Zelda Breath of the Wild - Wii U vs. Switch

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
CFFJR
Next-Gen

Re: Zelda Breath of the Wild - Wii U vs. Switch

Post by CFFJR »

BogusMeatFactory wrote:
CFFJR wrote:Ok, just to the right of that area is a bokoblin base built into a tree. There are three plants below it that bear chili peppers. Cook 2 or 3 peppers at once in the nearby campfire to make a dish that when eaten will give you resistance to cold for a few minutes.

Make a couple of those (there are enough peppers to get about 20 minutes worth of resistance) and you'll have more than enough time to place that platform and get up to the shrine.

OR just light a torch, set it on the ground beside you and it will keep you warm enough to do your work... which is what my 14 year old brother in law did when he tried it out today. I just wore warm clothes

Heh, well, more proof that there are plenty of options. I didn't know you could set a lit torch on the ground. Never thought to try honestly.

My fiancee started the game today and I've been enjoying how she's approached some things differently than I did.

Its nice that the game offers that freedom.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Ok I think this game just hit the real open world aspect as all sense of direction entirely just vanished. I got into the tech lab, got the item from the restored stone, and sent back to Impa. She pointed out the stuff on that item and said find one of those spots and she'll give you a gift. Nice and all that, but the game has given no pointers where to go as far as finding the 4 beasts lands and doing whatever of something there.

I ran off north of town there, got killed in some damn storm by an enemy and it kicked me back to town which was a good 10+min time waster at the least.

I'm either doing something wrong, or I don't and will never understand the concept of an open world game as just running around lost does nothing for me. Do I need to find one of these camera spots somewhere in the world, then she'll tell me where to go next?
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

I have spent 2 hours trying to complete the shrine that is called 'A Modest Test of Strength'.

I can't do it, it's borderline impossible man. I'm going to leave it, but I feel I've just wasted nearly 2 hours trying to do it :?

I'm talking about this one for those who aren't sure (minor spoiler of course): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ilj8gIh7yHQ
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

GOTY
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

I got back from a wedding today, and finally sat down with Zelda on my new Switch.

I'm at about 5 hours in now, and exploring the area just east of the great plateau. I just got to the tower to get the map for that area, but I did a good bit of exploring before that.

I've taken out a couple of those big stone guys now, have a ton of stones. Not a clue what they're used for though, I assume maybe I'll find out when I get to the first village. I'm guessing it's either for crafting or for selling.

I'm more curious what I'm getting all these Korok seeds for though - I'm at about 8 or 9 of them now.

Also, being confronted with a choice between an extra heart and a bigger stamina meter was cruel - I definitely wanted the heart, but I'd kill to be able to sprint and swim for longer distances too :lol:
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

alienjesus wrote:I'm more curious what I'm getting all these Korok seeds for though - I'm at about 8 or 9 of them now

Oh, don't sell those or cook/eat them, whatever you do. They come in handy soon enough...
If you complete a sidequest involving a Korok, he'll offer to upgrade your inventory slots in exchange for those seeds, after you've helped him out.

alienjesus wrote:Also, being confronted with a choice between an extra heart and a bigger stamina meter was cruel - I definitely wanted the heart, but I'd kill to be able to sprint and swim for longer distances too :lol:

Personally I went for the heart for the first choice. Upgrading stamina doesn't seem all that important. I did without it and if you ever get low on stamina climbing or swimming or whatever, you can just pause the game and consume a meal or elixer. I went with stamina for my second upgrade though. After that I think I'll just concentrate on hearts.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

casterofdreams
Next-Gen

Post by casterofdreams »

It's GOTY simply because it's a Zelda game with...

LASER WEAPONS

I'm about 10 hours or so in. Knocked out one of the big dungeons and about 15 of those shrines. Got killed a bunch of times, more than every death I've ever had in every Zelda game combined.

