Nintendo and Sony are expanding their mobile phone footprint

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Re: Nintendo is expanding their mobile phone footprint

Post by Xeogred »

Half assed sounds great to me. I hope Nintendo continues to only put minuscule effort in mobile and keeps the quality on the real hardware.
darsparx
Next-Gen

Post by darsparx »

I'm still more for their games on 3ds and wii u. That mario looks like fun but I'm not for a day when things like 3ds and vita don't exist anymore. I prefer my physical games on dedicated hardware any day
My gameroom
My systems: NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, original gba, gba sp(001), ds lite, 3ds, vita, psp, PSone(101 model) ps2, ps3(320gb model), ps4, retron 5, and Dreamcast.

bogusmeatfactory wrote:Ever feel like a wild gazelle in the wilderness?
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

I'm in agreement with both the above. I meant halfassed in a positive way if it can be seen as such. I don't want them putting a FULL effort into android and ios at all. I'd like to see these half baked still high quality efforts that'll draw attention back to their own systems with the true full experiences. It would be a shame to pull talent into doing mobile drivel, but if they hire another team to handle the draw of peoples attention GOOD.

I'm still very much into Nintendo, as a handheld device company and do like the DS/3DS we have on the market still now as it gives a lot of choice from all sorts of game makers. WiiU is dead, that direct on the first put those nails in the coffin lid at this rate, once Zelda is out they'll be hammered into place.

If Mario Run is like some $5 pick up I'd probably likely snap it up but that's probably about it since it's just an auto-run game and there's heaps of those free of charge with a dumb pay wall to them a bit (or a virtual one as it drags out sooooo slow to progression.)
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Sarge wrote:Doesn't look too bad. Like a slower version of the cannon stages in the NSMB games.

Super Mario Run strongly reminded me of this older game:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... bile&hl=en
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Omerta
Next-Gen

Re: Nintendo and Sony are expanding their mobile phone footp

Post by Omerta »

Updated the OP to include Sony. PoGO has had an impact on their opinion of the mobile market.
"Farewell, good hunter.
May you find your worth
in the waking world."
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

it makes sense. What's easier: Convincing people they need to buy your device to play a game, or convincing people to play a game on the device they already own and carry around with them everywhere?
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Obviously the second one, but the second can lead to a few also doing the first which has to be a motivation here too. Even if just 1 in a 100 who buy Super Mario Run decide they want a 3DS for Mario on that, they win.
darsparx
Next-Gen

Post by darsparx »

Yeah but then you run into the issue that unless you have a device you can maintain to play some of the older releases a game bought on these app stores generally doesn't and won't run on a newer device at all. Especially since a lot of the software becomes abandon-ware and there's not much of a "compatibility" mode to make it run in any compacity on your newer device...
My gameroom
My systems: NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, original gba, gba sp(001), ds lite, 3ds, vita, psp, PSone(101 model) ps2, ps3(320gb model), ps4, retron 5, and Dreamcast.

Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

darsparx brings up an important point there. Even bigger companies like Square Enix have done a terrible job keeping their releases working on Android, for instance. I can't play the original Chaos Rings or Omega on my phone, for instance. And that's certainly not the only example, and it's kept me from buying quite a few games I might otherwise.
darsparx
Next-Gen

Post by darsparx »

Sarge wrote:darsparx brings up an important point there. Even bigger companies like Square Enix have done a terrible job keeping their releases working on Android, for instance. I can't play the original Chaos Rings or Omega on my phone, for instance. And that's certainly not the only example, and it's kept me from buying quite a few games I might otherwise.

Exactly. Capcom is another one. Look at Ghost Trick Phantom Detective. On DS it still works. On ios I've not been able to play it in years. I love people's enthusiasm for the mobile age and I used to have that same thing but I've been spoiled by systems that never needed a update and the games just worked. Only to try to go mobile even barely and burned by games that years later when I want to play again they crash or have been removed from the perspective app store...
My gameroom