Metroid Prime 4 & Metroid: Samus Returns Discussion

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
MrPopo

Re: Metroid Prime 4 & Metroid: Samus Returns Discussion

Post by MrPopo »

The backtracking is indeed best saved for an end of game roam. The majority of E-Tanks can be acquired in your first pass through an area, so you don't really have a case of getting an advantage from the extra health (which has always been the major reason to get obsessive about collectables).

Speaking of Samus Returns, the any% speedrun is sub 2 hours.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Very late game CheatCC Tricks & Tips

Accidentally discovered the awesome Spider Ball Power Bomb launch maneuver.

I love how this game doesn't hold your hand unlike the GBA ones, so it hearkens back to Metroid and Super in that regard.

The drill boss was annoying.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I assume you figured out the trick for not getting sucked in when you're bombing him? I didn't the first time through. I also found out after the fact that I could power-bomb the Queen. There's so many tricks I missed.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Nope, that surely would have helped. And it seemed like his bite got tougher by the third phase, it looked like it took half my damn health a few times. An otherwise cool fight, but took a long time and the damage you take is insane.

Also, on the final (second to last) dino-Metroid, whatever the names are, I finally realized when they do that full screen sweeping beam attack... you can just morph ball right under them to avoid it. Gotta love 2.5D. :roll:
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I loved it when they did that, because I'd park right under them and spam missiles like nobody's business.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Sarge wrote:I assume you figured out the trick for not getting sucked in when you're bombing him?

That part threw me because...
I was spider balling on the side wall and he sucked me in. After that, I assumed the spider ball was not immune to the vacuum attack. So I would leave a trail of bomblets as I ran away from the vacuum. That worked, but took forever. It was only later that I found out if you're a spider ball on the GROUND Diggernaut can't suck you in. :roll:

All in all, Diggernaut is a jerk of a puzzle boss. Too much health and does too much damage. Nice idea in concept though.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Sarge wrote:I assume you figured out the trick for not getting sucked in when you're bombing him? I didn't the first time through. I also found out after the fact that I could power-bomb the Queen. There's so many tricks I missed.

Bombing her stomach is the classic maneuver from the original.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Exhuminator wrote:
Sarge wrote:I assume you figured out the trick for not getting sucked in when you're bombing him?

That part threw me because...
I was spider balling on the side wall and he sucked me in. After that, I assumed the spider ball was not immune to the vacuum attack. So I would leave a trail of bomblets as I ran away from the vacuum. That worked, but took forever. It was only later that I found out if you're a spider ball on the GROUND Diggernaut can't suck you in. :roll:

All in all, Diggernaut is a jerk of a puzzle boss. Too much health and does too much damage. Nice idea in concept though.

I loved that boss. So much fun. It was like Nintendo took something from Sin & Punishment and shoved it into a Metroid game.

I am close to the end. I am grabbing the rest of the items for 100% completion, and I should beat it soon. Great game.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

The Spider Ball... of course!? I'm not surprised that's it.

On that note, the Spider Ball should be in every single Metroid game henceforth. Makes Morph Ball areas more interesting and awesome.

Also the blue lines on the Gravity Suit are amazing.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

MrPopo wrote:
Sarge wrote:I assume you figured out the trick for not getting sucked in when you're bombing him? I didn't the first time through. I also found out after the fact that I could power-bomb the Queen. There's so many tricks I missed.

Bombing her stomach is the classic maneuver from the original.

Oh, yeah, I know. I just didn't see an opportunity to do so in the updated fight, but someone mentioned the bit where you counter and she snaps at you on the ground. Didn't think about rolling up there, I just pumped more missiles in.