Zelda Breath of the Wild - Wii U vs. Switch

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Michi
Next-Gen

Re: Zelda Breath of the Wild - Wii U vs. Switch

Post by Michi »

I haven't made my way around to the west side of the map yet, but don't forget that you can make electric elixers that will help mitigate some of the damage. There's also a stable in the south I just visited where one of the NPCs will give you a Rubber Helm if you take an ax out of the top of the building. That might help a bit.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Does anyone have a scoop on what the second DLC is going to be and all? I'm already excited to replay this whenever I get a Switch and check that version out, maybe I'll replay it next summer.

Also been hearing a lot of Zelda talk on Retronauts lately and they gave me the greatest idea... with them thinking after Metroid 2 got the remake treatment, so should Zelda 2. Imagine Zelda 2 done in the Breath of the Wild format. It would be mindblowing. The scope of Zelda 2 is pretty large, I forget that Hyrule and the map from the first game is like in the corner of 2 somewhere haha. Most Zelda games only give you one town, but 2 had villages everywhere. The scope is massive. It has iconic themed areas on the map that would probably translate into cool 3D environments and islands. Seriously, like the entire game would be an incredible blueprint to remake in BoTW's style I'd say.
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

Xeogred wrote:Does anyone have a scoop on what the second DLC is going to be and all? I'm already excited to replay this whenever I get a Switch and check that version out, maybe I'll replay it next summer.

Still no firm date as far as I am aware. I think we can expect it before the end of the year.

In other news, I did the Xenoblade armor quest last night. I gotta say that I am a bit disappointed. Like most of the DLC armors, it mimics the effect of a previous armor set (Zora armor) without the ability to be upgraded.
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

Post by casterofdreams »

After some a couple of legitimate attempts and two cases where the Wii U locked up, wiping progress, I finally completed the Trials of the Sword.

The first two sections I did it without a hitch on the first go. It's the last third I had difficulty in. I won't spoil it too much but I had to truly master shield parry as if my life depended on it. The Wii U actually locked up twice and had to hard reset the console and start the last section over again.

One tip I discovered online that I had to employ for the last section was taking advantage of status effects. If you cook and eat a full heal with extra hearts, that carries over into the challenge. Same goes for defense and such. I went in with all hearts and had level 3 defense boost for 30:00. That got me through to the half way mark as I built up supplies and equipment.
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

Post by casterofdreams »

I wanted to share this with you all: you can pre-order the soundtrack to the game from amazon.jp

https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1

That's the limited edition. There's a standard edition as well.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

started playing this again over the weekend. I got a piece of Xenoblade 2 armor which was cool.
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

Post by casterofdreams »

I was thinking about jumping back in. Haven’t played it since last year. Need to finish the second DLC which IIRC I’m halfway done with.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Having taken time away, it actually feels even better than I remember. Which is really saying something.
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

Post by casterofdreams »

That’s is a very good thing. Now I definitely want to jump back in :lol:
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Played some more last night. Here's what I'm realizing about my two different experiences playing this game... Breath Of The Wild was the very first Switch game that I purchased along with the console. So I think at the time there was kind of an overwhelming thing going on. Y'know, new console, new Zelda, but also so many other new games I wanted to try as well. So as much as I loved BOTW then, I think I was very hung up on trying to stick rather closely to the main quests and always feeling like I was making progress. In truth, this goes against how I would really approach a game like this under more natural conditions. Like now. Now I'm playing BOTW so much more casually. I'll get to main quests when I get to them. I'm picking a direction and just going. Whatever catches my eye is what determines how I'll be spending my time now. And it's glorious like this. Some of my favorite hours with GTA5 and Skyrim were played exactly the same way.

It's also interesting because approaching the game so differently this time has really revealed how 'open' the game really is. Once out of the early plateau area (which I suppose is sort of a tutorial in disguise) it doesn't feel like I'm playing the opening hours of BOTW over again, because the order in which I'm doing everything is so different this time. I'm meeting NPC's that I never met in the 25 hours that I played last year. It's weird, and awesome. BOTW is like a 1,000 piece jigsaw puzzle with its pieces spread out on a table.