Switch Discussion Thread

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Sarge
Next-Gen

Re: Switch Discussion Thread

Post by Sarge »

Reprise wrote:*third party publisher releases inferior or shoddy port for Nintendo platform*
*sales are low, because said port is inferior or shoddy*
*third party publishers decide "OUR GAMES DON'T SELL ON NINTENDO"*

So much this.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Sarge wrote:
Reprise wrote:*third party publisher releases inferior or shoddy port for Nintendo platform*
*sales are low, because said port is inferior or shoddy*
*third party publishers decide "OUR GAMES DON'T SELL ON NINTENDO"*

So much this.

It's easier (and I'm tired/lazy) to quote this than the post before by reprise. :)

We're on the same page. And yes the 7000+ copies of 10K didn't sell through on that first day. That's the problem why it was clickbait, no follow up. The initial story said it didn't sell, failed to neglect how few were put into the UK market too. I saw many local responses from Brits on a few forums arguing against the story saying that it did in fact end up selling out online and also at local stuff like GAME, Tesco, etc. But that kind of is how so called media these days go, run for the headline, not the facts, as it stirs up more controversy and interest. You can always make an apology towards the back page of stuff or a clarification at the bottom of an online piece and don't note the update later. :)

Yes the WiiU got fubard I had and ditched one shortly after MK8 popped up so I never even played that until the Switch release. I was pissed wanting variety so I did get ME3 to then have those dicks release the Trilogy, and for more salt in it like $10 less on the other guys boxes. Making it worse that game wasn't even fun like ME2 so I got rid of it. The rest of the third party games were a range of 2-4 years old, badly converted with FPS problems, graphics glitch/drop out, you name it. After their self defeating efforts did the job, the losers put out one last 'try' at a 2nd gen of games and sure they ran right and looked right, but still didn't sell well because they also came out later than the other guys. Ignoring/lying about that point and what they did out of the gate, they used it as a smear campaign justification to drop support blaming Nintendo owners.

It was just insulting to me really so I was so turned off I got rid of the console in disgust(never done that before ever.) I also perhaps still haven't forgiven both EA and Ubisoft given that I have not bought any of their games since that time as I can't support shady shit like that. To (for the argument here) look me in the eye, tell ME I'm the problem, and that it's my fault they pulled the rug out when all they offered were buggy broken old games, and then to delay a 2nd go at it as justification to ragequit on the WiiU was infuriating.

Sorry no, we did want your games, but for $60 they needed to work out of the box without problems. They had to be released on time in parity with the PS3/360 titles too. This wasn't done, so your slap to the face shovelware dumpster copies of the games didn't get bought.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Here’s another way of getting at this question:

I have only these Switch games, and bought them for these reasons:

Breath of the Wild - best version & portable
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - best version & portable
Fast RMX - exclusive, enjoy the genre
Puyo Puyo Tetris - day and date US release w/ps4 version, identical across platforms but also portable
Sonic Mania - day and date release across platforms, identical across platforms but also portable
Splatoon 2 - exclusive, for my son

What other games am I missing out on meet these kind of criteria? I don’t care for Rabbids or Pokemon, and I don’t know of anything coming out aside from Mario Odyssey that i should care about. What have I missed, what should I be hyped for?
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

dsheinem wrote:Here’s another way of getting at this question:

I have only these Switch games, and bought them for these reasons:

Breath of the Wild - best version & portable
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - best version & portable
Fast RMX - exclusive, enjoy the genre
Puyo Puyo Tetris - day and date US release w/ps4 version, identical across platforms but also portable
Sonic Mania - day and date release across platforms, identical across platforms but also portable
Splatoon 2 - exclusive, for my son

What other games am I missing out on meet these kind of criteria? I don’t care for Rabbids or Pokemon, and I don’t know of anything coming out aside from Mario Odyssey that i should care about. What have I missed, what should I be hyped for?

If you do any co-op experience, I would recommend snipperclips, overcooked, the jackbox party games, Shovel Knight (which gets at release had specter knight first and will have king knight first as well), Lego city undercover now with co-op. Of all of those, only Lego city undercover requires another full set of joycons.

I am not saying those are all MUST HAVES for everyone, but if you play games with other people, it is an absolute positive.

For future titles, Octopath Traveller is going to be great! I played the demo and to be honest, I am not into JRPGS much at all anymore and I was sucked in.

We will also have a new Kirby game, a new Yoshi game, a new metroid prime coming out of Nintendo in the future.

As for indy games, we already have Golf Story which is an old school style golf game mixed with a modern rpg. it is very very silly and a LOT of fun, but has some bugs they need to clean up.

