Super Famicom Games

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Re: Super Famicom Games

Post by Tanooki »

I've heard or seen that more times than I can remember yet I've never tried it. If that conversion Square-Enix is doing of the trilogy has english and hits a physical piece of media anywhere in the world for Switch I'm buying it if anything just for SD3 alone as I still own the other two almost entirely complete on both (minus the SOM box, FFA = CIB+map.) :)
strangenova
Next-Gen

Post by strangenova »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:ROMs can be patched with another ROM.

So, for instance, you can get a Japanese Terranigma and patch it with the PAL version. You can also get cheaper Japanese versions of games like E.V.O. and EarthBound and patch them with the North American ROM. This is done with LunarIPS. The JPN->PAL Terranigma one is already widely circulated. Check the first page of the Retron 5 thread for the link.

If we're talkin' RPGs I'd also like to recommend Alcahest, Bahamut Lagoon, Der Langrisser, Emerald Dragon, Final Fantasy V, Front Mission, Live A Live, Neugier: Umi to Kaze no Kodo, Treasure Hunter G, and Wonder Project J.

Thanks for the tip on translations, and yeah Im already planning to scoop up the super famicom version of Chrono Trigger.

I've heard Bahamut Lagoon get mentioned alot, is it really all that good? Like how does it compare to the greatest rpgs on that we got in North america.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Depends on if you really like SRPGs or not. I'm not a huge fan of them, with some exceptions, but I do hear it's excellent. I still think Front Mission: Gun Hazard is the best SquareSoft game we missed out on, even more so than Seiken Densetsu 3.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

strangenova wrote:I've heard Bahamut Lagoon get mentioned alot, is it really all that good? Like how does it compare to the greatest rpgs on that we got in North america.

It's a great game. The Fantasy Anime review sums it up well:

Bahamut Lagoon rulz!! =D The graphics and animation makes me piss in my pants, and it'll make you piss in your pants too, dammit. The battles are SO FUN!! Yoyo (one of the main characters) is a slutty, weak-minded whore. Even the almighty Tomato is disgusted by her. Here's a quote from his translation notes:

"She's just plain stupid, and although that's not a problem in the plot, her dialogue and stuff was so stupidly written I wanna barf. Anyway, I didn't have to try too hard to bring across her ditziness."

Heh. =P Anyway, I highly recommend this game. Just, everything about it is awesome. Ah, but the only thing I don't like about Bahamut Lagoon is that most of the dragons are so butt ugly. There's one example toward the left. It's like Slimer from Ghostbusters after three hours of sex with Monica Lewinsky. That little thing next to it is their daughter, because Monica Lewinsky is known for her quick, unnatural births. Oh and one of the old men in it, Sendak, has a crush on the main character. This scene is one example of his lust for young same-sex meat. Lol sorry, I haven't really said much about the game itself in this opinion. Not much comes to mind when I think of Bahamut Lagoon. Just, the game is awesome, go play it.
strangenova
Next-Gen

Post by strangenova »

...ok you got me at slimer and Monica lewinsky. Adding this game to my wants list, if for nothing but curiosity now...

Seriously though I've never been to big on srpg games though.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

strangenova wrote:That is a hell of a story behind it. Shame about the combat and lack of polish, cause the game looks fantastic in screen shots. Not enough scifi jrpgs. I'll probably just get tales first and sometime down the line I'll get star ocean.

I'd also recommend Tales over Star Ocean, even though that is personally one of my least favorite Tales games. A lot of people here seem to really like Phantastia (not to mention they've generally spent more time with it than I have), and a lot of the things I like more were added later in the series, so it can't be helped (like the 3D battle system and skits).

Not just for Super Famicom either. I'd say the Tales games are better put together and have much better pacing than any of Tri-Ace's RPG's, which tend to have good or different ideas but almost always mediocre or sub-par execution. Mind you, Phantasia is a bit of an exception because it's only the first Tales game and the teams hadn't been split yet, but my opinion still stands as is :P
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me