No longer a rumor: The SNES Classic Mini is coming soon

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Sarge
Next-Gen

Re: Rumor: The SNES Classic Mini is coming soon

Post by Sarge »

It's not full compatibility, but it does cover most of the US mappers.

0 (NROM)
1 (MMC1)
2 (UxROM)
3 (CNROM)
4 (MMC3)
5 (MMC5)
7 (AxROM)
9 (MMC2)
10 (MMC4)

I think the only special chip Nintendo avoided with SNES VC was the Super FX. They've got Super Mario RPG and Kirby Super Star up, which is SA-1. Mega Man X2 showed up, which was Cx4. Street Fighter Alpha 2 was there, which covers the S-DD1. And with Super Mario Kart, you've got the DSP1.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

Tanooki wrote:You are aware they never emulated the FX chip in the virtual console right? Only that horrible DS title and Starfox 64 ever were (are) in there. The same guys who made the VC emulator did the NES CE.

Given the pedigree I'd have to wonder if the older systems or just emulator in general couldn't run it, or they just didn't bother or couldn't figure out how to emulate it properly. It's the same reason why people complain for Yoshi's Island (FX2 game) and it's not there.

I would not be all that shocked if a SNES mini happened and Starfox and Yoshi's Island were left out. Nintendo has emulated the DSPs, SA1, SDD1, and C4 chips though. That'll get you Mario Kart/Pilotwings, SMRPG+Kirby's Dreamland3 & Superstar, Street Fighter Alpha 2, and Megaman X2/X3.

Wouldn't be a deal breaker, but would be unfortunate omissions.
I have a hard time believing that it couldn't be achieved with mild effort though. True, I haven't followed the virtual console selections (and my understanding on the matter is limited). But when you have a dedicated unit specifically for SNES games, you'd think they would find a way. I mean, why can't the chip itself be replicated somehow (something hardware specific to handle that chip function specifically). If they had a mind to, they could make it happen. The Nintendo I know would do it on principle.

I know, I know, extra costs and not worth the efforts. It would sell amazingly well with or without FX function.

But still, Star Fox would be sorely missed (as an iconic game and all).
I'm glad it was so prolific and easy to obtain an actual cart of the game.
SMRPG on the other hand, that would be the SNES Classic killer app. SA-1 and DSP would be sufficient on their own.
...just another lost soul...
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Starfox may never happen, I had it pointed out to me the FX was designed by a dead and spread into the wind company Argonaut and without their permission, which seems like an odd and asinine omission on Nintendo's part in contract, it may be a lost cause. It would also explain why Yoshi's Island only came out on a GBA release in the Ambassador Program(3DS.) Horribly messed up licensing garbage if true, and another reason to tack on my list of reasons to NOT trust download/licenses to stick with physical media. Argonaut maybe dead, but their rotting zombie corpse can't come and steal my cart and bury it.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

GameFAQs has a poll going today in regards to the rumored SNES Classic.

I did not expect Super Mario RPG to be the lead runner.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I didn't either. I'd take Super Metroid or A Link to the Past first. And there's an embarrassing lack of Yoshi's Island on that list, but let's face it, it ain't gonna be on there.
HellHammer
64-bit

Post by HellHammer »

Tanooki wrote:Starfox may never happen, I had it pointed out to me the FX was designed by a dead and spread into the wind company Argonaut and without their permission, which seems like an odd and asinine omission on Nintendo's part in contract, it may be a lost cause. It would also explain why Yoshi's Island only came out on a GBA release in the Ambassador Program(3DS.) Horribly messed up licensing garbage if true, and another reason to tack on my list of reasons to NOT trust download/licenses to stick with physical media. Argonaut maybe dead, but their rotting zombie corpse can't come and steal my cart and bury it.

I read an interview with Dylan Cuthbert recently (I think it was on Reddit?) about some of these issues and how technical things like the FX chips and legal issues will probably prevent games like StarFox 2 from ever seeing a legitimate release. I'm sure it's the same case for the first game, and probably Yoshi's Island as well. He also pointed out that while he still works with Nintendo on occasion, Argonaut Software is dead and gone so there is very little hope of figuring out the legal aspects.

I hope all of this is wrong however, I absolutely love StarFox and the SNES!!
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

Post by retrosportsgamer »

Exhuminator wrote:Image

GameFAQs has a poll going today in regards to the rumored SNES Classic.

I did not expect Super Mario RPG to be the lead runner.

Especially since Nintendo has released it on the VC for the WiiU. There are ways to legally play that title.

As an aside I'd love that to make its way to new3ds VC.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

HellHammer wrote:He also pointed out that while he still works with Nintendo on occasion, Argonaut Software is dead and gone so there is very little hope of figuring out the legal aspects.

I hope all of this is wrong however, I absolutely love StarFox and the SNES!!

Well going by what I've witness Piko do with his scrabbling for finished unlicensed games to finally release and fixing others I've seen a lot of crazy ass logical and illogical digging to figure stuff out. He's dug up some twisted paths to finding ownership of some old game because when companies failed people would pick up or buy out those rights on certain stuff. It would take going through some Nintendo contracts to see who owns what with the FX architecture, then taking those names, tracking each individually back towards present and figuring out where the last transfer of ownership was on the code. Then it's a matter of if they'll license or sell out. Not easy, very complicated and can be convoluted too, but it's possible. The question is, fans aside, is it worth the lawyer thumping to Nintendo.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Well, the Super FX chips would no longer be covered by patents at this point, so there shouldn't be an issue with the core architecture. Nintendo also clearly has full ownership of the Starfox IP. So unless some of Argonat's coding work was done outside standard third-party work-for-hire rules, the explanation may not involve any kind of sorting out of rights.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

Wasn't there some licensing arguments of why Earthbound wasn't on the virtual console at one point? That didn't seem to be a big deal after all (or was overcome at least), and that was based on game content.

I don't know, good points and observations have been brought up, but there's always a way around something.
Besides, if the chip is being emulated somehow, is the actual chip technology being used at that point?
I really don't understand the world I live in :? ...
...just another lost soul...