NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Reprise
Next-Gen

Re: Switch Discussion Thread

by Reprise Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:30 pm

noiseredux wrote:After the trailer I described Ultimate Alliance as "Marvel Diablo" to my wife, so we'll be getting that for sure.

Funny, I made the exact same comparison to my fellow Switch owning colleague at work today, who hadn't heard of the series. He was talking about getting Diablo III for the Switch and he's into Marvel, so I think he'll definitely be interested in Ultimate Alliance.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation One, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo Switch, OUYA.

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
Twitter: https://twitter.com/366GamesToPlay
Arenegeth
24-bit

by Arenegeth Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:33 am

I looked into it some more, and it looks like the first two Ultimate Alliance games got a 'remaster' of sorts on Steam and later on consoles back in 2016.

The 'remasters' were pretty messed up, didn't have all the characters and were eventually fixed (to what extend I'm not sure), but were recently taken down because the license run out (you can tell why I don't like buying stuff from Activision now).

I'm still not sure if the original PC version that was released physically would be better to play than this half assed remaster that you can't even buy anymore. And beyond that, though there's a lot of mods for the games, especially in restoring the characters from all other versions (it was ported almost everywhere) or adding DC characters etc. It seems they may not be readily available and may be locked behind private forums...

Well after all that I got... Erm, 'a hold' of the remaster version somehow, to figure if this game was worth the trouble...

Well calling it a Marvel Diablo is a quick and easy comparison, but is a lot more streamlined, there's no builds and great focus on loot here, is mostly character focused by having a really big roster available from the start. Or so I could gather from a cursory glance anyway...

This puts a bit of a dumper for me for the Switch game now, though at the very least that's not handled by Activision, they just licensed it out.

I'm not sure if is worth getting any version of the old games now, though the little I played was actually pretty fun for what it was (though I'm sure it will get repetitive down the line).
Blu
Next-Gen

by Blu Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:02 pm

Got Smash in the mail Thursday after work. So much excitement for this one! It's really incredible so far -- I've been playing both classic and adventure mode, have unlocked around 10 characters. The amount of content in this game is a bit overwhelming. This is probably my game of the year from the amount of enjoyment I'll get.

Is anyone dabbling in the online yet? I'm curious if I should fire up the $20 yearly sub and hop on with yous guys!
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

by BogusMeatFactory Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:13 pm

Blu wrote:Got Smash in the mail Thursday after work. So much excitement for this one! It's really incredible so far -- I've been playing both classic and adventure mode, have unlocked around 10 characters. The amount of content in this game is a bit overwhelming. This is probably my game of the year from the amount of enjoyment I'll get.

Is anyone dabbling in the online yet? I'm curious if I should fire up the $20 yearly sub and hop on with yous guys!

I have dived heavy into online. Essentially, you can set up what types of rules and matches you would like to be in and it tries to set you up with it. If it can not, then it sets you up with a random rulesef.

You can also search and join public lobbies people set up and that is actually a very good way to meet folks and hand pick the rules you like. The web code is pretty solid. I have had a few hiccups here and there and any real stumbles that happen essentially put the game on hold for everyone until it straightens itself out. We need to set up a lobby and get some smash in as soon as possible.

Lobbies allow you to watch matches, queue in to fight and participate. It actually is a cool little depiction of a wrestling ring with stands that you can move your little icon to say you want to fight or watch.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Blu
Next-Gen

by Blu Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:41 am

I am absolutely loving Adventure mode. The spirits are so weird and add a lot of variety to the matchups. In some ways you can cheese right through them, and other are mind-numbingly aggravating. Thus far the Yarn Yoshi one, Ho-Oh Charizard, and Kirbys with wands offered the most challenge. It's really amazing that there's so many paths, sub-worlds, etc. This really is the Ultimate Smash Bros.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:53 pm

I'll be the bad guy then. I'm 100% avoiding it and will not buy it. If I annoyingly got gifted it I'd feel compelled to put some interest into trying it out. I've had every Smash but this one, and the last 2 convinced me it's a boring re-run for me, especially since I won't take it online as that's not fun for me doing a mario party brawler of sorts. I'll stick with the Cube release in HDMI when the need pops up.

Instead of that I went for Monster Boy in the Cursed Kingdom and while it's tricky, it's fair, like a nicely crafted 2D game of the old days, not the cheap hard faux retro common stuff now that gets grating. Game was truly crafted with some care and love put into it, so it has a real personality to it in every aspect.

I'd like to think I'll be playing that Pokemon Go game or Diablo by the end of the year, suspect my parents got me something as a package looks suspiciously Switch game sized I noticed in the huge box that arrived during the week.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:05 pm

I've never gotten into Smash Bros. All the trailers this year kind of had me interested, but the last entry I played was Melee and it didn't do anything to suck me in. A few weeks back there was a demo for Brawlhalla - the Smash clone - and I tried it and was like "eh, not for me." So that kind of made me lose interest in the new Smash. I did see a group of teens playing against each other at a coffee shop over the weekend and was almost feeling like I wished I did like these games. But I don't know. I won't spend $60 to find out either. Is there a demo for the new one?
SamuraiMegas
Next-Gen

by SamuraiMegas Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:08 pm

Just got a switch, and was wondering what games y'all recommend. I only have smash, and I have BOTW on Wii u
Hobie-wan wrote:Milk the banana for all it's worth.

My BST Thread
This account isn't used much anymore. You can find me on reddit and steam @ SamuraiMegas as well.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:40 pm

Definitely Mario Odyssey. Best 3D Mario game since 64.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Arenegeth
24-bit

by Arenegeth Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:43 pm

SamuraiMegas wrote:Just got a switch, and was wondering what games y'all recommend. I only have smash, and I have BOTW on Wii u

I'm always trepidatious when recommending games to people, if I don't know their tastes well personally, since there's some otherwise great games that would be excluded for some people based on genre selection alone.

Having said that...

MrPopo wrote:Definitely Mario Odyssey. Best 3D Mario game since 64.

Hard to argue with that, even if I have a soft spot for Sunshine and a sore spot for Odyssey's forced motion controls.

I will only mention exclusive software since I assume if you have access to other platforms you'd better get everything else there for better performance (rare exceptions may apply), or on the Switch for portability.

Unless we're talking about the Wii U ports, in which case everything is superior on the Switch both in performance and content so for any games that got ported-from the Wii U that you were interested in, get the Switch version instead.

Multiplayer:
Splatoon 2 and ARMS are probably your best Switch exclusive bets here, both games have single player content but the meat of both of them is multiplayer.

RPG:
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and Octopath Traveler are currently the systems big exclusives, I would recommend both of them but they are very different brands of JRPG's, and your millage may vary because of that.

Action:
Fire Emblem Warriors may have some RPG elements but the game's DNA is firmly rooted in its Musou background, if you like that sort of gameplay and if you like Fire Emblem in general you can't go wrong here.

Strategy:
Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle is a Nintendo collaboration with Ubisoft that wielded great merit, I wouldn't call it a hidden gem since the game got very publicized during release but for some it can be an unassuming title for the system.

Well that should be enough to get you going.
Return to Nintendo