Switch Discussion Thread

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
opa
128-bit

Re: Switch Discussion Thread

Post by opa »

Well it's been confirmed that Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town is being localized by Xseed/marvelous.

It looks all right but I'm not sure how excited I can get for a remake of a remake of a re-imagining of an N64 game.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

Switch Lite officially announced. Definitely a "lite" version as it's handheld only with a smaller feature set...but a price to match.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

isiolia wrote:Switch Lite officially announced. Definitely a "lite" version as it's handheld only with a smaller feature set...but a price to match.

yeah it's cool. And I get it. I don't really bring my Switch out of the house. I use it as a portable in my living room or out in the backyard, but if I'm going to be in a waiting room or something I'll tend to bring 3DS which is much smaller. Also, dig that they went with a true d-pad for the Lite. The colors are nice as well. Anyway, I could see picking up one of these down the road on sale for my wife or something.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

I kind of wanted a smaller, cheaper Switch, but I wanted it to still be able to, y'know, Switch and do all the other things a Switch can do (without having to buy extra controllers). Sadly I don't think this will be the magic bullet that gets me to buy a Switch.
marurun

Post by marurun »

This might increase the number of full Switch's in the used market, so you might be able to score an affordable standard unit.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

Switch Lite feels like exactly the product Nintendo was always going to make: the best handheld console on the market. This is the true successor to the 3DS. I never really bought into the notion that the Switch was both a home console and a handheld. It seemed more like a really nice handheld that could be used as a home console, but the home console was more of an afterthought. I get the impression that Nintendo R&D added the pseudo-home console dock later in the design stage because the WiiU was a sinking ship. Nintendo corporate needed a WiiU successor more than it needed a 3DS successor. That's purely my own speculation. Feel free to disagree.

As for the Switch lite itself:
Pros: I'm pleased they brought back a real D-pad. A nintendo console or handheld without a D-pad is borderline blasphemy. I absolutely love the Turquoise color. The Price point is more reasonable at only $200. Battery Life is improved, but it's still not an all-day battery.
The original Nintendo Switch's battery life is listed as 2.5 to 6.5 hours, but the Nintendo Switch Lite will give you 3 to 7 hours

Cons: No rumble. That kinda stinks, but I can live without it for a handheld. No motion control. I think most of us felt weary of motion control years ago, so that's not such a big loss. No big-screen support. You can't attach any aftermarket joycons, but then again, with a real D-pad I feel much less concern for aftermarket joycons.
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

Post by Forlorn Drifter »

Sounds now like there won't be a "Pro" Switch. I'm a bit disappointed, but at least now I can buy one without worrying about what's coming.
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

Forlorn Drifter wrote:Sounds now like there won't be a "Pro" Switch. I'm a bit disappointed, but at least now I can buy one without worrying about what's coming.

I mean I think there WILL be a "pro" Switch, just not for a good few years. I think if you're holding out for a Pro Switch, you're gonna be holding out for quite a long time.

I think the Lite is cool though! I really like the design, and I'd be pretty tempted if I didn't already have the base model Switch. If I wanna spend money on a Nintendo console I already have just because it looks cool, there are plenty of things ranging from 2DSs to Gamecubes of all varieties of special colors and tie-ins in the resale places around here I can already have my pick from :lol:
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
marurun

Post by marurun »

I think if Nintendo does a new standard Switch release, it will be a simple hardware revision, maybe a slightly nicer screen, thinner or lighter, with the more power-efficient CPU they are using in the Switch Lite. A Switch Pro probably wouldn't happen until there's a new crop of consoles to compete with, and it would also depend on Nvidia being able to provide an affordable CPU/GPU upgrade path. The Tegra X2 still ain't cheap.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

If they're going to take away the actual "switching," I would've preferred a traditional console sans handheld functionality.