What's the best way to play Game Boy Advance games today?

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Re: What's the best way to play Game Boy Advance games today

Post by samsonlonghair »

retrosportsgamer wrote:I certainly see the validity in how cramped the SP 101 is, but its really very similar to how you'd hold your phone to play a mobile game (vertically obv). It's still my preferred GBA route (I also have one of the original GBAs) and I really like it for original GB games since you get the backlight.

Also love how it folds into being very compact. Easy to throw in the work bag. I don't know what they go for now, I got mine back in like '11 I think for $40 with a flawless screen despite some cosmetic issues on the outer shell.

Yeah, the SP101 is nice for any game that doesn't rely too heavily on the shoulder buttons. So, it's great for B&W and Color games, but certain GBA games like Drill Dozer require the player to utilize the shoulder buttons a lot.
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

Post by retrosportsgamer »

samsonlonghair wrote:
retrosportsgamer wrote:I certainly see the validity in how cramped the SP 101 is, but its really very similar to how you'd hold your phone to play a mobile game (vertically obv). It's still my preferred GBA route (I also have one of the original GBAs) and I really like it for original GB games since you get the backlight.

Also love how it folds into being very compact. Easy to throw in the work bag. I don't know what they go for now, I got mine back in like '11 I think for $40 with a flawless screen despite some cosmetic issues on the outer shell.

Yeah, the SP101 is nice for any game that doesn't rely too heavily on the shoulder buttons. So, it's great for B&W and Color games, but certain GBA games like Drill Dozer require the player to utilize the shoulder buttons a lot.

Man you are not kidding. I've been playing mine today - all shoulder buttons too and my right hand ring and pinky fingers are like numb.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

It's like a mobile sure, but a mobile you don't consistently smash the back of it with your pointer finger like a 10-100x a minute or just mash it down consistently (driving games.) It wears the hands out because they're not absorbing force plus the weight of the device.

I miss my modded 101 screen into the original. The slimy sorts on ebay are trying to bulk sell them around $170 and they seem to never bite until the jerk (same tool who sold me poor quality GBC lit goods I returned twice) drop the price in a so called 'sale' quite a bit (seems to be his bait and switch pattern.)

Problem is now your stock old GBA is a good $20+ for a nice one, and a 101 is very expensive so even if you buy things to cannibalize the fair rate $100 units seem more than reasonable.