NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Binding of Isaac Afterbirth +

by Tanooki Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:46 pm

Well it's out today. Anyone grab this like I did?

I'm enjoyed it the little I've tapped into it so far, but it does confuse me a bit too. It seems more like a procedurally generated game where you luck (good or bad) into a situation you can handle by the room really. It's very rogue like with some very thick Zelda 1 mechanics to it down to quite a few of the items and general layout which is nice.

I seem to get up on a screen there like 6 'floor' boxes and then the boss one and I can get around 4 into it before I get crushed. I've unlocked one of the characters already (forget name, he floats has -1 hearts) which was pretty cool. It seems to be more of short run in, go somewhere, die eventually and do it again thing. Or is there more after the boss that I'm missing? I like it, but also glad I'm only $35 into it too as it seems fairly priced at that level.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Re: Binding of Isaac Afterbirth +

by dunpeal2064 Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:10 pm

My info on the game is based on my time (500+ hours) spent with Rebirth. I haven't played Afterbirth yet.

Tanooki wrote: It seems more like a procedurally generated game where you luck (good or bad) into a situation you can handle by the room really.

It is definitely doing the procedural generation thing. Sometimes you can get really junk stuff back to back. That said, once you become more familiar with the game, you'll find that most runs are very do-able.

Tanooki wrote:It seems to be more of short run in, go somewhere, die eventually and do it again thing. Or is there more after the boss that I'm missing?

It is to an extent, but you aren't able to see the full extent of the game until several runs in. The game opens up slowly the more you play it.

I'll definitely be picking this up soon. The Binding of Isaac is my favorite Indie game, and one of my favorite games period.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:47 pm

I'd never played Binding of Isaac before my copy of Afterbirth+ got here yesterday, and I'm...not impressed. I despise roguelike games in general because they always feel aimless and with no purpose, but I'm a big fan of games with religious allusions, and given that the premise of the game is steeped in Christian mythology, I wanted to give it a shot. I'm sure I'll play it some every now and then, but this is definitely not a game I'm going to sink much dedicated time into or am all that find of.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:49 pm

ElkinFencer10 wrote:I despise roguelike games in general because they always feel aimless and with no purpose

wwwhhhhhaaaaaa????????????
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:19 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:
ElkinFencer10 wrote:I despise roguelike games in general because they always feel aimless and with no purpose

wwwhhhhhaaaaaa????????????

I know, I'm a heretic. I need some kind of overarching objective or end game towards which to work.

noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:56 pm

Have you played Spelunky, Elkin?
laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

by laurenhiya21 Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:10 pm

I've only played a little bit of it, but I think I like it so far. It's definitely going to take a lot more attempts to beat it, but I did get to the third floor on one or two of my attempts so I have been progressing at least.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:52 am

noiseredux wrote:Have you played Spelunky, Elkin?

I've not. I keep meaning to try it, but I've never gotten around to it.

jay_red
Next-Gen

by jay_red Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:41 pm

Grabbed a copy yesterday, I had been on the fence since I played the original a fair amount, but none of the sequels, but then I saw that people were starting to scalp it on ebay and decided to snag myself one before it becomes hard to find for a normal price. I was able to get a copy from my local Fry's which had like 10 copies on the shelf (I notice a lot of times I can find games there that are sold out everywhere else). The guy at the counter looks at the game with a strange face, and asks "what kind of game is this?" and I tried to explain to him as generically as I could but he didn't seem to get it. :lol:

I played a bit with my Wife last night, we had fun but never got too far, I could not get a good run going and got frustrated after about 10 failed runs. Not sure if its just been a while, or the game got harder with the expansions, but it is kicking my ass, and then I see there is a hard mode?!
My trade thread, updated 7/14
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=30531&p=421248#p421248
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:34 pm

It's just that random and difficult. I'm in the same boat like I said having only played the original. I'd like to think this maybe harder because you have even more variables as far as more enemies, more enemy patterns, and more AI to deal with in general along with the added perks. It's just tricky to almost the point of sheer randomness when you'll get a full run on it because of how it procedurally generates each room and the enemies within it.

Fry's has always been that way, it's the one retail store I miss from out west as you can get all sorts of stuff, it's like a mini-amazon retail shop basically. Closest one for years I know of is around Chicago and that's liek 6 hours or so from here so that's not happening.

My way of dodging the scalping idiots who bag the lower print run games or the launch title stuff trying to hose people is just using amazon and avoiding the stupid stuff, plus you get 20% off anyway with prime so it only set me back $35. I'll be doing the same with Ultra SF2 in May which has now been dated to then with also a $40 price tag.
Return to Nintendo