NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Sarge
Next-Gen

Re: NX Predictions Thread

by Sarge Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:57 pm

I'm sure I was more aware because I religiously read almost all the major gaming magazines. For a while I was getting like five or six gaming magazines a month because I scored some free subscriptions.
Reprise
Next-Gen

by Reprise Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:07 am

Sarge wrote:I'm sure I was more aware because I religiously read almost all the major gaming magazines. For a while I was getting like five or six gaming magazines a month because I scored some free subscriptions.

Haha snap.

Plus, my mates and I in school were huge gaming nerds, so if one or some of us didn't know something, someone in our clique would soon tell us.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation One, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo Switch, OUYA.

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
Twitter: https://twitter.com/366GamesToPlay
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:50 pm

Man, I had tons of Nintendo Powers, Game Informer, Gamepro, EGM, and some others... but N-Gage isn't ringing a bell. :lol:
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Mon May 02, 2016 12:11 pm

I had two friends who had them in college. Both were European and both had it for FIFA Football 2004. Later one got into Pocket Kingdoms.

I got to borrow one from someone several years later and played through my copies of Shadowkey and Tony Hawk, but have not played one since. Pocket Kingdoms was something that I never got a chance to play in its prime, but when I played it a few years ago it was still "active," well as active as Archmage was back in 1998.

Sadly there is not an ngage emulator that I know of. I mean you could probably jerry rig one in a symbian 6 emulator.

Then again I own a GP32 and a Tapwave Zodiac, so obscure handhelds are not foreign to me.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Mon May 02, 2016 1:16 pm

Oh, man, the GP32 and Zodiac. I looked into those for a long time, just couldn't bring myself to spend the money.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Mon May 02, 2016 1:34 pm

In 2002, the GP32 was awesome. Bloody Cross demo, Dungeon & Guarder, Her Knights, Tomak, and ofcourse Astonishia Story R. To me the stick on it was superior to the NGPC. But sadly most of them were sold for NES and Genesis emulation. I mean I beat FF3 on it, but it was easily as powerful as the GBA and had very SNK like fighting games.

Zodiac was simply the best PDA ever made. Metal construction, 128megs internal (a pox on those who bought the 32 meg version) and TWO SD slots. I used mine daily for everything pretty much until I got a smart phone. It also had the power to be a portable SNES, heck at the end of its life it got PSX games on it. Sadly batteries on it do not last very long. But Spyhunter on the Zod was a site to behold in 2004. Heck the pack in tech demo Stunt Car Extreme was pretty awesome. In 06 I took a job at a CompUSA and they had four zod 128s in the discount area. The DM finally caved and sold them to me way under budget since he needed the space. It was the best Christmas in a long time for my family.

I sold my GP32 games years ago, kept the console. I still have four or five Zod games. I should probably sell the lot of them, they have not been on in a while. I have them complete in box.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

by samsonlonghair Tue May 03, 2016 8:58 am

Reprise wrote:Really? Weren't they marketed heavily in America? Here in the UK, there was quite a bit of hype initially (although it died down very quickly). I remember my mates and I being reasonably hyped for it, testing it in games shops before it came out. It seemed like a reasonably big deal at the time, especially as it seemed to match PS1 graphics in a time when the GBA was still big, but then of course the DS and PSP came out and destroyed it. The NGage having some terrible design decisions and being a pretty lousy phone kinda killed it.

Basically the same story on this side of the Atlantic. The N-Gage was promoted in Cell Phone stores and GameStops. The initial hype died down as soon as the reviewers tore into it. The poor N-Gage was already a joke by the day it was released. I still remember a Penny Arcade comic about that subject...

fastbilly1 wrote:In 2002, the GP32 was awesome. Bloody Cross demo, Dungeon & Guarder, Her Knights, Tomak, and ofcourse Astonishia Story R. To me the stick on it was superior to the NGPC. But sadly most of them were sold for NES and Genesis emulation.

Dude, I used to drool over the GP32 for that exact reason. This was back before android, so the idea of a handheld that plays emulators for all my favorite retro-games was very exciting to me.

Nowadawys, emulators can run on anything; I'm pretty sure my microwave can be hacked to play pirated NES games.
Fragems
Next-Gen

by Fragems Tue May 03, 2016 9:11 am

Even better I prophesize that the NX is actually a collaboration between Nintendo and Sega to bring back one of the the greatest systems ever to grace the world with it's presence...

jking but honestly if Sega were to revive the Pico as a child's tablet they could probably make a pretty solid profit on it.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Tue May 03, 2016 9:19 am

I get that, and joking aside I think you're right. The actual PICO as it stands it would work great as an entry level educational device even today as they do sell stuff kind of like that now but it's tough against stupid touch phone apps. A modernized one that would be an android backed tablet like those well selling Nabi tabs probably would work.
Anayo
Next-Gen

by Anayo Wed May 18, 2016 7:00 pm

I bought the 32 GB Wii U + Splatoon + Smash Bros bundle in November 2015. Now I feel as though I just bought a Sega Saturn in early 1997.
Return to Nintendo