SNES Classic coming September 29th

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
marurun

Re: SNES Classic coming September 29th

Post by marurun »

Sarge wrote:Don't think the profit margins are high enough this time around.

There should only be any profit margins at all for selling to lazy people who can't be arsed to go to a brick and mortar store at this point.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Got one a couple weeks ago, hacked it to add arcade beatemups. Gave up on arcade beatemups and moved back to playing Battle Tetris and Super Bomberman on it. I just got in my USB OTG Passthrough adapter so I can have all the SNES games on the SNES classic and arcade games on the USB drive.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

fastbilly1 wrote:Got one a couple weeks ago, hacked it to add arcade beatemups. Gave up on arcade beatemups and moved back to playing Battle Tetris and Super Bomberman on it. I just got in my USB OTG Passthrough adapter so I can have all the SNES games on the SNES classic and arcade games on the USB drive.

Yeah, I’ve kept mine stock. I’ve looked into hacking it. Maybe I still will. For the time being, I’m leaving it the way it is.

We should play a 2-player beat ‘em up online some time. I’m not sure how to go about doing that, but there’s got to be a way. Maybe ggpo? I’m always down for an old school arcade beat em up. 8)
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

Post by casterofdreams »

fastbilly1 wrote:Got one a couple weeks ago, hacked it to add arcade beatemups. Gave up on arcade beatemups and moved back to playing Battle Tetris and Super Bomberman on it. I just got in my USB OTG Passthrough adapter so I can have all the SNES games on the SNES classic and arcade games on the USB drive.

What's the process on hacking this thing? Is it hard? Can you add games like GBA and such?
Note
Next-Gen

Post by Note »

samsonlonghair wrote:

Yeah, I’ve kept mine stock. I’ve looked into hacking it. Maybe I still will. For the time being, I’m leaving it the way it is.

We should play a 2-player beat ‘em up online some time. I’m not sure how to go about doing that, but there’s got to be a way. Maybe ggpo? I’m always down for an old school arcade beat em up. 8)

Would be down to a do a 2-player beat em up too ... not sure what the easiest/best way to do it would be though. I'm also on a Mac, which I'm sure adds some issues to the mix.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

casterofdreams wrote:

What's the process on hacking this thing? Is it hard? Can you add games like GBA and such?

Look up hakchi2. Then cross check that with the USB bypass method.

I don't know the added steps involved but read that it is very easy. Hakchi2 goes on the SNES itself, but you don't otherwise mod it. Your USB bypass is plugged in and then your power off the back to the wall. The bypass jack on the side gets a full install of many folders of all your favorite roms for any system that'll take to it within hardware limits. The system will boot hakchi2, then you select the external thumb drive from the menu and you can fire up whatever you like from there. That's the basics of it.
Betagam7
128-bit

Post by Betagam7 »

I tried hacking mine tonight with Hackchi.

The box art finder just timed out so I spent an hour painstakingly collecting manual box art from google.

Then I found it couldn't find the driver to intall it when dumping the kernal so I've no idea if it dumped it correctly.

I'm now too scared to try the final step in case it didn't. I guess mine will be staying as it is.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I would note that there is now a hakchi Easy Installer. It is supposed to put together the newest hakchi 2 Community Edition for install. I plan on giving it a go at some point.

https://github.com/TheOtherGuys-Hakchi- ... tag/v1_0_0

The way you'll know if you dumped your kernel correctly is if you have a "dump" folder in your hakchi folder. That should contain something like a kernel_snes.img file. If not, then it didn't dump correctly. That being said, even if it didn't, reobtaining a kernel image online isn't difficult. It's not unique to each system; heck, if push came to shove I'd send you mine.
Betagam7
128-bit

Post by Betagam7 »

Sarge wrote:I would note that there is now a hakchi Easy Installer. It is supposed to put together the newest hakchi 2 Community Edition for install. I plan on giving it a go at some point.

https://github.com/TheOtherGuys-Hakchi- ... tag/v1_0_0

The way you'll know if you dumped your kernel correctly is if you have a "dump" folder in your hakchi folder. That should contain something like a kernel_snes.img file. If not, then it didn't dump correctly. That being said, even if it didn't, reobtaining a kernel image online isn't difficult. It's not unique to each system; heck, if push came to shove I'd send you mine.

It did make the dump file but I'm concerned it might be corrupted in some way. I know I would be able to reinstall a boot Kernel but wouldn't that mean the loss of all my save data. That would be annoying. I think I'll wait until I finished Earthbound.

Or...if I tried it on my work PC could I dump the kernel again? Hackchi wouldn't let me do it a second time on my main computer. I suspect my laptop is just being obstinate. It's had a problem installing lots of things like Opera and Boxsync lately and it just hangs.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Hmm, I'm not actually sure how it handles saves in that case. I don't blame you on your caution.