Nintendo and Sony are expanding their mobile phone footprint

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Omerta
Next-Gen

Nintendo and Sony are expanding their mobile phone footprint

Post by Omerta »

Miyamoto just popped up on stage with Tim Cook during their umpteenth iPhone reveal.

Mario is going to be in a paid mobile phone game. It looks like something akin to a side-scrolling Temple Run. Apparently Pokemon GO is getting support for their Apple Watch, too.

The prophecy is coming true. Nintendo is branching out beyond super duper mega hardcore gaming machines like the Wii U to go even more casual than what's typical of them.

What say you, Racketeers? Good? Bad? Indifferent?

EDIT: Stumbled across this article.

https://toucharcade.com/2016/09/06/sony-wants-to-go-the-pokemon-go-way-plans-to-get-more-aggressively-into-mobile/

Pokemon GO made an impression on the Playstation division and they're looking to tap into the market with their IPs.
Last edited by Omerta on Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Farewell, good hunter.
May you find your worth
in the waking world."
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Nintendo is expanding their mobile phone footprint

Post by noiseredux »

Temple Run, shmemple run. Just give us an Android Mario Golf and call it a day.
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

Post by retrosportsgamer »

I like that it isn't free-to-play. I'll gladly buy the full game and could see myself coming back to it quite a bit at the office.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Considering the success of Pokemon GO, I fully expected Nintendo to start getting serious with mobile. This is no surprise. I'll wait and see what they start doing with the medium before I pass judgement.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Super Mario Run does not really interest me, but I love that they are doing mobile games.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

fastbilly1 wrote:Super Mario Run does not really interest me, but I love that they are doing mobile games.

this.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Exhuminator wrote:Considering the success of Pokemon GO, I fully expected Nintendo to start getting serious with mobile. This is no surprise. I'll wait and see what they start doing with the medium before I pass judgment.

FYI...One of the things they are doing is Fire Emblem; so, I may finally play through one of those games. :lol:

I am also curious to see how it enters this market. I suspect that it will be a combination of free-to-play and premium content, but I really don't know how it will price its games. It will be interesting to see if it takes the "normal" approach, the [urlhttps://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dragon-quest-viii/id862972069?mt=8]Square Enix approach[/url], or a combination of the two.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I don't care about cost honestly. Charge me whatever it would cost for a FE game on the 3DS eShop and I'd pay it if I wanted to play FE on mobile. Heck, I'd probably buy it JUST to encourage Nintendo to keep going in this trajectory.

Imagine a world where Ninty knew that their games would sell more on Steam than they do on Wii U :shock:
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

This is a way to build more brand awareness. Hook the kiddos with the simple stuff, have them clamoring for their parents to buy them more Nintendo stuff.