Zelda Breath of the Wild - Wii U vs. Switch

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: Zelda Breath of the Wild - Wii U vs. Switch

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Awesome. That is definitely the best way to play it. When I started, I played s but by myself, but I would also play with my children. The would tell me where to go and what to check out, and they kept me from adhering too close to the game’s various goals. It was a lot of, “Hey, dad! Go check out that funny looking rock!” and “Jump off that cliff!” We found so much cool stuff that way.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

I told you to just pick a direction and start walking. When I first played it my goal every time was to get to one tower or a five shrines that night. Sometimes they went faster and I would do someone off stuff (like hunt for materials for gear upgrades or cooking).

Breath of the Wild still has flaws, but the game is like starting a tabletop RPG campaign. It truly gives you freedom of exploration and it has so much content that it is just a solid ride. Even after I beat the game I was randomly exploring some river and found a destroyed temple which lead my mind down the trail of "why was this temple here" and I spent a solid hour just walking around the area marveling at it. That has not happened in a game in a long time.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

It totally does have it's flaws. Yes. Weapons breaking still bugs me, but eh, I'm just spending less time in combat now. I just try to sneak around or avoid enemies when I can. Or I'll try to figure out a way to take them out with skills like the bombs or pieces of the environment. So that's not so bad. But yeah, the game itself really is way better when you just let the current take you away. It felt awesome when I discovered the Xenoblade helmet by accident. Later I saw that long dragon in the sky and followed him for a while trying to get the best screen shots that I could. Basically I'm just bouncing around trying to gradually open up the map and find some shrines. But I shut off the beeping shrine detector because the noise was bugging me. And really I just want to stumble upon them anyway.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Weapon breaking bothered me at the beginning, but after a while you have so many weapons it is not an issue. I used bombs, arrows, and stasis, to change the combat completely. The thing that I hated most was that enemies scale to a point where all combats are drawn out - stupid white bokoblins.

The world is somewhat desolate (obviously hindered by the dual production), but that is fitting for the story they gave.
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

Post by casterofdreams »

I don’t think the world was barren because of technical limitations to be honest. I think it’s just the environment that the game takes place. Same with Fallout, Skyrim, or Witcher 3. More things going on at towns and stuff. Not much in between.

GTA for example is open world where most of it is in a town/city/state/etc. So you’d see it more “alive” with the hustle and bustle.

I don’t know. Maybe I’m looking at it differently.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

intentional or not, the baron thing certainly fit - or maybe makes - the tone. There's a loneliness in the game that really makes it feel like you're exploring a land rather than just constantly coming across stuff to kill.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

The other thing about weapon breaking is that as you get further in the game the weapons last longer. This seems to be a combination of them dealing more damage per hit (thus less hits to kill) as well as having a higher durability.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
marurun

Post by marurun »

MrPopo wrote:The other thing about weapon breaking is that as you get further in the game the weapons last longer. This seems to be a combination of them dealing more damage per hit (thus less hits to kill) as well as having a higher durability.

Except against the silver/white enemies. But at least there's rarely more than a couple in a group. So you can take out the mobs easily, and then start whittling away your weapons against the tougher ones.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

Post by casterofdreams »

Fun fact: weapons don’t register as used when on the back of a Lynel.

Arrow to face.
Climb on back.
Smack away.
Rinse and repeat.

I’ve taken it a step further and smacked the thing with a powerful unused weapon and switched out when I got back on the ground.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Lynel I would only go covert on or avoid, never could figure out how to get close enough not to get killed as they're just nasty. Didn't see a reason to put up with it.