Zelda Breath of the Wild - Wii U vs. Switch

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
isiolia
Next-Gen

Re: Zelda Breath of the Wild - Wii U vs. Switch

Post by isiolia »

marlowe221 wrote:But I was disappointed by the reveal information and launch lineup. And I was baffled by a lot of the decisions they made regarding this console/handheld/thing.

Japanese event, for one, and I'd say that the Switch concept plays more to the Japanese market as well. True home consoles are a shrinking market there. If you look at it roughly, PS1/PS2 had something like half/little less than half as many sold in Japan as in the U.S. PS3 it was a third. PS4 it's less than a quarter.
Meanwhile, where even the PSP had a slightly larger U.S. install base, Japan has the largest 3DS and Vita user bases.

Simply put, home consoles are not where the money is for Japan, and Nintendo is lining up to dominate that region.
marlowe221
Next-Gen

Post by marlowe221 »

isiolia wrote:
marlowe221 wrote:But I was disappointed by the reveal information and launch lineup. And I was baffled by a lot of the decisions they made regarding this console/handheld/thing.

Japanese event, for one, and I'd say that the Switch concept plays more to the Japanese market as well. True home consoles are a shrinking market there. If you look at it roughly, PS1/PS2 had something like half/little less than half as many sold in Japan as in the U.S. PS3 it was a third. PS4 it's less than a quarter.
Meanwhile, where even the PSP had a slightly larger U.S. install base, Japan has the largest 3DS and Vita user bases.

Simply put, home consoles are not where the money is for Japan, and Nintendo is lining up to dominate that region.

It is often frustrating to me how Nintendo likes to pretend that the rest of the world ISN'T a significant chunk of thier customer base. I am definitely familiar with Nintendo's hyper-focus on their domestic market.

But actually, I would have preferred a pure handheld.

Edit: I get that Nintendo is going to pretend it's a handheld in Japan and turn around and pretend it's a home console in the US/Europe - that's not the frustrating/disappointing part. The launch lineup and tech decisions were the frustrating/disappointing part.
Have: Sega Genesis, SNES, Atari 2600, Atari 7800, Atari 800XL, PC, N3DS XL, Wii U, GBA, Xbox One, Switch

Want: Games!!!
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I'm sure the reason it isn't a pure handheld is that the Wii U is a giant albatross around their neck, and the 3DS is still soldiering on.

I really do see it as basically a premium handheld. Kinda like the PSP being able to hook up to the TV, but implemented much better. I'm okay with that, because I can't even count the number of times I've wanted to hook my other handhelds up to the TV. :) I'm the type that wants to be able to play my handhelds on TV, my consoles on handhelds, just wherever I want to. :D
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

isiolia wrote:
Sarge wrote:It's not about $300 difference, it's about this being the next Nintendo console, with all the gaming that entails. Including Super Mario Odyssey. And hopefully a new Metroid and F-Zero, if Ninty can get their act together. ;)

True, but in the short term, it's mostly about Zelda - and keeping in mind that the next couple months have a good number of other anticipated titles. Nioh, For Honor, the Berserk musou, Halo Wars 2, Horizon Zero Dawn, Torment Tides of Numenera, Nier Automata, Mass Effect Andromeda, Ghost Recon Wildlands, and so on, and that's glossing over more niche games (you know Elkin will be buying Peach Beach Splash for instance) or other remakes/remasters, etc.
Just to say, there's a lot of other stuff to spend your gaming dollar on than a new system. It's not to pick on Nintendo specifically or anything either. I cancelled my PS4 preorder when the launch lineup solidified, because it just wasn't worth the money to me then either.

marlowe221 wrote:What resolution is Mario Kart 8? That's one of the visual standouts in my Wii U collection.

720p per the list over at Beyond3D.

