Zelda Breath of the Wild - Wii U vs. Switch

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
marurun

Re: Zelda Breath of the Wild - Wii U vs. Switch

Post by marurun »

Lynels drop some premium gear. Totally worth it. Just gotta fight smart. And have upgraded outfits.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

Post by casterofdreams »

When the blood moon rises I always farm Silver Lynels for the gear then go my merry way. The highest level bow they drop is beyond ridiculous.

The game becomes temporarily broken when you have a 5x high level Lynel bow and bomb arrows.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Who is Lynel?
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

noiseredux wrote:Who is Lynel?

He wrote that song "Hello".
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

Post by casterofdreams »

Had to double check if I messed up the spelling somewhere :lol:
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

It's really insane how different one playthrough can be from another. I spent a lot of the 4th running around Hyrule. But I was seeing all these areas I never saw in my first 25 hours. Like... there's apparently an island with these colossi that you have to survive with no gear? Huh. Alright, well I'll come back to that one haha. For the most part those tests of strength shrines are ones I'll come back to. The puzzle ones are far more chill and pleasing to me.
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

noiseredux wrote:It's really insane how different one playthrough can be from another. I spent a lot of the 4th running around Hyrule. But I was seeing all these areas I never saw in my first 25 hours. Like... there's apparently an island with these colossi that you have to survive with no gear? Huh. Alright, well I'll come back to that one haha. For the most part those tests of strength shrines are ones I'll come back to. The puzzle ones are far more chill and pleasing to me.

I always mark the Major Test of Strength shrines on my map. Blood Moons cause the guardian inside to respawn so they are a great place to farm weapons late in the game.

The island you mentioned is a really fun challenge. If you like it, the DLC has a similar event called the Trial of the Sword which upgrades the Master Sword.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

MrPopo wrote:

He wrote that song "Hello".

Is it me you are looking for?

About my barren comment. I understand the world is being rebuilt after the cataclysm. But there are very few people traveling on the road and worse very few creatures. The creatures you do meet are in only a handful of patterns and will run only so far before they disappear. It just left a bad taste in my mouth - my only criticism of the game, other than white bokoblins...
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

alright so usually when I write about a shorter game on my blog I'll just put my thoughts together when I'm done. But often for longer games I'll keep a running document as I'm playing. These sort of play-along journals have often ended up being some of my favorite documented recollections of games, so I figured I'd posts the work in progress in this thread...

Introduction - Hyrule

I went to the woods because it was hot out. I wished to escape my game room; to drink coffee in the gazebo while my wife read her book. The birds chirped around us. It was around this time last year that I first played Zelda: Breath Of The Wild - in fact it was the sole game that I bought with my Switch, back when finding the console itself meant calling multiple stores every day for over a week. At first I was in awe of the game, but after twenty-five hours I called it quits with a more sour outlook. Although I had enjoyed the visuals, the controls, the tone... I was starting to get frustrated with how difficult it was to actually progress. I found myself in a hurry. I just wanted to see the end-credits roll. I became obsessed with the destination so much that I wasn't able to enjoy the journey. I actually let all of this cloud my vision - proclaiming that against the opinions of all the critics out there, Breath Of The Wild was not actually the best game of 2017.

Looking back it was this kind of rush that is the antithesis of not only Breath Of The Wild, but of the escapism that games are supposed to offer us in the first place. So I went back into the woods because I was ready to get back to basics. Replaying the game this year I've learned just how wrong I had been. The game was never the problem - it was my own expectations with it. It was never meant to be a game with linear beats. I fire it up and I have no preconceptions about how much I should be accomplishing or even what I should be doing. Much like how my greatest moments of enjoyment in Grand Theft Auto V and Skyrim came from 'doing nothing,' I'm now learning that letting the current take you where it wants within Hyrule is the only way to play Breath Of The Wild. In forcing myself back to a simpler time pre-internet where I can't just look up solutions to shrine puzzles or even try to figure out where I should go next means that I'm just as lost as Link. And I'm in just as much amazement by each new minor discovery.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Chapter 1 - The Economy

How does one survive Hyrule? First I must take care of the four necessities: food, shelter, clothing and fuel. Food is simple. It's everywhere. There's apples and bananas growing on trees. There's meat dropped by fallen foes. Of course I choose to make combat barely a priority. I hate stealth in games but in this game it simply means finding an alternate path. I try to put my Spirit Orbs into making my stamina wheel bigger which means that the world becomes far more vertical. I'm gonna climb some mountains to choose not to fight. Don't get me wrong - I will fight, but only when I have to. Part of that is because weapons break and I fucking hate that big time. It's my biggest pet peeve about the game. But the other more embarrassing reason is because I find the combat in this game truly difficult. In no other Zelda game are grunt foes so intimidating. Many can one hit kill you without a thought. You will die a lot in Breath Of The Wild. I hate to use the Dark Souls simile but man... that red GAME OVER font might as well say YOU DIED. Oh the other thing is that you have to learn to cook food - like recipes. I find that sort of a pain, but then again it's certainly helpful when I'm up against a difficult situation and find I have a meal that can keep me warm or prolong my stamina or refill my hearts fully. In a way this reminds me of Monster Hunter. It's no secret that BOTW borrows from a lot of games, and that's fine. Because it borrows really well.

Shelter is a different story. In that sense Breath Of The Wild truly does feel like a SURVIVAL game, y'know? The elements are really out to get you here. Rain makes it hard to climb stuff because the surfaces are wet. Lightning is attracted to your metal weapons so you need to unequip them and swap in wooden stuff. It's possible for environments to get too hot or too cold, depleting your life. You can use buffs to help you through this but damn. I never had to think about this stuff in Link To The Past or Wind Waker - my other two favorite Zelda games, so what the heck? It feels so harsh. And yet... I kind of need it.

As far as clothing goes, you can obviously buy some in towns. But like in any RPG (yes, I'm calling Zelda an RPG for the sake of this writing exercise - just go with it) I'm very careful with my rupees. So mostly I just stick to what I NEED and mostly what I need is whatever I happen to find. To me that makes the game feel unique in the sense that I'm not just buying the best shit. So my gear is what I happened to come across. In a weird way that makes it feel closer to a Rogue-like or something. Kind of. One of my favorite moments of this replay was being in the right place at the right time to witness a falling star that led to a Xenoblade 2 helmet. I mean that's pretty cool right?

I don't know what to say about fuel. Wouldn't't that be food? I'd think so. Unless it's the Spirit Orbs which mean either extra hearts or extra stamina. And I already addressed that. I'm focusing on stamina for now. I'll swap in one heart every eight orbs. But I fear that makes me timid. Then again, I am trying to live off the land here. I'm at the mercy of mother nature. There's no reason for me to be overpowered.

Okay and when all that is said and done - I kind of have to talk about rupees within the economy right? Well here's the deal: they're not as abundant as in EVERY other Zelda game. Instead it's all about selling shit that you forage. Which is fine because I mostly hate crafting in games. For the most part I pick up EVERYTHING and just sell the majority of the stuff I don't think I need. I hang on to all the ancient parts for now because I know they come in handy later. Though I actually forget how or why.