NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Re: Switch Discussion Thread

by BogusMeatFactory Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:36 am

Animal Crossing animal crossing animal crossing animal crossing animal crossing animal crossing animal crossing animal crossing.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Reprise
Next-Gen

by Reprise Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:14 pm

BogusMeatFactory wrote:Animal Crossing animal crossing animal crossing animal crossing animal crossing animal crossing animal crossing animal crossing.

But why?
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation One, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo Switch, OUYA.

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo ID: Mark-Beth
Twitter: https://twitter.com/366GamesToPlay
Michi
Next-Gen

by Michi Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:22 pm

Reprise wrote:
BogusMeatFactory wrote:Animal Crossing animal crossing animal crossing animal crossing animal crossing animal crossing animal crossing animal crossing.

But why?

But why not?
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:31 pm

Damm64 wrote:I'll take a simple polished port of metroid prime trilogy any day. The wii version is nice but motion controls never click with me. I dont mind a port of that metroid 2 remake of the 3ds on the switch too.

I think the smart choice would be BOTH, have the motion control since the originals in various situations were utter crap, but for those who want purist play have it, yet for those who can not do docked play perhaps let that 2nd stick be your aiming. It's those later battles in either title when the space pirates and their type are fast, bounce all over, strafe and fly (or both) and you have to stand there like a moron, hold the Z(was it that one?) button to then LOOK around, then hit a 2nd button to LOCK the camera so you can fire and move on an equal playing field. That was bullshit 15 years ago and still is now. Up until that point though the game mechanics worked great. Despite it all I still prefer the original Prime and never played 2 nor finished like the last 1/3 of the other either as I got tired of all the motion gimmicks.

Oh and I agree too, added bonus, put that New3DS game or even the DS one too and its Pinball partner on one compilation of 'PRIME' that would be fantastic. I don't see any chance of the Metroid 2 remaster but the other two would be awesome.
Reprise
Next-Gen

by Reprise Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:38 pm

Michi wrote:
Reprise wrote:

But why?

But why not?

I have never for the life of me ever understood the appeal. It blew my mind how big the series is once I realised. I just don't get it, how many games does the series need? What new ideas do each entry bring to the table? Is it not a bit like looking forward to a new Slayer album?
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation One, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo Switch, OUYA.

marurun

by marurun Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:50 pm

Animal Crossing is, for a certain type of people, a kind of zen experience, and an addiction. It's not that the series NEEDS another entry so much as it is there are people with Switches who want one on the Switch.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:51 pm

I think the games are different enough. Not that I've played them all. The Gamecube one was the one that hooked me back in the day. It certainly felt novel at the time. I'd want to check my village on holidays to see what was up. And unlocking NES games was so cool. The Wii one had the ability to play online while chatting with friends which was a cool feature for sure. And the 3DS one let you play as the mayor which was unique.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:53 pm

I think it plays in the same brain space as Harvest Moon.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Reprise
Next-Gen

by Reprise Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:12 pm

I was a bit obsessed with Harvest Moon, so I always fully expected to like Animal Crossing, but I just couldn't get into it. I've only played the Gamecube one and it just didn't click.

But it's fine, we all have series or games that other people like, but we just don't get.

BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

by BogusMeatFactory Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:55 pm

There are a ton of reasons why people love animal crossing. There is an aspect that attracts a lot of ocd people with collecting everything in the game. Fish, fossils, bugs, art etc. This doesn't appeal to me as mindlessly grinding is not an experience I enjoy.

Others enjoy the npc social interactions, sending letters, doing small tasks and quests, participating in unique events that span the entire calendar and more. They build connections with townspeople and enjoy the Simulated community.

For me, the BIGGEST reason is its most unique feature. Not a single game does this and it is the prime reason to play the game... It's unified local multi-player world. What this means is sharing the game locally with friends and family to build the town together, with each of you having your own home and changing the world. There is nothing more awesome than playing the game to see my wife has planted a huge flower garden, or see the road system she built. To get letters from your friends with gifts of things they know you want. This is the real magic of the game for me. That shared creative space on a local and intimate scale.

As for the differences between the versions... It is enormous. In wild world for the DS, it introduced online multi-player as its big change. It also utilized touch screen navigation of menus and inventory. It also introduced new buildings to interact with, shops and the museum had an observatory to create custom constellations. The game also moved away from the top down camera and now had a closer rolling log style perspective to simulate a little globe that you explore.

City Folk on wii could communicate with wild world to transfer your character over, is the only game in the series to feature voice chat and had a city hub with tons of new shops and activities to do in that area. This is the one that has the least big changes.

New Leaf is the biggest in terms of changes. There is town codtumization where you build new buildings and decorations through your town, create town ordinances that change how certain aspects of the game can change like making your townspeople and stores stay open and available late at night, make everything more expensive but have them pay out more for items etc. There are online mini games and activities you can play with your friends with, has a downtown area that you can upgrade and add shops to included a night club, a gardening shop, and a crazy dream building which allows you to upload a snapshot of your town for people to interact with while you are not online. There is a street pass plaza where you download people's homes as you encounter them in streat pass and special order any furniture they have.

The game features swimming now and sea exploration, a tropical island location with a broad range of activities and more. This game is jam packed with stuff to do and offers the most customization on all fronts.

I understand how the games are not for everyone, but for me, I use and enjoy all of the features.

The biggest draw for me is that I am very excited for my daughter to play this with me. It will be a great tool to help her read and will allow me to interact with her in cool ways. I can make scavenger hunts for her, send her coded messages and design cool little games in the town for her. This stuff is very exciting for me. It also is a great snapshot of my life. I remember reading a story about someone whose dad passed away and they visited his town to rlhelp remember him, to read letters he sent to them to let them know he loved them... That is such a heartwarming story that stuck with me.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Return to Nintendo