No longer a rumor: The SNES Classic Mini is coming soon

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Sarge
Next-Gen

Re: Rumor: The SNES Classic Mini is coming soon

Post by Sarge »

nightrnr wrote:Besides, if the chip is being emulated somehow, is the actual chip technology being used at that point?

Depends if the emulation comes from reverse-engineering the chip, or from the documentation from the original developer. Nintendo would fall into the latter. I also don't know if there are any patents involved.
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

Post by retrosportsgamer »

marurun wrote:Super Tennis or Super Tecmo Bowl I would presume are two of the most likely sports titles. And you're right. Mario Paint does have a peripheral limitation. That was one title I really waffled on. Well, a sport title could push that off the list and that problem would be eliminated.

Tecmo Super Bowl never made its way to any past Virtual Console like Tecmo Bowl did though. They already had the famicom Tecmo Bowl out in NA (all numbers - no player names) so it's inclusion on the mini wasn't a big surprise .
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

If there's any football title, it'll be something without an NFL license.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Y'all are proving my contention that sports games are outside my are of expertise. Keep it coming!
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Anayo
Next-Gen

Post by Anayo »

I wonder if the reason the NES classic is cancelled has to do with whatever licensing agreement Nintendo reached with Capcom and Konami and whoever else had 3rd party games being sold on the thing. Not sure if that's 100% on-topic, it just occurred to me.
marlowe221
Next-Gen

Post by marlowe221 »

I'm going to have to put on my lawyer hat for a minute here, since unfortunately I am a lawyer, and dump some cold water on some of the game selections I'm seeing here. Specifically, the DKC games and Super Mario RPG would be problematic, though others have been mentioned as well.

The fact that Nintendo published a game back in the 1990s does not necessarily mean that they have the rights to do so forever. Most publishing/licensing agreements have an expiration date and I cannot imagine that any of them from back then would still be in effect. Not only that, but publishing deals are also often limited to a specific platform as well - which means that current presence on the Wii U/3DS Virtual Console may not mean much. And if there were any indepedent contractors who worked on a game, their rights as independent creators may have to be taken into account as well (game music is often not written in-house, for example).

Licensing is going to be a HUGE issue for a SNES Classic/Mini, if it ever exists. It could exist, but Nintendo is going to have to make a lot more deals with outside companies/individuals if they plan to include the highlights of the system than they did for the NES Classic.
Have: Sega Genesis, SNES, Atari 2600, Atari 7800, Atari 800XL, PC, N3DS XL, Wii U, GBA, Xbox One, Switch

Want: Games!!!
wclem
Next-Gen

Post by wclem »

They just announced this thing it seems. Do not know if anyone else mentioned. Wonder if they will make enough that the resellers do not prevent people from getting them at retail. Got mine by accident by just being in the right place at the right time.

It is horrible how they handled the NES one and many people were and are still shut out. Forcing many people to overpay to get them. Let's see Nintendo's recent history. Drop the under supported WiiU after only 3 years. A Wii full of trash games (yes I know there were some good games). Sorry but the Switch launch games and current lineup are lacking severely. A few first party games upcoming but nothing in the range of Sony or Microsoft. Also their pricing on new controllers is stupid too.

They put out good games, do not get me wrong but they have done some really crappy things of recent and this will be a real test in my opinion of how much I support Nintendo in the future. Under supplying something and leaving people out in the cold is wrong. Why not take pre-orders, what better way to gauge manufacturing predictions than pre-selling?

Under powered, under delivered and way under supported is the face of Nintendo these days. They have some good things but they have made some crap decisions also.
dsheinem wrote:In any case, sorry that my avatar makes you cringe these days, but I haven't really changed my posing habits at all.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Well, I called only 13 of the titles in my prognostication, and if the rumors about the Argonaut legal complexities were as true as the internet used to make them out to be, I'd probably have hit 16 correct. But alas, the internet rumor mill must have been mistaken, because there be Super FX games on that there system.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

So so not good, not cool. Starfox2 are you f*cking kidding me?! The only legitimate release of that gem finally Nintendo not being douchebags about it after 25 years.

It maybe a shorter library but the pedigree of what is there is maddeningly good, really good.

I fear this will be a scalpers wet dream and this one I would fight to get if anything just and only just for a legit copy of Starfox 2.

marlowe221 wrote:I'm going to have to put on my lawyer hat for a minute here, since unfortunately I am a lawyer, and dump some cold water on some of the game selections I'm seeing here. Specifically, the DKC games and Super Mario RPG would be problematic, though others have been mentioned as well.[

Well if I recall correctly that the DKC games Rare were hired on to do the work, but Nintendo retained control of them, so I don't think it would be an issue. SMRPG, where's the problem? FF3 and SOM are on there, they're Square releases, so a co-Squate/Nintendo title wouldn't be farfetched in the least.
marurun

Post by marurun »

I think everyone will have to be on their toes. This is surely just a limited release, just like the NES Classic Mini, to keep people occupied until Nintendo can properly orchestrate the VC on Switch. Though I hope they have learned their lesson and have more units entering production this time.

If Amazon offers pre-orders for this I'm on it.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile