Metroid Prime 4 & Metroid: Samus Returns Discussion

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Re: Metroid Prime 4 & Metroid: Samus Returns Discussion

Post by Xeogred »

Been kind of hooked on this lately, this channel has been running an Item Randomizer Tournament for Super Metroid lately. Usually some runs per night and always two players racing side by side. Really fun to watch if you enjoy seeing people completely break Super Metroid and the item randomizer thing is really cool, I plan to check it out sometime.

https://www.twitch.tv/speedgaming

I'm not sure if this record was beat in a week, but I think zoast has the best run currently for the vanilla game:
Super Metroid any% in 41:49 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rvhx677ngRM

The two craziest things that stood out to me, doing Phantoon for the first boss and then doing all of Norfair in a single run.

I can do like 55 minutes or somewhere around that. The early super missiles in Brinstar with the morph ball trick is my proudest moment. It's just nuts to consider people average a full 15 minutes less than what I could do. :lol:
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

I've never been able to nail the mockball to get those early Supers and skip Spore Spawn. And the current any% is Behemoth with 41:40. I've noticed they've been grinding WRs since they discovered moonfall (doing a spinjump backwards while moonwalking lets you fall faster than the normal cap).
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

You have to deliberately double tap down twice then give it the tiniest bit of a delay before hitting over to start rolling with the carried speed. That's if you got the jump through the door right, haha. But I remember the intricate double down tap then forward, because I think I used to be able to speedrun on a keyboard and that was actually easier with the arrow keys. Now I just laugh at how I used to play SNES games with my weird keyboard setup way back in the day and could probably never do it again.

I've seen the "moonfall" thing a few times. That's when I say "I'll leave it to the experts". :lol:
optmusprimenumber
Next-Gen

Post by optmusprimenumber »

So I got maybe an hour in on Samus Returns. I've been playing Metroids with shoot on B and jump on A for a few years now, thanks to starting with Zero Mission. So i got over the layout change for the most part. Don't like it though. The A button, aeioun deal, is just a weird thing I will never use on purpose. And sure, I'm "getting used" to the circle pad, but c'mon, really.... why take the d-pad away from Samus? You can't swiftly "double tap" a slidey circle. I can't be the only person who thinks it was a really crappy decision. The wall jump is no longer a skill either. Everyone seems to be loving it, I'm not hating it, I'm gonna beat the fucker... but damnit those things.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Do you have that 3DS grip others here have recommended? I kind of laughed when I beat Samus Returns, then got the grip... loaded the game up and I have a feeling it would have been a little easier with it all the way through. The controls definitely weren't the most intuitive considering how frantic it is.
optmusprimenumber
Next-Gen

Post by optmusprimenumber »

Ah I can see that being useful. Either way, I'll be happier when it's running on an emulator and I can do what I want. Mehr