SNES Classic coming September 29th

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Betagam7
128-bit

Re: SNES Classic coming September 29th

Post by Betagam7 »

So...are we all in agreement that Starfox 2 is a bit rubbish then?

I haven't heard much talk about it since this launched (realize a lot of people had already played the demo). I myself have only touched it twice and been underwhelmed both times. It just seems like a series of short dogfights with horribly frenetic realtime stuff happening to greatly increase stress.

I just wanted more of the same. I could see this being poorly received if it had seen a release back in the day.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Yeah, there's a reason it was never released. We got the explanation that the N64 was just around the corner and Miyamoto wanted to make a Star Fox for the better hardware instead. But really, that's not a reason to scrap a game that was already finished. They would have released it back then if they thought it was a good game. Personally, I'm not a big fan of the "short dogfight" game play either. The game from start to finish feels more like one battle from a strategy RPG. But what I really don't like is how messy the graphics are. Let's face it, Star Fox has some pretty shitty graphics. The first game got away with it because of how simple it was. The sequel tried to do too much with the graphics, and it ends up looking like a mess.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Betagam7 wrote:So...are we all in agreement that Starfox 2 is a bit rubbish then?

I haven't heard much talk about it since this launched (realize a lot of people had already played the demo). I myself have only touched it twice and been underwhelmed both times. It just seems like a series of short dogfights with horribly frenetic realtime stuff happening to greatly increase stress.

I just wanted more of the same. I could see this being poorly received if it had seen a release back in the day.

Umm no. Disagree highly. It can seem that way if you play it on wimp mode though which is default. Push it up into the other difficulties and then it will give you a very different experience (not a push over.) Standard mode is and can be very boring unless you just want to roll a game over in 20min without thinking much. I've played far worse like that wretched DS turd for one. Star Fox Zero from all review accounts is fairly more awful if anything due to forced (like the DS) wonky touch controls displacing good gameplay. 3DS is a remaster of N64, so I'd put it kind of in the middle. I like the N64 and #1 more, not sure on Gamecube as it has some pretty terribly controlled on foot missions but the flight stuff is excellent.
Betagam7
128-bit

Post by Betagam7 »

Tanooki wrote:
Betagam7 wrote:So...are we all in agreement that Starfox 2 is a bit rubbish then?

Umm no. Disagree highly. It can seem that way if you play it on wimp mode though which is default. Push it up into the other difficulties and then it will give you a very different experience (not a push over.)

Difficulty didn't really enter the equation for me. I just found it lifeless and dull. I flew to a location and shot some ships in empty space. I flew to a location and shot some ships in empty space. A big dragon appeared and I shot him in empty space. A member of Starwolf appeared and...well, I don't need to repeat myself endlessly. The dogfighting didn't seem any fun at all and I can't imagine ramping up the difficulty improving it. I think I did play one level that was more like the original game (where you could morph into a robot) but it again seemed lacking in detail and atmosphere.

I have a lot of time for the first Starfox but, while I appreciate that they were trying for something different here, I can't help be disappointed in the result....and I'm someone who enjoyed Warpspeed back in the day! :lol:
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Try playing it on a harder level. They don't really respond any more nasty, but they throw more at you and a big twist in the play out on it as well. They will multiply the number of worlds, battleships, and other stuff tossed at you plus a new element. There's an andross made virus that'll hit that defensive platform which will then turn and rock Corneria and you'll need to return to that spot an blast the viruses clear of the platform.
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

So I'm going to hack this baby to add more games. What's a recommended maximum amount of games so I can still keep save files for all games, and maybe a save state for a few games?

(and any good wiki lists of the best snes games worth adding?)

here's what I have on my list to add right now:
donkey kong country 2
donkey kong country 3
megaman x2
megaman x3 fan hack
sunset riders
chrono trigger
wild guns
knights of the round
tmnt turtles in time
final fight
terranigma

plok
demon's crest
actraiser
adventure island
power rangers
ActRaiser 2
Adventures of Batman & Robin
Congo's Caper
Maui Mallard in Cold Shadow
the firemen
Goof Troop
zombies ate my neighbors
Great Circus Mystery Starring Mickey and Minnie, The
hagane
Joe & Mac
killer instrinct
mortal kombat (2 or 3)
Legend of the Mystical Ninja
Lost Vikings,
lufia 2
Marvel Super Heroes: War of the Gems
mega man 7
Metal Warriors
sparkster
super bomberman (latest?)

wrecking crew 98
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
harper
Next-Gen

Post by harper »

ZeroAX wrote:So I'm going to hack this baby to add more games. What's a recommended maximum amount of games so I can still keep save files for all games, and maybe a save state for a few games?

