No longer a rumor: The SNES Classic Mini is coming soon

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Hazerd
Next-Gen

Re: Rumor: The SNES Classic Mini is coming soon

Post by Hazerd »

No sport titles unless you count Punch-out, kinda funny to me. Has my 4 favorite SNES games, Super Castlevania IV, Mario RPG, FF3, Secret of Mana.

This is just crazy, ill be standing in line at Target for sure, unless i can get a pre-order in somewhere.

Ive said if they make a SNES Classic ill buy at least 3, and im sticking to it!
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Hazerd wrote:No sport titles unless you count Punch-out, kinda funny to me.

Well, in fairness, retro sports games age well for almost no one. Except Brad. But he's a little crazy. :P
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:Well, in fairness, retro sports games age well for almost no one. Except Brad. But he's a little crazy. :P

I think it depends more on the game itself. Things mentioned earlier in the thread, like NBA Jam, would fit in just as well as stuff like Street Fighter II does. However, it was never really an annual release either. Maybe Nintendo kept to a small circle of publishers for this.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I'm sure it's mostly not wanting to pay for the NBA/NFL/MLB/NHL/whatever licenses.

Tecmo Super Bowl III is still a really good football game. NBA Jam is fun even today.
theclaw
Next-Gen

Post by theclaw »

marurun wrote:Well, I called only 13 of the titles in my prognostication, and if the rumors about the Argonaut legal complexities were as true as the internet used to make them out to be, I'd probably have hit 16 correct. But alas, the internet rumor mill must have been mistaken, because there be Super FX games on that there system.

It probably took this long to sort out. Argonaut spun off a technology branch, and had their corpse hacked up through bankruptcy.
Lum fan.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

marurun wrote:I think everyone will have to be on their toes. This is surely just a limited release, just like the NES Classic Mini, to keep people occupied until Nintendo can properly orchestrate the VC on Switch. Though I hope they have learned their lesson and have more units entering production this time.

If Amazon offers pre-orders for this I'm on it.

Total agreement, but keep in mind the last time it came around the scalper trolls bot slammed Amazon and no one could get one. At best it got into the cart, then the cart got erased, and moments later the site looked to have gone offline on that very page until they were out of stock. Fury, rage, and disappointment followed in not that specific order all over seeing them pre-sell online for 4-5x the value plus.

I hope they got smart and pump some real supply this time instead of playing the mystified stupid card as no one's buying it again.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Nintendo made 1.5 mil classics worldwide. If the US got 500k of them, I doubt even 1% were snatched up by scalpers. Nintendo says they will be manufacturing more this time, but it will still be a limited release. They do not want to be a "TV game" company.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

Post by retrosportsgamer »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:

Well, in fairness, retro sports games age well for almost no one. Except Brad. But he's a little crazy. :P

Do not judge me for finally getting Tecmo Super Bowl for the PS1 this past weekend.

Sports games are just impossible license-wise. NBA Jam couldn't happen. The only one they brought to VC was the jp version of Tecmo Bowl with player numbers (no NFL license )
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

retrosportsgamer wrote:
ElkinFencer10 wrote:

Do not judge me for finally getting Tecmo Super Bowl for the PS1 this past weekend.

I'm not judging you anymore than we all judge me for dropping $100 on the Mr. Happiness edition of Gal*Gun Double Peace. :lol:
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

theclaw
Next-Gen

Post by theclaw »

retrosportsgamer wrote:
ElkinFencer10 wrote:

Sports games are just impossible license-wise. NBA Jam couldn't happen. The only one they brought to VC was the jp version of Tecmo Bowl with player numbers (no NFL license )

It brings up a good question I never thought to ask Tecmo Bowl fans. Were player stats changed in the jp version? Or were they just renamed, skin tone changed if necessary?
The original famicom release was licensed.
Lum fan.