Zelda Breath of the Wild - Wii U vs. Switch

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
marlowe221
Next-Gen

Zelda Breath of the Wild - Wii U vs. Switch

Post by marlowe221 »

Anyone else planning on getting the game for Wii U?

I am. But it's because I'm not sure that I am going to get a Switch at any point in the foreseeable future.
Have: Sega Genesis, SNES, Atari 2600, Atari 7800, Atari 800XL, PC, N3DS XL, Wii U, GBA, Xbox One, Switch

Want: Games!!!
Anayo
Next-Gen

Re: Zelda Breath of the Wild - Wii U vs. Switch

Post by Anayo »

Same.
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

I am.
I will not be getting a Switch at launch... or at all. The switch doesn't seem practical for my family. I also know how Nintendo is with releases at the end of a console's life, so I figured I would pick Breath of the Wild up at launch for the Wii U to be safe and make sure I end up with a copy.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

I'm getting both. I don't want another Twilight Princess Gamecube situation where it's hella expensive when I try to collect it later on down the line.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:I'm getting both. I don't want another Twilight Princess Gamecube situation where it's hella expensive when I try to collect it later on down the line.

Unless there's a notable incentive to owning one version over another, I'm happy just getting it on either console. I don't worry too much about collecting an expensive game for the sake of it if I can have the same experience (on physical media) on another console for cheaper.

Like, recently I gave up worrying about buying Conker's Bad Fur Day on N64 because it's on XBox One now via Rare Replay. Give it a few years and an XBox One and Rare Replay will cost less than Conker's BFD cartridge only on N64 anyhow :lol:

In answer to the original question, I'm going for Switch personally. Performance seems similar or slightly better on Switch from early impressions, and the ability to play it in handheld mode is a big incentive for me.
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

Post by casterofdreams »

If I do plan on getting it, it would be on the Wii U simply because I already have the console. I don't plan on getting the Switch myself so it's nice to play the next Zelda on the older console. Reminds me of when Twilight Princess came out.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

I preordered it on Wii U since I'm not planning on getting a Switch until there's a more substantial library actually on the shelf.

While I can't say that I'm especially excited for Breath of the Wild, I suspect that supply of the Wii U version might be limited. So it's less of an expectation or hope of collectibility down the line, and more of a better safe than sorry kind of deal if I do wind up wanting to play it in the short term.

I expect that, ultimately, the Switch version will be technically superior. However, I suspect that the Wii U version is better than it has looked in comparisons so far. I don't recall seeing any recent builds shown of that version, just of the Switch one. So unless Nintendo completely halted development on the Wii U version, it probably runs better now.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

alienjesus wrote:Unless there's a notable incentive to owning one version over another, I'm happy just getting it on either console. I don't worry too much about collecting an expensive game for the sake of it if I can have the same experience (on physical media) on another console for cheaper.

With most things, that's how I am, but my exception is with series I have a special love for - Legend of Zelda, Fire Emblem (I have Fire Emblem Warriors pre-ordered on Switch and 3DS), and Resident Evil, for example.

alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:
alienjesus wrote:Unless there's a notable incentive to owning one version over another, I'm happy just getting it on either console. I don't worry too much about collecting an expensive game for the sake of it if I can have the same experience (on physical media) on another console for cheaper.

With most things, that's how I am, but my exception is with series I have a special love for - Legend of Zelda, Fire Emblem (I have Fire Emblem Warriors pre-ordered on Switch and 3DS), and Resident Evil, for example.

So do you own Resident Evil 2 on Gamecube, N64 and PS1?

I think the 3DS and Switch versions of Fire Emblem Warriors will be distinct enough to justify owning both.

I adore Zelda, but I still don't care to own multiple copies of the same game without incentive. I don't have the Gamecube version of Twilight Princess, or the GBA version of the original Zelda.

I can see the argument of 'playing the game on it's original hardware' as an incentive to rebuy though - I bought the SNES Link to the Past even though I already had it on GBA for example. It's just not one I worry about too often.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

I have 2 on Gamecube and Dreamcast, but the N64 and PS1 versions are on my "to get" list.