No longer a rumor: The SNES Classic Mini is coming soon

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Sarge
Next-Gen

Re: Rumor: The SNES Classic Mini is coming soon

Post by Sarge »

I honestly don't think they'll put 30 on there, either. I'd wager 20.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Even if Nintendo only picked SNES games they themselves published just in the USA, there would still be over 50 to choose from:

https://www.gamefaqs.com/company/1143-n ... 1&devpub=2

And many of them are legit classics.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

It'd be stellar if an SNES Classic would include a lot of special chip games: Mario World 2, Super Mario RPG, Star Fox, the 2 Kirby games, etc.
That would make it very attractive indeed, even to gamers with everdrives.
I'd preorder this on principle.

In any case, here we go again...maybe...
...just another lost soul...
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

If I were a third party publisher that could potentially be interested in making money by partnering with Nintendo on the SNES Classic, I'd probably stay far the fuck away from them after seeing the shitty way they handled the NES Classic. Between seeing the low number of units for sale, the obviously slim profit margins, and the abruptly terminated production of the system...I'd feel that they aren't very interested in bringing my games to market in a way that would maximize the potential revenue they might bring in. They haven't traditionally been a company that works well with third parties, and the NES Classic did nothing but reinforce that...
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

nightrnr wrote:It'd be stellar if an SNES Classic would include a lot of special chip games: Mario World 2, Super Mario RPG, Star Fox, the 2 Kirby games, etc.
That would make it very attractive indeed, even to gamers with everdrives.
I'd preorder this on principle.

In any case, here we go again...maybe...

You are aware they never emulated the FX chip in the virtual console right? Only that horrible DS title and Starfox 64 ever were (are) in there. The same guys who made the VC emulator did the NES CE.

Given the pedigree I'd have to wonder if the older systems or just emulator in general couldn't run it, or they just didn't bother or couldn't figure out how to emulate it properly. It's the same reason why people complain for Yoshi's Island (FX2 game) and it's not there.

I would not be all that shocked if a SNES mini happened and Starfox and Yoshi's Island were left out. Nintendo has emulated the DSPs, SA1, SDD1, and C4 chips though. That'll get you Mario Kart/Pilotwings, SMRPG+Kirby's Dreamland3 & Superstar, Street Fighter Alpha 2, and Megaman X2/X3.
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

Post by retrosportsgamer »

On one hand, id say whatever they've recently done for the SNES VC on new 3ds is probably a good starting point, but who knows.

It really seemed like they were staying away from these because (partly) the new online sub would be launching and the new VC would be rolled out.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

From a thread on another board (Tanto, Talking Time), and it makes sense to me.

It could be that Nintendo had a contract with a third party that said "We can use this game for X number of NES Classics. Once that's up, renegotiate." The NES Classic becomes a big hit; when the time to talk turkey again comes up, the third party wants a bigger piece of the pie than Nintendo wants to pay, talks stall. Neither side wants to start a public feud over it because they still need to have a working relationship for 3DS and Switch games and the Virtual Console.

This scenario took me about thirty seconds to dream up; I'm sure there are any manner of permutations that could conceivably do it.

I mean, almost half the titles on the system are third-party games. It only really takes one of the devs to foul the whole thing up given the nature of the device.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Nothing on the NES classic used any super weird mappers, so I wouldn't expect anything on the SNES classic that would use any add-on chips. No Starfox, no Yoshi's Island.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

marurun wrote:Nothing on the NES classic used any super weird mappers, so I wouldn't expect anything on the SNES classic that would use any add-on chips.

I thought people hacked the NES Classic to allow loading any NES ROM they wanted onto the device, and then play it accordingly. This would assume NES games with complex mappers. People were reporting full compatibility across the library spectrum, is that not actually true?
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Exhuminator wrote:
marurun wrote:Nothing on the NES classic used any super weird mappers, so I wouldn't expect anything on the SNES classic that would use any add-on chips.

I thought people hacked the NES Classic to allow loading any NES ROM they wanted onto the device, and then play it accordingly. This would assume NES games with complex mappers. People were reporting full compatibility across the library spectrum, is that not actually true?

Oh, really? I thought stuff like Castlevania III JPN that used the VRC6 didn't have working audio. I'd be happy to be wrong, though, so please correct me if that's the case.

And IIRC, Nintendo never got any of the SNES add-on stuff working in the VC, or am I misremembering?
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.