NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Re: Zelda Breath of the Wild - Wii U vs. Switch

by Xeogred Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:56 pm

So replace the water with grass. I don't want Breath of the Wild to end up like that. Small dungeons has me really worried.

I never ever hear anyone talk about Xenoblade X's story... it's a shame Gears/Saga underperformed and Tetsuya Takahashi really took it to heart and continues to diminish the emphasis on his insane storytelling. Xenoblade's was great, but pretty much a standard shonen tale compared to Gears/Saga. And then X, I just never hear anything about. I'll check it out sometime but everything I hear doesn't make it sound like it will be for me. I've beaten every Xeno game up to this point and that one might end the streak... lol
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:55 pm

Someone somewhere else made a good point: They're scaled back compared to something like Twilight Princess. That had some of the most complex dungeons in the series. Plus, if we're going with Zelda 1 comparisons, those dungeons were comparatively simple compared to today's dungeons, but they were also muy difícil.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:04 pm

Yup, I'd even argue the most cryptic moments of Zelda 1 are navigating some of the tricks on the overworld haha. Other than that, the dungeons are just combat arenas (and very hard at that, especially if you were a young kid like me and never knew about the better swords...)

Complex dungeons though, that's what I want! :x
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:05 pm

Hey, I hear ya. I'm trying to keep an open mind, though. :)
Reprise
Next-Gen

by Reprise Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:08 pm

As someone who has rarely ever been able to get into or enjoy the mechanics of Western RPGs, someone who has grown tired of open world games, and someone loves Zelda and more Japanese style Adventure games and RPGs, then yeah, you can guess I am slightly worried. I'm also incredibly excited though. I just hope it's everything I hope it is and not what I fear it may be.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation One, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo Switch, OUYA.

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
Twitter: https://twitter.com/366GamesToPlay
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:36 pm

If it's basically Zelda-flavored Skyrim like everyone was clamoring for years ago, I will not be happy. I don't think it will be, but... yeah.
Reprise
Next-Gen

by Reprise Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:48 pm

I hope not. I want a Zelda game. If I wanted a Skyrim game, I'd play Skyrim.

I don't mind Nintendo changing things up and exploring new mechanics and themes with Zelda (look at Majora's Mask for example), but I don't want them to pander to Western fads.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation One, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo Switch, OUYA.

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
Twitter: https://twitter.com/366GamesToPlay
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:36 pm

Looks like we're on the same page Reprise.

What gives me hope is that I think Phantom Pain and Final Fantasy XV did the open world thing well. Now I know Phantom Pain was hit or miss for some here and I myself kind of walked away from FFXV hating it after I beat it... it at least did the open world stuff in a way I liked it. They didn't go all Ubisoft with millions of icons, ingredients, collectibles, and clutter on the map, so it was kind of a minimalistic approach in comparison to Ubisoft/Bethesda/etc games.

Hopefully the Japanese-isms are in Zelda too. Maybe it will blow TPP and FFXV out of the water and do it best.

Now on a side note, does anyone know if this will be dual audio? I still think it's weird to hear English in Zelda, so I'd probably play in Japanese if it's there.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:09 pm

Sarge wrote:If it's basically Zelda-flavored Skyrim like everyone was clamoring for years ago, I will not be happy. I don't think it will be, but... yeah.

I'll be less than thrilled if some of the rumors about gear/weapons breaking very often is in there, as the last thing I want to do is waste hours of time (cumulatively speaking) hunting down lame resources to hammer something together. If I wanted that kind of abuse I'd go play monster hunter (which is why I do not.)
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:34 pm

Tanooki wrote:
Sarge wrote:If it's basically Zelda-flavored Skyrim like everyone was clamoring for years ago, I will not be happy. I don't think it will be, but... yeah.

I'll be less than thrilled if some of the rumors about gear/weapons breaking very often is in there, as the last thing I want to do is waste hours of time (cumulatively speaking) hunting down lame resources to hammer something together. If I wanted that kind of abuse I'd go play monster hunter (which is why I do not.)

As I mentioned above, Game Informer spent a lot of time with it with Nintendo (more than anyone so far I think) and noted that things break very often. So much to the extent that they compared it to how this may have been Bungie's design for Halo, you're usually cycling two weapons a lot constantly. But... FPS's are faster paced and yeah, everything I've seen about the system here doesn't look very fun to me. I hope it's not lots of fluff and micromanagement. They said that there's always a lot of enemies and things to pickup, but constantly having to do this sounds like it would get old pretty fast.
Return to Nintendo