NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Rydon
24-bit

Wii U Exclusive Games List

by Rydon Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:56 pm

With the NX announcement approaching sometime (maybe?) soon I have been looking to get a Wii U. I am figuring that a good time to buy for the Wii U will be soon as the NX gets announced and prices (hopefully) drop for the system and games. So I started to look at Wii U exclusive titles that were released on disc. I have not looked at other games for the Wii U outside this area, but the games I found that interest me are as follows:

Bayonetta 2
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water
Fit Music for Wii U
Game & Wario
Hyrule Warriors
Kirby and the Rainbow Curse
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD
Lego City Undercover
Mario Kart 8
Mario Party 10
Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash
New Super Luigi U
Paper Mario: Color Splash
Pikmin 3
Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric
Splatoon
Star Fox Guard
Star Fox Zero
Super Mario 3D World
Super Mario Maker
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE
Wii Fit U
Wii Party U
Wii Sports Club
The Wonderful 101
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Yoshi's Woolly World

Are there any others that I should consider looking at the get a "definitive" Wii U collection? I have never played on the console, so I am not sure what the tablet controller offers in terms of game play to the non-exclusive games, that might get some added use with the different controls. I am assuming it is similar to the 3ds and DS with quick button options and maybe some added mini games. I appreciate any input I can get on this.

Thanks

UPDATE later in the thread: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=50459&p=1103970#p1103970
Last edited by Rydon on Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: Wii U Exclusive Games List

by prfsnl_gmr Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:30 pm

The Wii U versions of Darksiders 2 and Deus Ex Human Revolution are the definitive versions.
Cronozilla
Next-Gen

by Cronozilla Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:46 pm

Rayman Legends and ZombiU were both designed around the GamePad and don't work better without it on other systems.

New Super Mario Bros. U appears to be missing.
There's also Rodea the Sky Soldier, the version on Wii is a different game (and comes with it)
Nintendo Land shouldn't be ignored.

Some of the eShop exclusives are also very good: Pushmo World, Fast Racing Neo, Runbow.

If you are expecting the retail Nintendo game prices to drop once the NX comes out ... you might be in for massive disappointment. That hasn't actually happened with major Nintendo published titles since the SNES.

Retailers have a habit now of keeping them relatively full price straight through not re-ordering.
ninjainspandex
Next-Gen

by ninjainspandex Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:01 pm

Isn't Hyrule Warriors on 3DS? or is that a different game made specifically for the 3DS?
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:20 pm

prfsnl_gmr wrote:The Wii U versions of Darksiders 2 and Deus Ex Human Revolution are the definitive versions.

*cough* PC *cough*

I must say, that's a bit of disappointing list when it is all laid out like that. Only about 30 exclusives, and at least a few of them that are remasters or otherwise very similar to releases on other Nintendo systems. According to Wikipedia, there are only about 50 Wii U exclusives (including digital-only stuff). By contrast the Gamecube has 90+ exclusives, the N64 had 140+ or so, etc. The Wii had 300+ :lol:

Beyond that, I'd only rank about half of that list (~15 games or so) as games truly worth playing. A sad showing for a console that's been out for almost four years...
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

by BogusMeatFactory Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:40 pm

dsheinem wrote:
prfsnl_gmr wrote:The Wii U versions of Darksiders 2 and Deus Ex Human Revolution are the definitive versions.

*cough* PC *cough*

I must say, that's a bit of disappointing list when it is all laid out like that. Only about 30 exclusives, and at least a few of them that are remasters or otherwise very similar to releases on other Nintendo systems. According to Wikipedia, there are only about 50 Wii U exclusives (including digital-only stuff). By contrast the Gamecube has 90+ exclusives, the N64 had 140+ or so, etc. The Wii had 300+ :lol:

Beyond that, I'd only rank about half of that list (~15 games or so) as games truly worth playing. A sad showing for a console that's been out for almost four years...

Not a complete list.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
sevin0seven
Next-Gen

by sevin0seven Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:20 pm

Quality over quantity.
Visit my stores: Mercari Store, sevin0seven RacketBoy Marketplace
Bay Area Cali: Meet-up Thread
Custom Art Covers & Labels: Click here
Game Room: Click here
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:54 pm

BogusMeatFactory wrote:Not a complete list.

