Stop sanding the gamecube discs!!!!!

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
arcadifvid
32-bit

Re: Stop sanding the gamecube discs!!!!!

Post by arcadifvid »

samsonlonghair wrote:C'mon Soldier, don't you know that "untested" is ebay-speak for "broken"? That rule doesn't just apply to GCN games; anything listed as "untested" on the 'bay is most certainly broken as a three-legged chair.

always thought "as-is" is the ebay-speak for "broken". :lol: :lol:
i mean really reading as-is feels like the seller telling the buyer "oh im 100% sure thats already broken, i actually tested it already. im just trying to find some sucker i can make money off"
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

arcadifvid wrote:
samsonlonghair wrote:C'mon Soldier, don't you know that "untested" is ebay-speak for "broken"? That rule doesn't just apply to GCN games; anything listed as "untested" on the 'bay is most certainly broken as a three-legged chair.

i mean really reading as-is feels like the seller telling the buyer "oh im 100% sure thats already broken, i actually tested it already. im just trying to find some sucker i can make money off"

Truth.
KalessinDB
Next-Gen

Post by KalessinDB »

arcadifvid wrote:

Always entertains me when I'm somewhere like KLOV, an arcade collector's board, and they're selling standard JAMMA boards as "Untested"

Yeah. Cuz I'm sure you don't have any way to test a JAMMA board.
Gunning for a licensed NES NTSC-U set, follow the madness and poverty here!
Cheat sheet of my collection, always looking to increase it. 405/677 licensed games, 46/"95" unlicensed
Chronically out of date BST thread
Spidrmnky
8-bit

Post by Spidrmnky »

Fragems wrote:I have a resurfacing unit that I use for personal stuff and with the proper attachments it's never given me issues even when I've had to use the sanding pads. Heck that was one of my main reasons for buying it was the massive amount of really scratched up $1 gamecube games that I kept finding a few years back.

Only real issues I've had is if you aren't careful it's really easy to split the center of the mini disc where the nut holds it to the resurfacing unit so I usually buff before bothering with sanding since that applies a lot more pressure. I only sand as a last resort.

Now if you aren't using a micro disc plate on your machine or using toothpaste or some other abrasive to sand it down by hand I could see it making uneven wear but not from a medium to high end resurface machine.

Rule to the wise though never buy "UNTESTED" disc based games online it's almost always a crap shoot. Untested 90% of the time either means A.) Extremely Bad Scratches or B.) Someone has already resurfaced them down to the data layer and needs to offload them.

I own a JFJ resurfacing machine as well. Before purchasing the GC adapters I called JFJ and asked about it. They told me even with the proper attachments GC discs fail, beyond repair, at a much higher rate than a PS2/Xbox/DVD disc. Obviously they can be fixed but even with the proper equipment they still fail more frequently.

I never use my JFJ unless the disc is already beyond using. That way I have nothing to lose anyway.

Gamecube discs in good condition are definitely going to bring a premium.
Kidpanda
64-bit

Post by Kidpanda »

KalessinDB wrote:
arcadifvid wrote:

Always entertains me when I'm somewhere like KLOV, an arcade collector's board, and they're selling standard JAMMA boards as "Untested"

That's codeword for broken. Or there are issues. Most of those guys over there are crooked assholes. I've been burnt many times. I refuse to go on there now. Either it's "untested" or overpriced. F those forums.
KalessinDB
Next-Gen

Post by KalessinDB »

Kidpanda wrote:
KalessinDB wrote:
arcadifvid wrote:always thought "as-is" is the ebay-speak for "broken". :lol: :lol:

That's codeword for broken. Or there are issues. Most of those guys over there are crooked assholes. I've been burnt many times. I refuse to go on there now. Either it's "untested" or overpriced. F those forums.

Well yes, untested is clearly code for broken. I've actually had a few great deals on Neo games over there though. Best was I just scored MS5 legit for 90 bucks.
Gunning for a licensed NES NTSC-U set, follow the madness and poverty here!
Cheat sheet of my collection, always looking to increase it. 405/677 licensed games, 46/"95" unlicensed
Chronically out of date BST thread