How hard is Super Metroid?

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
DeadPark
16-bit

How hard is Super Metroid?

Post by DeadPark »

Hi Everyone

I was looking for a good game to play, and i think i have settled on playing Super Metroid. I just have a quick question before i start it. How hard is it?

To clarify, the only other Metroid game I've played is the original NES game and i remember there being several very important hidden walls that you would never have guessed to destroy if you hadn't looked it up on an FAQ. So before i start Super Metroid, is it another game where I'm going to want an FAQ the whole way, or could i make it through without one?
Visit me at http://www.DeadPark.com. The Many Deaths of a Gamer.
Or follow me on Facebook or Twitter
Sarge
Next-Gen

Re: How hard is Super Metroid?

Post by Sarge »

I'd say it's a lot easier than Metroid. The map goes a long way towards making things more accessible. You'll die some, but it's really not terribly difficult if you're digging around for all the items.

It's definitely doable without an FAQ. I'd probably even recommend playing the first time without one.
DeadPark
16-bit

Post by DeadPark »

Sarge wrote:I'd say it's a lot easier than Metroid. The map goes a long way towards making things more accessible. You'll die some, but it's really not terribly difficult if you're digging around for all the items.

It's definitely doable without an FAQ. I'd probably even recommend playing the first time without one.

Thank you. That's what i was hoping to hear. I prefer to play through without any guides, but the original was just impossible to do that with.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

The main thing in Super Metroid is to remember that if you're stuck you should consider revisiting previous areas (as you've likely picked up something that lets you explore a previously blocked area). There are a bunch of places where you need to bomb hidden walls or shoot to activate invisible platforms but the environment tends to channel you into doing so. There's one instance of a non-obvious solution to how to move forward in an area; it gets shown during the demo reel (of which there are two if you leave it at the title screen for long enough). There's also two points where you can get stuck if you don't understand how to use the secret movement abilities those areas are trying to teach you. One of them is straightforward, but the other requires a lot of manual dexterity and timing. In both cases I don't believe you can save in those areas so you can always reload.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

DeadPark wrote:
Sarge wrote:I'd say it's a lot easier than Metroid. The map goes a long way towards making things more accessible. You'll die some, but it's really not terribly difficult if you're digging around for all the items.

Thank you. That's what i was hoping to hear. I prefer to play through without any guides, but the original was just impossible to do that with.

Ha ha, tell that to my younger self! Back when I had more time, my brother and I could play through without maps... and didn't even put them on paper for later reference. :lol:
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

It's not easy, but as Sarge mentioned, it's not as tough as the original, and it's a much better game IMO.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Ack

Post by Ack »

I'll throw in with the other guys. There are definitely much harder games on the Super Nintendo. You should be just fine.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

It's a Novice game for sure. Super easy.

The original is a bit archaic and tough in spots for sure and the lack of a map system makes it challenging for a first run or so. Super is definitely more methodical in its design, the monsters seem less frequent than they appear in the original, and none of the bosses are really that challenging with the exception of maybe one or two. It's more refined in that it feels more like an adventure/exploration game compared to the first, slower pacing, etc. I love that about it. I freaking love the original even to this day with Zero Mission around, and it's still sometimes challenging when I go back to it (really sucks if you die, since you have to grind to get your health/missiles back).

The real monster here is Blaster Master NES... once you hit stage 6 that game is out to destroy you. :lol:

But yeah, kind of funny Super Metroid and Castlevania Symphony of the Night are the two that really defined the genre, and both are really easy games.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Its all been said but if you found the old one hard this one is just as strong on base challenge, but as far as hard as feeling lost or screwed NO because of the awesome auto map that populates as you go along and it has map rooms I think as well that expands much of the area shaded in.

There was this most excellent of made Nintendo created Super Metroid guide back in the 90s if you ever need help get a PDF of that over any dumb game faqs as the maps alone are gold and wont ruin much of the challenge just the hiding spots.
DeadPark
16-bit

Post by DeadPark »

Thanks for all the comments everyone. now i'm really looking forward to playing it.

I was always looking forward to the difficulty of the game, so i'm glad to hear it won't dissapoint. but i was worried it would have more "bomb the 4th floor tile from the wall that looks exactly like every other floor tile to advance to the next area" like the first game had. It sounds like i won't have to worry about any of that BS, so i think i'm going to really enjoy it.