Metroid Prime 4 & Metroid: Samus Returns Discussion

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
MrPopo

Re: Metroid Prime 4 & Metroid: Samus Returns Discussion

Post by MrPopo »

Ahhh. First time I landed that counter and saw that pose I thought "I bet that's where I can go in". I knew they weren't going to take out bombing her stomach; they had put it in Other M, after all.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
TheSSNintendo
128-bit

Post by TheSSNintendo »

Finished up Samus Returns this evening. 100% completion rate and clocked in at just over 17 hours. Might have to replay it sometime, and see if I can do it in less time.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

10:29 here.

See you next mission!
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

TheSSNintendo wrote:Finished up Samus Returns this evening. 100% completion rate and clocked in at just over 17 hours. Might have to replay it sometime, and see if I can do it in less time.

Don't forget to check out the Extras on the file select after you have 100%.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Started up AM2R last night for another run to confirm my suspicions and yeah, I still like it more than Samus Returns honestly. But they can probably flip flop. What I really love about these two though (and thanks to the original 2 itself), is that these games don't hold your hand or direct you at all. Fusion and Other M were just way too much for me, I could get past that stuff and still have fun with them but it's still irritating. Zero Mission certainly stripped some of it away especially compared to Fusion, but my last replay of Zero Mission last year was just okay. It still holds your hand a bit too much. Still one of the best remakes out there but I prefer the original game over it. AM2R just feels like a lost cancelled late SNES release with some of the GBA look and Prime styled music. It's such a cool blend, my only complaint is the simple fact that it's unofficial. I think from here on I'll be replaying this one and Samus Returns more than the GBA games.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Xeogred wrote:Started up AM2R last night for another run to confirm my suspicions and yeah, I still like it more than Samus Returns honestly.

Can you state the reasons why?
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

AM2R just feels like a lost cancelled late SNES release with some of the GBA look and Prime styled music.

I think it has a lot to do with the aesthetics and feel, so it's very subjective. But yeah. The graphics and music made me instantly smile again. I also think the pixel scaling is really cool, although it goes more for the GBA style... it has Super's bigger scope and pixel space, so Samus is pretty small on the screen which I generally love in platformers. It just makes everything else feel bigger. An interesting difference is that Metroid 2 and AM2R have those cool huge rooms with ceilings and then installations/bases in the middle, which you didn't even really get in Metroid or Super. I really dig that about 2, but Samus Returns kind of redid those areas completely I guess and didn't really have them. I probably should have played on Hard this time around, but I'm doing Normal again and it's a cruise. It's back to being more methodical like Super, combat isn't the focus unlike Samus Returns haha. As you've maybe seen me express recently, I prefer the more exploratory adventure side of Metroid and AM2R feels more like that again. The tone is darker and lonelier than the GBA games, but still nothing like Metroid or Super.

Also there are two moments in AM2R that got me pretty emotional. One I won't spoil, but the other is the baby Metroid moment... I kind of felt nothing during this part with Samus Returns, but I thought it was insanely well done in AM2R.

FYI, it's easier to get through this too like the GBA games, my first run was 88% at 4h 39m. Way harder to get 100% I think, there was some crazy Spark Morph Ball items I couldn't get and some other weirder things I think.

For some Samus Returns defense though, I like how the Spider Ball moves faster there and was smoother, you could also jump while using it. Along with a lot of cool Spider Ball puzzles for items. It's a bit slower to use in AM2R.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Xeogred wrote:As you've maybe seen me express recently, I prefer the more exploratory adventure side of Metroid and AM2R feels more like that again.

If you really love exploration in your metroidvanias, dude you need to play through this:

https://www.mobygames.com/game/scheme

I beat it a few years ago myself and had a good time. As much as you enjoy quality OSTs, this game has a killer one. A few tracks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCeat2l ... C41A3DAC7F

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbyICmi ... 7F&index=8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FF4XSq ... F&index=11

Yuzo Koshiro, need I say more?
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

That looks rad. PC88 only though? Emulating Amiga stuff gives me a headache, I wonder what this is like haha.

Straight up Shinobi. 8)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2ucoaJCFvs
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Xeogred wrote:PC88 only though? Emulating Amiga stuff gives me a headache, I wonder what this is like haha.

Yes PC88 only. Setting up the emulation is worth it. There's a treasure trove of great action games on classic Japanese PC platforms like the PC88, MSX/2, PC98, Sharp X68000, etc.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.