This is basically where I'm at too. It looks like yet another insane year for the PS4, so... I'm just going to hang out with where most of the games I want for now are. I'll be tempted once Super Mario Odyssey drops if there's a package deal.
marlowe221
Next-Gen

Post by marlowe221 »

Sarge wrote:I'm sure the reason it isn't a pure handheld is that the Wii U is a giant albatross around their neck, and the 3DS is still soldiering on.

I really do see it as basically a premium handheld. Kinda like the PSP being able to hook up to the TV, but implemented much better. I'm okay with that, because I can't even count the number of times I've wanted to hook my other handhelds up to the TV. :) I'm the type that wants to be able to play my handhelds on TV, my consoles on handhelds, just wherever I want to. :D

I definitely get that - the portable/console-ness of it is one of the few things about the Switch that I am actually excited about.

But I kind of wish they would stop pretending that "it's a home console first" (I think Reggie said that?). Is anyone fooled by that? Their own advertising materials make it look like a device that is supposed to primarily be used in a portable configuration.

I guess there are two things that are kind of disappointing to me at this point -

1. The launch lineup is mostly ports and glorified tech demos. I know there is more to come and maybe I'll be more interested when it does, but for now, it's not really encouraging me to fork over the bucks at or near launch.

2. This thing feels very... over-designed to me. Apparently we are going to do motion controls again. Then there's HD rumble - are developers actually going to use that? And there are a LOT of batteries in this thing. Hell, I'm going to want to turn off the rumble in portable mode to extend the (short, apparently) battery life. Any bets on whether or not the system will let me do that?

The thing is, Nintendo has a history of including a lot of "features" in their hardware that are either never really used by developers, or used so little as to be kind of a waste. And that includes Nintendo as a dveloper itself! Meanwhile, we consumers still get the privilege of paying for those features.
Have: Sega Genesis, SNES, Atari 2600, Atari 7800, Atari 800XL, PC, N3DS XL, Wii U, GBA, Xbox One, Switch

Want: Games!!!
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

I don't imagine most people other than gullible sheep believe for any moment it's a console you can carry. Anyone who has ever looked at the form factor back from that original long tease video last year forward knows it's a tablet console that docks for TV out. They made it patently clear with the kickstand, the detaching controllers that not only work for one, but also as roughly a pair of SNES game pads with 1 analog tacked on (like DS/3DS!) Developers who comment bring up that it's a fricking portable design as well. Only chumps would believe otherwise. It's Shieldness, it's Vita-like wannabe categorization of design is what gets me on board. If it really was a console, they could eat a dick for a good 1-2 years before I'd jump on board as I don't trust Nintendo as a console maker anymore which is why I even had a PS4.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Tanooki wrote: If it really was a console, they could eat a dick for a good 1-2 years before I'd jump on board as I don't trust Nintendo as a console maker anymore which is why I even had a PS4.

But seriously, tell us how you REALLY feel. Don't hold back! ;)
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

No doubt. I have no respect for them as a console maker anymore. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me...I fell for the Wii name twice. No more, no more Nintendo consoles without proof they won't sink and only time would do that.

Handheld, which I classify the Switch as, I still have confidence in.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Tanooki wrote:Handheld, which I classify the Switch as, I still have confidence in.

You've got the right idea cowboy.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
jmbarnes101
Next-Gen

Post by jmbarnes101 »

I've got both preordered and plan on getting both even if I cancel my Switch preorder for now. Zelda on Wii U will likely be hard to find and the special edition for the Switch makes me want that.
My FS/FT/WTTF list:
http://racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=51197

Game Systems Owned:
NES, NES 2 (AV mod), SNES, SNES 2, N64 (Pikachu), N64 original (boxed), Gamecube (Orange, Silver, Purple), Wii, Wii U (Zelda), GB Pocket, GBA (2x-Arctic & Indigo), GBA SP (3x), DS Lite (Crimson/Black), 3DS (Aqua Blue), Sega Genesis and 32X, Game Gear, Lynx, PSP (2x), Vita, and Gold PS4.