The OP is a pretty close to full list of retail releases, and even adding in digital stuff there's not a ton of Wii U exclusives over the course of four years...

sevin0seven wrote:Quality over quantity.

I don't know. I can think of better games on other Nintendo platforms for each of their flagship series that also appeared on the Wii U (Mario's best 3D outings are the Galaxy Games, his best 2D outings are still in 8 and 16 bit eras, Kirby's Epic Yarn is far more interesting than Rainbow Curse, Starfox on Wii U is laughably bad, etc.). That's not to say that the mainline Nintendo games on the Wii U aren't worth playing (Super Mario Maker is probably the best "new game in an existing franchise" entry on the system)...but if we are judging the system in terms of "quality" compared to its competition or its predecessors? The Wii U is arguably the weakest Nintendo console from the perspective of overall game design and from the perspective of making memorable new games in an existing series' franchise.

I say all this as someone who has had fun with a Wii U, but really wish it was something I could have enjoyed anywhere near as much as the PS3/4, Xbox 360/1, or PC over the past few years. I don't mean to poop on the Wii U party entirely, and I have, in fact, been playing a lot more on it of late (I just played through Splatoon and NES Remix in the last week, started playing Captain Toad finally, picked up The Wonderful 101 the other day, etc.). But I think it is pretty hard to recommend the system to anyone until it hits bargain bin prices akin to what the Wii is currently sitting at.

Rydon, when you can pick up the system and its top five games for $100 or so, maybe then it would be worth your time and money.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:26 pm

Going to side with ds there on the quality over quantity, that was a value argument in the N64 era far more so, Gamecube too, but now it's a cop out to dust over a real problem. The stuff from Nintendo it has to stand on, really for like 1/2 or better than that maybe better said 2/3 of it they did themselves was bested both on GC and Wii which is unfortunate but true. The designs do nothing to promote the system nor really make a good lasting impression, and lasting memorable play is something WiiU really needs from them considering the situation 4 years in and it doesn't.

If someone told me I had to pick a Wii or WiiU as my only console for life going forward, I'd laugh and pick the Wii. At least that one had some damn fine first party titles like the Galaxy games, even Battallion Wars was solid, DK was a bitch but at least decent and I think nicer than the WiiU one. Skyward Sword at least is a real Zelda game, and the WiiU one no...rehash and then something being bested in a port to the NX. WiiU wins with the SM World homage with NSMBU but that's really about it. Third parties, a few, at least made some damn solid attempts on the Wii even the crazy decent Call of Duty titles, and then the somewhat unique releases, point and click stuff, that cool Indiana Jones game which had the Fate of Atlantis on it as a co-release. List goes on there. It was disappointing but had enough good moments, the WiiU is mostly just disappointing and forgettable. The only title I honestly miss owning that was not on another box is New Super Mario Bros U, the rest were HD upgrades or ports, or the prequels were far better on the GC and Wii.

I will second the list of extras so far not on the main post including Rodea if anything for the Wii release after all I've watched. Had I kept my WiiU I'd have bought the game just for that reason alone as it's the real by far best release.

Rayman I had, that one you must play on that tablet or you get screwed out of the intended pure design of the game, I know, because I went from that to another.
ejamer
128-bit

by ejamer Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:32 pm

dsheinem wrote:...
Rydon, when you can pick up the system and its top five games for $100 or so, maybe then it would be worth your time and money.

Is this a troll comment, or sarcasm that I've missed? Because I can't see this pricing possibly being real based on current pricing for games (new or old, new or used).

Wii U is a "good, not great" console. It doesn't have very many games and the number of compelling exclusives is pretty low. But like almost all Nintendo consoles, it still ended up with a handful of truly great first-party games... for some people those experiences will justify the cost, for others it won't. I'm in the first group and ok with that.

But suggesting to wait until everything drops to absolutely bargain basement pricing sounds like a losing strategy to me. With smaller print runs and much fewer people buying the games, this isn't going to be a Wii situation where everyone and their grandmother have a console with games to sell down the road.

But hey, maybe I'm wrong. Wouldn't be the first time.

To the OP: Monster Hunter is a pretty awesome game, and (AFAIK) the latest in the series to grace a big screen. That said, the time to play with buddies online is rapidly closing and despite a decent single-player campaign it's a much better game that way...
Return to Nintendo