NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Re: Switch Discussion Thread

by Tanooki Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:29 pm

marurun wrote:Are those codes re-usable? Are they tied to the cartridge or to the Switch? Maybe this is an attempt to short the resale market. The PC market has already pretty much left the used market behind. Maybe these publishers are trying to find a way to do this for consoles, too. I think it's a bad idea, but it has the potential to work. They have to be looking at the PC market in envy right now (Steam and GOG sales aside).

No like computers you quoted, codes are one use and dead. The resale of the game itself will rely on just the first game (RER1, MML1) alone unless they note they never registered the other. This is something they desperately want on consoles but the push back has been huge. If we had the data setup with gigabit being common like in Japan they'd do away with console physical media entirely because they'd have total control over what we get, what we pay, when we're allowed to have it, resale is dead, and they can kill a license and resell it at any cost at a whim. They tried the first step with the MS DRM thing that blew up with the One and it backfired tagging games to single system installs. The only company that doesn't seem quite on board entirely is Nintendo at this rate of the three, either due to courtesy or convenience but they'll get dragged along or lose third parties all in the name of cost cutting when it's really a control issue.
nullPointer
128-bit

by nullPointer Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:02 pm

I don't mind digital downloads quite as much when they're linked to an account rather than to a specific piece of hardware. I think the missing puzzle piece here is in regards to backwards compatibility. Contrast this with Steam as an example in which games I bought in 2010 still work on my current PC. Modern games work as expected, although I need to may upgrade hardware every few years to facilitate the 'best possible experience'. My old games work, my new games work, and I can install them on as many PCs as I want, so long as the PC is linked to my account. This is the crucial piece that consoles have thus far failed to deliver on in terms of digital content delivery (IMO). Microsoft seems to be at least making an honest attempt at it. But if a purely digital content system like this is going to work on consoles, I think there needs to be some industry recognition that consumers don't want to lose all their previous digital purchases each time they upgrade to new and/or better hardware.
marurun

by marurun Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:07 pm

Well, Nintendo seems to want the Switch to be a long-term platform, so maybe from that perspective it won't so much be an issue. Hard to say, though. MS and Sony also seem to want a longer console cycle, so ongoing compatibility will hopefully be a thing. Nvidia is still developing the Tegra chipset into more advanced models, so it's possible a few years from now we'll see a Switch Pro or Switch Plus or something.
Reprise
Next-Gen

by Reprise Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:33 pm

So reading more into this, apparently Legacy Collection 1 (the one on the physical cartridge) is roughly just under 400mb in size. Legacy Collection 2 (the one that's a separate download) is just under 6GB in size.

Capcom really have cheaped out here and there's no justification for this whatsoever. They've used a 1gb card.

Looks like my speculation a while back that it wouldn't be long before companies used the storage capacity issue as an excuse to start shoving their games on the smallest cartridge size possible (1gb) as a glorified 'activation code' was spot on. That's what's happening here.

Edit:
marurun wrote:so it's possible a few years from now we'll see a Switch Pro or Switch Plus or something.

Oh we'll definitely see that.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation One, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo Switch, OUYA.

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo ID: Mark-Beth
Twitter: https://twitter.com/366GamesToPlay
marurun

by marurun Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:40 pm

Is there really that much of a difference in cost between 1 GB and 8 GB at this point in time? It's got to be so minimal as to be largely pointless.
isiolia
Next-Gen

by isiolia Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:47 pm

marurun wrote:Is there really that much of a difference in cost between 1 GB and 8 GB at this point in time? It's got to be so minimal as to be largely pointless.

With how often these sorts of things seem to be coming up, I'd have to wonder if Nintendo has some sort of fee structure that encourages using smaller cards.

Actual manufacturing cost is probably not that big a difference.
Reprise
Next-Gen

by Reprise Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:30 pm

I'm sure it's already been confirmed that the larger (in terms of capacity) the cartridge that is used, the higher the cost is to the publisher. How much of a difference it is between the different sized cards, I don't know.

32gb cartridges are currently the largest size available, but 64gb were due to be launched this spring/summer. They've now been pushed back until early 2019.

It makes you wonder what the point of 64gb cards are when companies can't even be arsed to use 32gb ones (or in this instance, 8gb ones...).
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation One, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo Switch, OUYA.

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo ID: Mark-Beth
Twitter: https://twitter.com/366GamesToPlay
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:57 pm

marurun wrote:Well, Nintendo seems to want the Switch to be a long-term platform, so maybe from that perspective it won't so much be an issue. Hard to say, though. MS and Sony also seem to want a longer console cycle, so ongoing compatibility will hopefully be a thing. Nvidia is still developing the Tegra chipset into more advanced models, so it's possible a few years from now we'll see a Switch Pro or Switch Plus or something.

Don't you mean we might get a NEW Switch? (If they call it that they are such freaking idiots :lol: ).
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:39 pm

Reprise wrote:I'm sure it's already been confirmed that the larger (in terms of capacity) the cartridge that is used, the higher the cost is to the publisher. How much of a difference it is between the different sized cards, I don't know.

32gb cartridges are currently the largest size available, but 64gb were due to be launched this spring/summer. They've now been pushed back until early 2019.

It makes you wonder what the point of 64gb cards are when companies can't even be arsed to use 32gb ones (or in this instance, 8gb ones...).

It is in fact more as they go up, no different than to an and buyer if they popped up Amazon right now and pulled up a Samsung EVO Select card and rolled the mouse over the 16, 32, 64, 128 and 256 models. The price increases the the percentage of increase drops since they all share base same tech, just more space storage.

32 is used, but seldomly due to cheap outs basically as you said. Square Enix and I guess maybe Nintendo are the only bothering so far which is sad.

There is no fee encouragement to use smaller chips, the only encouragement is the developers cost to publish it on a bigger chip. I read stories within the last half year from people who publish games saying the 8GB card nominally is the cost to the developer that sony or ms charges to get a double density blu ray disc mastered for sale. Nintendolife.com poked around and found out asking multiple developers of the few who would say something that $20 was the general price for a 32GB card for them to buy on their end to throw their games on. This would make sense why the 64GB card got pushed back a year as prices will drop and by then it would be the $20 solution. (citation Sept 2017 -- http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/0 ... game_cards) This same article exposes the 8GB at blu ray costs for the other two in the same section.

This is why when RIME was originally listed to come out it was $10 more than the other two on their media because the size involved added an expense they couldn't eat themselves so they passed it on. Through all the time and delays, and complaints involved, they never lowered it but threw some unique fluff items in with the Switch release to lessen the blow. And the eshop release was the same price as the other guys as well, just physical went up.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:43 am

PartridgeSenpai wrote:Don't you mean we might get a NEW Switch? (If they call it that they are such freaking idiots :lol: ).

No, we will be getting a Switch U.
BST|Writing|Music
"I hope in the upcoming months you'll find parties which conform to your expectations."
Return to Nintendo