Which Zelda game were you most excited to play?

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Anayo
Next-Gen

Re: Which Zelda game were you most excited to play?

Post by Anayo »

foxhound1022 wrote:Wind Waker, mostly due to being so disappointed in Majora's Mask.

That's interesting. I remember pre-Windwaker a lot of people were angry it looked so different from Majora's Mask.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I was disappointed in Wind Waker (although I still enjoyed it), and admit that initially, I didn't like the look. However, it looks great in motion, and it grew on me.

Admission time, though: I was actually disappointed by Ocarina, Majora's Mask, and Wind Waker. Ocarina is the best of those, and it took the 3DS version to up my estimation of the game. Twilight Princess was the 3D Zelda that finally impressed me. (And to be clear, I still thought Ocarina was good-to-great, but not "best game of all time" material.)
Anayo
Next-Gen

Post by Anayo »

Sarge wrote:I was disappointed in Wind Waker (although I still enjoyed it), and admit that initially, I didn't like the look. However, it looks great in motion, and it grew on me.

Admission time, though: I was actually disappointed by Ocarina, Majora's Mask, and Wind Waker. Ocarina is the best of those, and it took the 3DS version to up my estimation of the game. Twilight Princess was the 3D Zelda that finally impressed me. (And to be clear, I still thought Ocarina was good-to-great, but not "best game of all time" material.)

Do you like Link to the Past more? With the Zelda fandom I've noticed it's like there's one camp that reveres Link to the Past as the best Zelda ever, and another that gives that distinction to Ocarina of Time.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

It's interesting how divisive the gap is with OoT and as someone who grew up and started on both Zelda 1 and 2, I'm not sure how nostalgia factors in anywhere for me. But Mario 64 was mindblowing when it dropped and then OoT was a religious experience. There was nothing else to really compare it to at the time style wise. It was a magical experience. Then and now I've always liked Link to the Past the most, but OoT feels like one of the most important game releases of my whole life time alongside FF7. Both might have rapid fanbases, but I think they're completely deserving of them.

I was really disappointed with Wind Waker at the time. I'm still not a fan, but I've come to appreciate its art style and the combat is excellent. But back then when it came out, it wasn't exactly fresh on the cel shading thing... I wasn't a real big fan of that and so many games were coming out with it. It made sense for anime stuff like the cool Robotech game, but yeah. Now I can look back and appreciate some of it though. I think Skyward Sword and Breath of the Wild have my favorite 3D Zelda look, it's the best of both worlds with slightly more realistic looking designs here and there but still with the bright colors of Wind Waker.

I think Twilight Princess was the one I was most excited about after OoT.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Anayo wrote:Do you like Link to the Past more? With the Zelda fandom I've noticed it's like there's one camp that reveres Link to the Past as the best Zelda ever, and another that gives that distinction to Ocarina of Time.

Link's Awakening is my drug of choice, but A Link to the Past is 1a).

And to be clear, even weaker Zelda games are better than most. It's just with all the massive hype around the game, I was expecting something that would floor me with Ocarina.
foxhound1022
Next-Gen

Post by foxhound1022 »

I just loathed the whole premise of MM, with the whole repeating thing.

On the flip side, the new art style of WW was really appealing to me then and now. I do admit that traveling did become cumbersome after awhile, but all in all, I'd put it in my top 3 LoZ's.

I also have the apparently unpopular opinion of not liking TP.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

While I've always loved TP and replaying the remaster cemented it as one of my top favorites, I was honestly a little surprised to see it has some fans here. I was there when TP was new and ever since then it's always seemed like one of the more unpopular installments apparently.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Best 2D Zelda: A Link to the Past
Best 3D Zelda*: Twilight Princess
Best handheld Zelda: Oracle of Ages

*This doesn't account for BotW, as I haven't played through it yet.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I can get on board with that. Oracle of Ages is also fantastic. Actually, all the 2D sprite-based ones are. (No, I'm not counting Four Swords or Tri Force Heroes.)

I'm dead serious when I say I can't accurately rate my favorite 3D Zelda. Ocarina (in 3DS form), Twilight, Skyward, and BotW are vying for the honor. I suspect, though, my eventual answer would be Twilight, simply because it's the more balanced "traditional" entry into the series.
strangenova
Next-Gen

Post by strangenova »

Best 2D: Link to The Past
Best 3D: Wind Waker
Best Handheld: Links Awakening
Best Open-World: Breath of the Wild

I know I cheated but I hate to take Wind Waker down because Breath of the Wild is just such a different beast from all the other Zelda games.