (usually a lot, maybe to a previous same spot) causing an instant loss.

They become luck based time wasters and not worth the cash. Nintendo has ruined a few of their 2D era franchises for me with dumb design choices which saddens me. I still find 1P wise the worst was the DS release because on 150CC they permanently will keep AI in 1st, you in 2nd, rest behind and they will never behind attack the 1P kart, just you, which breaks every rule of the game. That's just not fun it's grating. At that point I started not buying the games or picking them up cheap second hand. MK8 was the exception paid up on that, played it twice and I regret the purchase.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

I will say this... 2 of the 5 items you get in first place can beat a blue shell easily.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

If you're consistently getting trounced by blue shells then you aren't actually a first place skill player. If you're doing GPs then the best person is going to consistently end up with the most points, even if you don't take first every race.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

MrPopo wrote:If you're consistently getting trounced by blue shells then you aren't actually a first place skill player. If you're doing GPs then the best person is going to consistently end up with the most points, even if you don't take first every race.

Truth. Also... if you aren't using motion controls, you aren't winning either :twisted:
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.