(and any good wiki lists of the best snes games worth adding?)

I just did that with mine earlier and it's awesome. The program is nice too as it allows a little bit of customization as well which is always fun.

Also, if you're a fan of shmups I always like to recommend Firepower 2000.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

ZeroAX wrote:(and any good wiki lists of the best snes games worth adding?)

Well, as a matter of fact, there us such a list.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=28989&hilit=Let%27s+Name&start=130

BurningDoom wrote:
1. Super Metroid
2. Donkey Kong Country
3. Final Fantasy III (VI)
4. Street Fighter II (Series)
5. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
6. Super Mario World
7. Pilotwings
8. Mega Man VII
9. Super Mario Kart
10. Tetris Attack
11. X-Men: Mutant Apocalypse
12. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
13. F-Zero
14. Actraiser
15. Sim City
16. Super Mario RPG Legend of the Seven Stars
17. Zombies Ate My Neighbors
18. Mega Man X
19. Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest
20. Famicom Detective Club Part 2: The Girl in Back
21. Secret of Mana [Seiken Densetsu 2]
22. E.V.O Search for Eden
23. Space Megaforce (Super Aleste)
24. Parodius Da! -Shinwa kara Owarai e- [It's Parodius! -From Legend to Laughter-]
25. Secret of Evermore
26. NBA Jam
27. Super Mario Kart
28. Super Castlevania IV
29. Marvel Super-Heroes: War of the Gems
30. Earthbound
31. Contra III: The Alien Wars
32. Top Gear
33. Gundam: Endless Waltz
34. Maximum Carnage
35. Final Fantasy II (IV)
36. Clock Tower
37. Super Famicom Wars
38. Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble
39. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time
40. Legend of Mystical Ninja
41. Megaman X2
42. Pocky and Rocky
43. Batman Returns
44. Choujikyuu Yousai Macross
45. Chrono Trigger
46. R-Type III
47. Mario Paint
48. Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen
49. Lufia: And the Fortress of Doom
50. Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster Busts Loose!
51. Plok
52. Castlevania: Dracula X
53. Sparkster
54. Demon's Crest
55. Area 88/U.N. Squadron
56. Harvest Moon
57. Breath of Fire
58. Axelay
59. Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts
60. Kirby Superstar
61. Illusion of Gaia
62. Lost Vikings
63. Kirby's Dream Course
64. Seiken Densetsu 3
65. Soul Blazer
66. Jaki Crush
67. Uniracers
68. Tactics Ogre
69. Rockman & Forte (Megaman & Bass)
70. Star Fox
71. Shadowrun
72. Ken Griffey Jr Presents Major League Baseball
73. Super Punch-Out!!
74. Killer Instinct
75. Robotrek
76. Blackthorne
77. Final Fight 3
78. Aero Fighters
79. Mega Man X3
80. YS III
81. Fatal Fury Special
82. Separation Anxiety
83. Desert Strike
84. Super Mario All-Stars
85. Super Turrican
86. Gradius III
87. Thunder Spirits
88. Raiden
89. Super Tennis
90. Pop'n Twinbee
91. Final Fantasy V
92. Front Mission
93. Metal Marines
94. Battletoads/Double Dragon
95. Aladdin
96. Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest
97. Mario is Missing
98. Bubsy
99. Run Saber
100. Ballz 3D
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Why limit yourself? Did you know you can actually bypass the internal storage of the SNES CE and have the entire library and far more? Hakchi went an added step and included support for and external thumb drive. All you need is a $5 part, basically a USB pass through that jacks into the back, the other side goes into the cable as normal from Nintendo to the little AC brick with the plug. That $5 part on the side has a stock normal USB port. You hakchi the base system, no need to change the original contents of the SNES CE though, but allow it to read the thumb drive. On there load up whatever the hell you want that's possible. Anything Nintendo from N64 back to NES handheld included, Sega same thing, Neo Geo MVS/AES and Pocket/Color, TG16/PCE, and the list goes on. I saw a video about it a day or two ago and it was amazing.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

Yeah, but when you dump the entire library on there, you never play 'em. Better to have a hundred good choices than nine thousand mediocre choices. :wink:

On the other hand, it is pretty neat that you can play so many other systems. :D