Runs well on the Wii U, which was my biggest fear going in, but there are some slow downs. That dungeon I mentioned above was running at a lower FPS a majority of the time I was there.

Something else I wanted to talk about is the music. I think the orchestrated music sounds great. Or at least it sounds like it's orchestrated music. I specially like the ambient music while roaming the wild. Very understated and just fades into the background. I quite like it overall.

Another thing I wanted to mention is that the game can be played on the Wii U game pad so its like a poor mans Switch. Yeah that observation is pointless but still...

Edit: added another point.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Where can you see your time?

Time for my thoughts:

Just a reminder, I'm also playing on the U and it's completely fine.

I'm about 7 or so shrines in and in the eastern area now. I'm loving the cooking and the weapon breaking doesn't bother me at all. If anything, it's my weapons inventory constantly being full that's the issue. I'm hoping you get some "bags" or something to upgrade your space capacity.

Not to spoil it for others, but you really get this sense with some subtle background context that the game basically starts in the dark world. It's gorgeous and green, but the atmosphere is truly something else. It's very heavy and mysterious. I love when Zelda gets dark and weird like this, which you usually get a sense of in the others at some points. But this... I'd go as far to say both the atmosphere and the game itself is honestly making me think of Dark Souls more than anything and that's a 10 out of 10. It feels like there's so much old history underneath this crumbled kingdom. And gameplay wise there's an awesome sense of discovery and figuring things out on your own. It really does leave you to your own devices literally one minute in.

Was very uneasy about the dub... and I still don't think I like Zelda's voice at all (typical of American over Japanese dubs, she just sounds 10-20 years older than she should be and looks... anyone recall Tenchi, lmfao). But otherwise the voices seem fine and it didn't really make me do a double take and fits. Still, I'm going to say it and be that guy that NEVER wants Link to speak.

I'm still curious as to why Koji Kondo wasn't involved, but I guess they just really wanted to go all out in making this a different beast. The new music still feels very much like Zelda, but it is different. I typically prefer the Skyrim style in open world stuff, constant music and ambience. This doesn't always have it musically, but you can often hear some natural ambiances and life in the distance. It's probably one of the most serene games ever. Again, kind of like Dark Souls. I'll always prefer music in most posts... but this does the silence very well. I really dig a huge adventure that truly feels like you're completely alone.

I've died a lot. Tough Zelda confirmed. Checkpoints are never bad though.

Zelda is all about the dungeons for me as I've discussed here before. But, I think the onslaught of shrines around does feed my appetite there. Even if they're generally just one or two puzzles, they're awesome. I did find one I had no clue on though, but luckily you can fast travel to them so I'll have to go back. I love the sense of progression that the other Zelda's, Metroidvania games, and Souls gives you though. Just love getting items and hoarding that stuff as you get further into the adventure. So far this has enough of some little collectibles and things to give me that vibe. Maybe there will be more elements that fuel that as well. But it will be different, as you seem to get most of the puzzle solving abilities/items right away. So I'm not sure if you get much more equipment later on that gives you completely new abilities or something. No idea.

I just want to get some new clothes haha. I guess you can ink stuff green to look OG, but I hear it's kind of pointless since you'll continually get better equipment after awhile.

Whelp, I'm basically just echoing thoughts posted here and thrown around elsewhere. Was about as skeptical as you could get and I'm absolutely loving it so far. Unlike Final Fantasy XV, as dramatically different as Breath of the Wild is, it still feels like Zelda and the same old Nintendo. Two thumbs up.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

The fact you can and should climb every surface is amazing. It actually makes getting the stamina upgrades worthwhile; I went three hearts, then three stamina, and I've really appreciated the extra stamina for climbing. I think I'm going to go back to hearts for a while, as I have yet to encounter a rock face I couldn't climb (the tallest ones have break points every so often).
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

Ugh it's currently nearly 1:10am and I can't put this game down. The last time I felt like this about a video game, I was probably 13 or 14 years old.

It's crazy how good this game is.