Metroid 2 Remake AM2R Released!

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
marurun

Re: Metroid 2 Remake AM2R Released!

Post by marurun »

I haven't had a chance to start it just yet. I'm knee deep in Valdis Story and getting my ass handed to me. It's going to take a while to master that combat system enough to beat it and move on to AMR2.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Ghegs
64-bit

Post by Ghegs »

I finished it yesterday, at a bit under 6 hours and 84% (or thereabouts) item collection rate.

I have vague memories of beating the original game some 10-15 years ago so I can't exactly compare the two but overall this was a very pleasurable experience.

I did wonder about the spiderball though, I seem to remember it didn't become useless so fast in the original. Here you get the spacejump fairly soon afterwards, at which point spiderball only has very limited use in few specific places. But it's quite possible my memory is failing me on that.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

It was the same in the original; you got space jump rather quickly and it mostly invalidated the spider ball. I think the big difference is that you didn't have power grip, so there were some areas that required spider ball to access that you no longer need in AM2R.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
sevin0seven
Next-Gen

Post by sevin0seven »

FYI: V1.1 update is out.
Visit my stores: Mercari Store, sevin0seven RacketBoy Marketplace
Bay Area Cali: Meet-up Thread
Custom Art Covers & Labels: Click here
Game Room: Click here
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Kind of related...but, apparently, Metroid Prime Federation Force is pretty good? (At least, it is pretty good according to Kotaku and Nintendolife.). If that's the case, and since I am bound to my 3DS right now, may have to pick it up next week...
Last edited by prfsnl_gmr on Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

That game was so horribly panned for not being Metroid but abusing the name to sell it, yet the info loosely coming out now seems to put it at a superior level over Prime Hunters on DS. A lone wolf or team FPS game, minor exploration to get items to select them for replay or later stages to boost your suits capabilities. The only damning issue was some asinine design forcing someone to pivot their 3DS and up down to aim vertically which is really a rotten thing to do when a stylus or button could have done that. I'm curious how it will review out in the end if people can put the fanboy goggles down and take it as it is.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Kind of related...but, apparently, Metroidvania Prime Federation Force is pretty good?

It's been getting middling reviews:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/3ds/metr ... tion-force

The takeaway I got from reviews, is that multiplayer is alright, but single player is boring.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

As someone that actually enjoyed Hunters, I figure I'll pick this one up at some point, and will probably enjoy it. Not as much as a "true" Metroid, but enjoy nonetheless.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Exhuminator wrote:
prfsnl_gmr wrote:Kind of related...but, apparently, Metroidvania Prime Federation Force is pretty good?

It's been getting middling reviews:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/3ds/metr ... tion-force

The takeaway I got from reviews, is that multiplayer is alright, but single player is boring.

I take those as "pretty good" reviews, and given how much hate it received when it was announced, I am surprised to see some reviews in the 8/10 and 9/10 range. It certainly exceeded expectations, unlike a recent high profile release with a dedicated thread on this forum...

I also gathered the same thing from the reviews, and I may try to play through it soon so that I get the best experience.

Sarge wrote:As someone that actually enjoyed Hunters, I figure I'll pick this one up at some point, and will probably enjoy it. Not as much as a "true" Metroid, but enjoy nonetheless.

I will probably like it better than Metroid II (GB) or Metroid Fusion (GBA). That's not really a very high bar, however.
joehero
32-bit

Post by joehero »

Just finished it today, played it on my MAME cab. I thought it was amazing. Ive played and beat the original gameboy version a few years back, but this was great playing in full color.