Black Wii (2nd model) Console -- value?

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Black Wii (2nd model) Console -- value?

Post by Tanooki »

Oddly enough stumbled into one of these today locally earlier ago. It came with the pro controller but no wii motion plus(it came with) and nunchuk but is otherwise all there. It's not too scuffed up, was able to buff a bit of it out.

Either way I'm kind of on the fence with this. I have spare sets of white remote/nunchuk original style controllers so I was able to test the menu, but not the game disc function yet (will go find something in a bit cheap.)

I was wondering if any of you kept up on values. I'm kind of at a mental crossroads here. The ONLY reason I got rid of the thing years back was thinking the WiiU wouldn't blow and it ran the same stuff. So I'm like do I keep it? But if so, do I keep this (invested $10 into it) or what would it cost me to find a minimally worn clean same black motion plus model unit without the missing controller parts? Keep what I have, buy the missing bits, or sell it for like $40-50 and use that to get a replacement one that's nicer?

Kind of wondering if I should go down that road or not and trying to access the situation at the moment. I'm perfectly fine having just the Switch and that Dreamcast sitting around as it is, but it's not like the Wii didn't have a decent library of decent enough third and first party titles and much of it appears to be quite cheap these days ($20 or less.)
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Re: Black Wii (2nd model) Console -- value?

Post by Tanooki »

I found a mispriced wii motion plus for $4 and a copy of Wii Sports Resort -- Pleased to say the system works 100%.

Now those questions are even more important to me. I have to figure if being OCD about condition is important or not I guess on the keep side of things.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

I accidentally bought this Black Wii second model years ago (got scammed selling my original one on craigslist, long story). I had no idea until I got home that this crap doesn't play GC games.

I think the red Wii is worth more. Which I also own and can't remember why.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

I'm afraid the financial value of a Wii isn't terribly high. There's low demand coupled with high supply. The Wii was one of the best selling consoles of all time, but there are few interested buyers today. I would peg the price around ten to twenty-five dollars depending on condition and included accessories.

However, there's more than one kind of value. If we set aside dollars and consider what value a Wii could hold for you, there's a bit more opportunity.

Wii can be a fun little emulation box, a neat hacking project, or a Netflix box in addition to being a great console. I say don't worry about the money, and just have fun tinkering with your Wii.
Fragems
Next-Gen

Post by Fragems »

The second revision is probably the least desired due to the lack of GC support and the fact that cosmetically it's identical to the first version. At least in my area you can walk into any pawnshop and get an original Wii + Wii Mote + Nunchuck for around $20-30 so the value is pretty low.

You might want to check Amazon though they seem to be go go for Wii's and they no longer have pricing for different grades of condition. Alot of the Wii's are a $40+ trade in as long as you have a controller to go with them plus anything else that was bundled with them.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Hmm interesting, that $40 value is kind of what I was actually seeing on ebay after writing that initially if I threw in my spare white wiimote and nunchuk with it. The pro controller seems to retain a $20 value which is nice, but that I'd straight up want to keep.

That $40 seems about right for a loose complete black Wii on ebay as of late, if you get one complete in the box all nice and pretty around $70-80 though pre-shipping. All things considered given the library, that's cheap.

The advice is helpful so far. I'm going to leave it plugged in for a few days probably like through the weekend and see how I feel about it before I proceed. I've got no use for an emulation box when my shield tablet can outperform it on that end, plus I'd have to invest in some hacking time and external hard drive which seems like too much work to figure out.

I think if I kept it I know a few games I missed, a few I'd replay, no wall of games would happen of it though. I couldn't leave it there for $10 knowing I had some working mismatch controllers as I figured if it was roached the parts alone were more than worth my bother.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Any Wii worth keeping for all the Wii games
I prefer the first vertical model not because of Gamecube game compatibility, but the Gamecube controller ports. It allows more versatility in adapters for various controllers. For example, Wii Metal Slug Anthology does not have Classic Controller support but can be played with an Arcade Stick thru the Gamecube ports. The Wii console and games currently are inexpensive, instead of running Wii games in the WiiU adding to wear mileage.

Seriously, take another look at all the Wii games out there. Many gems are under five bucks!
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

I agree on that point just by looking at half price books 2 shelves of stuff last night when I went looking for something cheap and suitable (ie: Wii Sports Resort.) Unlike gamestop which is ripping off pretty hard on stuff (why am I not surprised) they had the same games for a lot less and more. I verified that more poking a stick at some stuff on ebay, shipped values mind you. GS wanted $20 for either Mario Galaxy and Kirby Return to Dreamland was $50. The SMGs were $12-15 and Kirby was around $20 on ebay. Perhaps that's some gamestop strategy to hose people on the buy something free something they do.

The most expensive game I came across I'd probably snap up would be Fragile, it was rolling around $40-50 in open auction, though most trolls keep posting BINs around $60-70 that don't sell which seems like a senseless effort.

I'm fairly familiar with the library outside of the vast majority of shovelware and pure licensed garbage as I had a Wii in the past when it was still getting games. I guess if I did keep it, this is that prime valley period where things tend to bottom out before going up (if they do with the vast amounts of them like PS2 stuff.)
theclaw
Next-Gen

Post by theclaw »

Some 90 million units sold before they removed GC features. In number, the rest are drastically less common. Try to find Wii Mini at a price worthy of its uselessness. :lol:

Hey it still plays Metroid Prime Trilogy and Mario Galaxy, that's a plus.
Lum fan.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

It arrived, can't fire it up now but eyeballing it looks fine and wasn't a mess as listed (it's ebay so you know.) I haven't dug it all out but I did see the throw in games 2 of the 3 are sealed, but they're just those dance/zumba junk but still it's something to lessen the blow when I ditch the other wii. Not dug out the audio CD or Mario yet but they're tucked in tight, wondering if they never got pulled.

A value the wii mini is worth? $20? I read up what was removed and they took it a bit too far.