NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Re: Switch Discussion Thread

by Tanooki Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:49 pm

PartridgeSenpai wrote:
Reprise wrote:
Tanooki wrote:I may get it one day, but as nice as it looks I fear it's just another 100hr RPG I'll quit in 10-20.

Yeah, this is me.

I wasn't able to sit to the end of Xenoblade 1, so I've never really given the others a try. I went PRETTY ham on sidequests though, so I think that may've burned me out a bit. I keep meaning to give the 3DS version I picked up a try. I think focusing more on the main story and having it more pick-up-and-play will help a lot.

It does. I was not wanting anything to do with it on the Wii specifically being stuck on a TV for a 100 hour plus game mainly due to 2/3 of that or so being the story and the rest the heaping pile of subquests of which most (if any) you really do not have to do but it would replace that time with boring grinding far more to get your level in good standing for the next boss. I went in with the 3DS one and I put that many hours on it before I just moved on, and most of that was me lying in bed playing it like 2 hours a night for much of it. I got to just doing some subquests, grinding got annoying along with many of those quests wanting a long painful walk back to much earlier levels to complete them so I got fed up and stopped.

If this game on Switch isn't that way with the subquests with long derailing my fun backtracks to resolve them I'd be more inclined to buy it and give it a real try.
bmoc
128-bit

by bmoc Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:47 am

I'm about 30 hours into XC2 and just starting chapter 4. For the first 3 chapters there are not a lot of sidequests. They have really started to pick up in chapter 4 but still haven't reached Xenoblade 1 levels. There were so many quest in the first game that you completed a lot on accident. That really isn't the case this time around.

My biggest gripe so far is the lack of a easily accessible map. You can expand the minimap by pressing the left stick but it's use is fairly limited. I have to go into the quick travel menu to truly get my bearings.

That aside, I am really loving this game. Pure JRPG bliss.
bmoc
128-bit

by bmoc Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:12 pm

Got a tanking question for those that are pretty far into Xenoblade 2 and have the ability to use 3 blades per character. Those of you that have made it this far probably know that AI controlled drivers will automatically switch blades if they have one of an element that can continue the blade combo. This can have pretty devastating results if the tank switches to a squishy healer or attacker. So if the AI is playing a tank, it seems best to have that driver use a tank blade in all three slots. Anyone else getting wrecked by the AI switching to a non-tank blade? I am seriously considering swapping some rare blades around with my precious few Overdrive Protocols.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:17 pm

bmoc wrote:Got a tanking question for those that are pretty far into Xenoblade 2 and have the ability to use 3 blades per character. Those of you that have made it this far probably know that AI controlled drivers will automatically switch blades if they have one of an element that can continue the blade combo. This can have pretty devastating results if the tank switches to a squishy healer or attacker. So if the AI is playing a tank, it seems best to have that driver use a tank blade in all three slots. Anyone else getting wrecked by the AI switching to a non-tank blade? I am seriously considering swapping some rare blades around with my precious few Overdrive Protocols.

I kept Poppi as my tank; can't switch to a squishy Blade if you can't have any other Blades. I keep Nia equipped with a healer, a tank, and an attacker so she can switch at will based on the situation which has worked well for me; she's not made any colossally stupid switches for me yet.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

bmoc
128-bit

by bmoc Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:56 pm

Yeah, up until yesterday I tanked almost exclusively with Tora/Poppi. But now I have this new character which which starts out with a nice tank blade. Right now Tora is by far the superior tank because I only had one blade to work with. However, this new character would let me have lot more element options for continuing blade combos. I'm pretty sure Tora will have more options later but I wonder if he would have the same problem with multiple blades.

As luck would have it, almost all of my rare blades on Nia have been healers. Right now it seems to work really well to have a driver specialize in one role if being controlled by the AI. This might change later in the game though.

In any case, I think I will test the waters of this new character with some common tank blades before committing to using Overdrive Protocols (I've only found 3 of them with 40ish hours of gameplay). I have some half decent common blades now that I can send them to out on missions to gain affinity.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:42 pm

Yeah, I haven't gotten that new character (thanks for not spoiling anything :wink: ), but with Nia, I have a rare healer and a rare tank, but her attack Blade is generic (not bad, though).
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Segata
Next-Gen

by Segata Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:59 am

I'm now in part 2 of the insane quest to get Vess.
bmoc
128-bit

by bmoc Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:18 am

Segata wrote:I'm now in part 2 of the insane quest to get Vess.

I finished that quest chain last night. There was one part that I had to Google because I had no idea how to get to the place the quest was sending me to. The entrance to said place was extremely well hidden. Good luck!
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

by dunpeal2064 Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:27 am

Just made it into Chapter 4 myself. Game is really starting to pick up! I finally set aside a good chunk of time to try to come to grips with all the different systems and mechanics in place, and got everyone kitted out fairly well now.

I've been keeping each character equipped with Blades of the same role, just to avoid any nonsense, and just about managed to cover every element. Pulled some really interesting rare Blades as well (Most of them from common cores!), and had some luck getting good stuff for Poppi (Nabbed a Tank III, something I'm not even able to purchase right now).

I liked the first game well enough (Skipped XCX), and thus had some expectation of fun here, but so far this game has far outdone its predecessors for me, surprisingly so.

Also ty bmoc for not spoiling <3
bmoc
128-bit

by bmoc Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:58 am

dunpeal2064 wrote:I've been keeping each character equipped with Blades of the same role, just to avoid any nonsense, and just about managed to cover every element. Pulled some really interesting rare Blades as well (Most of them from common cores!), and had some luck getting good stuff for Poppi (Nabbed a Tank III, something I'm not even able to purchase right now).

After messing around with this new driver last night, I am thoroughly convinced that if the AI is tanking, you need to have all that driver's blades as tanks. It worked wonders even with 1 rare blade and 2 common blades. I eventually burned an Overdrive Protocol to bring a rare tank over to the new driver. If your main healer is being controlled by the AI, you can probably get away with 1 attacker blade if you aren't fighting anything too nasty. For the player controlled driver, you can just do whatever makes sense to bust out sweet blade/driver/fusion combos and fill in for any role gaps in the party.

dunpeal2064 wrote:Also ty bmoc for not spoiling <3

8)
Return to Nintendo