Best portable NES in 2016??

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
BEERS AND VIDEOS
16-bit

Best portable NES in 2016??

Post by BEERS AND VIDEOS »

About 6 years back I picked up an FC Mobile II and found it to be the best non-emulator based portable NES, even though it was far from perfect. Now I'm seeking something better, more polished, with better screen/audio and with higher game compatibility, ideally with the ability to play from an everdrive n8. The Retro Duo is great but way bulky when you add the NES adapter. Just wondering if there are better, newer options - as I haven't found any in my searches. Any suggestions?
Anapan
Next-Gen

Re: Best portable NES in 2016??

Post by Anapan »

The only ones I've seen that are better than the duo portable are custom handheld mods based on the nes toploader board. In particular the HandyNES portable is beautiful.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
PUSH RUN BUTTON!

Post by PUSH RUN BUTTON! »

Yeah, those HandyNES systems look amazing. Unfortunately, from the looks of her Facebook page, LovableChevy isn't so hot on making these at this point. I've been hoping to find one on eBay, but no luck.
Last edited by PUSH RUN BUTTON! on Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

If you don't mind emulation, I find a DS Lite with this emulator works amazingly well:

http://filetrip.net/nds-downloads/emula ... 32901.html
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
BEERS AND VIDEOS
16-bit

The custom made HandyNES type systems are incredible and ideally would be what I would like to pick up, but I haven't found anyone legit who could tackle a project like this. I would be all for commissioning a project like this if anyone knows someone.

LovableChevy and even the Ben Heck forums seem like they both aren't so active anymore.

I have not problem with emulation, except that I want to be able to run the games on both the NES and a portable because of battery saved data, etc.

Thanks for the ideas so far. Keep 'em coming if you have any thoughts!
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

BEERS AND VIDEOS wrote:I have not problem with emulation, except that I want to be able to run the games on both the NES and a portable because of battery saved data, etc.

Oh, I see. So you're saying you want to be able to play a real NES cart at home in a NES, but then continue to play that selfsame NES cart portably.

The best thing I know of is the RetroDuo Portable, but you said it was too bulky, so I'm out of ideas. Your search is a noble cause though.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
jmbarnes101
Next-Gen

Post by jmbarnes101 »

BEERS AND VIDEOS wrote:The custom made HandyNES type systems are incredible and ideally would be what I would like to pick up, but I haven't found anyone legit who could tackle a project like this. I would be all for commissioning a project like this if anyone knows someone.

LovableChevy and even the Ben Heck forums seem like they both aren't so active anymore.

I have not problem with emulation, except that I want to be able to run the games on both the NES and a portable because of battery saved data, etc.

Thanks for the ideas so far. Keep 'em coming if you have any thoughts!

Have you tried talking to bacteria? He's not cheap but he does great work and does commissions. This would likely be something he could do. His thread is here... viewtopic.php?f=25&t=50421&view=unread#unread
My FS/FT/WTTF list:
http://racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=51197

Game Systems Owned:
NES, NES 2 (AV mod), SNES, SNES 2, N64 (Pikachu), N64 original (boxed), Gamecube (Orange, Silver, Purple), Wii, Wii U (Zelda), GB Pocket, GBA (2x-Arctic & Indigo), GBA SP (3x), DS Lite (Crimson/Black), 3DS (Aqua Blue), Sega Genesis and 32X, Game Gear, Lynx, PSP (2x), Vita, and Gold PS4.
BEERS AND VIDEOS
16-bit

jmbarnes101 wrote:Have you tried talking to bacteria? He's not cheap but he does great work and does commissions. This would likely be something he could do. His thread is here... viewtopic.php?f=25&t=50421&view=unread#unread

Hey thanks! I'll hit him up. I don't mind paying for something that is well put together and solid that will last years and years. Not sure if I have the kind of budget of that N64 - but this is something I've been trying to get for years now...