Re-defining the Defining Games of the SNES

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
marurun

Re: Re-defining the Defining Games of the SNES

Post by marurun »

Ziggy587 wrote:
marurun wrote:Once an author/editor gets attached officially to the article at least any subjectivity or bias in the process will reflect one person rather than a committee.

Isn't that totally how we ended up with the article the way it is now? With Earthbound and Uniracers. I'm not suggesting anything. Just saying.

IIRC, the process then was a lot like the process now, just a little more loose, and less centralized. I'm a proponent of having, if not a single author for article, a single expert editor who gets the final call. Even if you have multiple people doing the write-ups for individual games, that single editor effectively would have final authority for game inclusion, categorization, and responsibility to edit or even rewrite portions of game descriptions as necessary. RB was effectively serving as editor for most of the old pieces, but he was mostly just looking at layout and wording and less at selection. I think having more editors working in their areas of expertise and taking a more active role in the actual selection of games for the articles could have advantages.

As for SM RPG, that won't likely be my call.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

marurun wrote:a single expert editor

How is this person to be chosen?
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Exhuminator wrote:
marurun wrote:a single expert editor

How is this person to be chosen?

Fight to the death with holy hand grenade. Or divine election by the pope. RacketBoy is the pope of classic gaming, isn't he?
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

I think this process could work well.
I could just be the person that chooses the editor for the piece if I don't do it myself.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I nominate SNESdrunk to be the "single expert editor." He always seems level headed and unbiased in his reviews, and is undoubtedly some kind of SNES expert. Cross promotion is great for both, and IIRC he's already mentioned or credited the Racketboy forums in a few of his videos.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Ziggy587 wrote:I nominate SNESdrunk to be the "single expert editor." He always seems level headed and unbiased in his reviews, and is undoubtedly some kind of SNES expert. Cross promotion is great for both, and IIRC he's already mentioned or credited the Racketboy forums in a few of his videos.

Seconded, great choice! The article should include a link to his Thread OP for his continually updated video links.

SNESdrunk reviews - http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=801715#p801715
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Since we're talking about domestic SNES games, SNESdrunk is a good choice.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Is he active enough on the forum at large? I mean, almost 50% of his posts are in his own reviews/videos thread. I cannot attest to his qualities as a SNES expert, because for some reason I haven't been watching his reviews, but maybe I need to start. He has a neat looking list of games he's reviewed.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

marurun wrote:Is he active enough on the forum at large? I mean, almost 50% of his posts are in his own reviews/videos thread. I cannot attest to his qualities as a SNES expert, because for some reason I haven't been watching his reviews, but maybe I need to start. He has a neat looking list of games he's reviewed.

Not to bash other YouTubers that post their videos on the Racketboy forums, but SNESdrunk is the most active on the RB forums of them. Most of his posts might be in his own video thread, but that's mostly because we have lots of back and forth after he posts a new video. It's nice to know that he doesn't just drop a link to a new video then vanish. Again, not that I'm bashing other YouTubers! But I love how we engage in conversations about his videos, sometimes long after they're posted. He also seems to post in other threads on the forum, which some YouTubers don't do.
Ack

Post by Ack »

He has also come to us in the past for suggestions and advice. He's a good guy.