NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
marurun

Re: Switch Discussion Thread

by marurun Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:55 am

opa wrote:If they're going to take away the actual "switching," I would've preferred a traditional console sans handheld functionality.

I definitely don't see Nintendo going that direction, and while there's definitely a portion of the Nintendo audience that wants that, I think the portable-only crowd is significantly larger. Doing a console-only version would invite even more direct comparisons to MS and Sony, and Nintendo tends not to come away from those comparisons looking good, except for the ability to take those games on the go.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
opa
24-bit

by opa Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:10 am

Oh it definitely makes more sense to do a portable-only line; especially with pokemon on the horizon. A cheaper unit + pokemon a few months before the holidays = $$$

I never carry a portable system with me so unfortunately there's little value in the new iteration. I'll probably be keeping an eye out for a sale on the normal system.
isiolia
Next-Gen

by isiolia Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:52 am

marurun wrote:I think if Nintendo does a new standard Switch release, it will be a simple hardware revision, maybe a slightly nicer screen, thinner or lighter, with the more power-efficient CPU they are using in the Switch Lite.

If they switched to the Jetson Nano (or similar) then the new SoC may not be suited for docked mode.

marurun wrote:Doing a console-only version would invite even more direct comparisons to MS and Sony, and Nintendo tends not to come away from those comparisons looking good, except for the ability to take those games on the go.

I think this would depend on the approach. Strip out the parts of the Switch that make it portable, and it'd likely be what, a $100-150 MSRP device? I know the Shield TV is often a bit more, but Nintendo would likely offset it with high margin controllers and probably a lot more software sales. It'd be very competitive if priced and/or bundled right. Maybe at some point would it just make sense for future "mini" consoles to be a Switch cart that could also be bundled with a special edition Switch Core (or whatever).
marurun

by marurun Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:53 am

I think that's the way to go. I suspect that the release of the Switch Lite will put at least a few additional used units out into the marketplace. It's not like used Switch's are hard to come by now, but maybe the prices will come down a little.
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

by Forlorn Drifter Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:12 pm

PartridgeSenpai wrote:
Forlorn Drifter wrote:Sounds now like there won't be a "Pro" Switch. I'm a bit disappointed, but at least now I can buy one without worrying about what's coming.

I mean I think there WILL be a "pro" Switch, just not for a good few years. I think if you're holding out for a Pro Switch, you're gonna be holding out for quite a long time.

Sorry, I should be more clear. The WSJ articles pointed to a "Pro" Switch coming out around the same time as the Lite, but apparently (from data mining and info from an FCC (?) filing), the normal switch is getting a stealth update with an improved SOC and more ram for dev kits. The changes aren't big enough to advertise, and seem like they will mostly improve battery life.

It's kind of hard to keep up as new info comes out, but that is how it's reading as of current. I was expecting a 3DS to N3DS change, but that doesn't appear to be what we are getting.
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP
marurun

by marurun Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:54 pm

I suppose, theoretically, if the standard Switch starts using the new SOC that's in the Switch Lite, as long as they provide adequate cooling, it could boost clock rates a little and shoot for slightly improved performance when docked. But that would be very dependent upon cooling support. That way they could have longer battery life when portable and improved performance docked.
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

by Forlorn Drifter Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:54 pm

marurun wrote:I suppose, theoretically, if the standard Switch starts using the new SOC that's in the Switch Lite, as long as they provide adequate cooling, it could boost clock rates a little and shoot for slightly improved performance when docked. But that would be very dependent upon cooling support. That way they could have longer battery life when portable and improved performance docked.

Apparently the Switch uses profiles to decide how fast to clock everything, and uses a higher clock to increase loading speeds after one of the updates for Odyssey and BOTW, so I would assume that some games in the future may choose to use the higher clocks under certain conditions. Really can't say though.
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP
marurun

by marurun Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:11 pm

That profiling is only really in portable mode. Meaning the Switch temporarily ramps up the internal speeds during loading screens in BotW and Mario Odyssey to speed up loading transitions. It's a short enough change that it doesn't really impact battery life much or overheat the device, but does have an impact on those loading screens. I don't think that really comes into play when the system is docked. I'd be happy to be wrong, though.
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:12 pm

Is this new Fire Emblem going to be legit?
Reprise
Next-Gen

by Reprise Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:49 am

I got Dragon Quest Builders 2 this week. Just to warn anyone interested in the Switch version, unfortunately at the moment the framerate is pretty horrendous. It's 30fps, but it regularly dips well below that and isn't very stable. It's my first DQ Builders game and I'm enjoying it so far (although the opening tutorial like segment drags a bit), but it's a shame the second game doesn't perform as well as the first game did on Switch (which I believe was even 60fps?).
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation One, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo Switch, OUYA.

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
Twitter: https://twitter.com/366GamesToPlay
Return to Nintendo