We are also getting rocket league with cross platform, inside, Kentucky route zero, l.a. noir with new features, Battle Chef Brigade which is a crazy platformer match three puzzle game about competitive cooking, Travis strikes again: No More Heroes and more.

Yes... some of these games listed are older games, but if you haven't played them, but wanted to, now you have your chance.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

So here's where I am on these:
---
Snipperclips - didn't care for the demo
Overcooked - have it on PC, plus the Switch version is typically more expensive and is/was buggy
The Jackbox Party games - have had these on PC for at least three years
Shovel Knight - have had this since release on 3DS at least three years ago
Lego city undercover - my son may dig this one, I suppose, but he still has lots of other Lego games on other platforms

Octopath Traveller - didn't know of this one. on my radar now.

New Kirby game, a new Yoshi game, a new Metroid Prime - I am interested in all of these, but I feel like these will be next year's standard "one-big-game-per-quarter" releases from Nintendo...which was the same pattern with the Wii U :? .

Golf Story - I don't think this is one that will interest me, but I may check it out on sale

Kentucky route zero - have had this on PC for more than four years
l.a. noir with new features - have had this on PC/PS3 for more than six years
Battle Chef Brigade - will keep an eye on it. is it exclusive?

Travis strikes again: No More Heroes and more - I forgot about this one...it is something I have potential interest in, though I still need to play NMH2
---
I guess that, with the exception of Metroid Prime 4, there's nothing on here that I really feel excited about. There's nothing else I'd want to preorder, follow the development around, or make me feel especially glad that I have a Switch.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

dsheinem wrote:So here's where I am on these:
---
Snipperclips - didn't care for the demo
Overcooked - have it on PC, plus the Switch version is typically more expensive and is/was buggy
The Jackbox Party games - have had these on PC for at least three years
Shovel Knight - have had this since release on 3DS at least three years ago
Lego city undercover - my son may dig this one, I suppose, but he still has lots of other Lego games on other platforms

Octopath Traveller - didn't know of this one. on my radar now.

New Kirby game, a new Yoshi game, a new Metroid Prime - I am interested in all of these, but I feel like these will be next year's standard "one-big-game-per-quarter" releases from Nintendo...which was the same pattern with the Wii U :? .

Golf Story - I don't think this is one that will interest me, but I may check it out on sale

Kentucky route zero - have had this on PC for more than four years
l.a. noir with new features - have had this on PC/PS3 for more than six years
Battle Chef Brigade - will keep an eye on it. is it exclusive?

Travis strikes again: No More Heroes and more - I forgot about this one...it is something I have potential interest in, though I still need to play NMH2
---
I guess that, with the exception of Metroid Prime 4, there's nothing on here that I really feel excited about. There's nothing else I'd want to preorder, follow the development around, or make me feel especially glad that I have a Switch.

And that is all very fair! I feel like the switch will be the place for indy games, as it is the place for timed and just straight up exclusives. This is also the system for Nintendo stuff clearly and... hopefully a place for dialed back current gen games on the go.

My biggest hope is that it continue to have lots of couch co-op titles, indy or not. I play socially with my wife and friends so as long as that continues I will be super happy, the rest is just gravy.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

There's also technically the Fire Emblem musou game coming out later this month, if you like those, and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 was dated for December 1st, offhand.

Largely though, I'd agree. Not a whole lot that I find super appealing past the tentpole Nintendo releases. I actually got a Switch yesterday (early birthday present) but have yet to take it out of the box. The only games I'd really want for it that are out...I have on Wii U.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Oh, right, I forgot about Xenoblade. That's a buy.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

I'm mostly looking forward to a lot of third party games and old ports that I guess most people would perhaps roll their eyes or shrug their shoulders at.

Namely:

Sonic Forces (yeah, it's getting some criticism for 'safe' level design and because Sonic Mania just came out and blew it away, but I loved Generations and Colors)
L.A. Noire (yeah, 6 year old game that I already own on PS3, but it was one of my favourites of that generation and I can't wait to replay it, at home or on the go)
Doom (again, it's freaking Doom on the go)
WWE 2K18 (WWE wrestling games haven't been the best the last few years, but I also wouldn't say they're terrible. Again, the portable aspect makes this a must for me)
Wolfenstein 2 (yeah, later than the other versions, but...)

The portable aspect of the console is just huge for me. It's a huge benefit.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

dsheinem wrote:Here’s another way of getting at this question:

I saw your reply to bogus. If octopath is something you'd perhaps get into, did you like I Am Setsuna or know of it? This one is from Square-Enix and plays much like Chrono Trigger with the combat and style. While mostly digital, the Japanese got a physical release which has english on it (I imported it) and the company who made it has a sequel coming published also by S-E late January -- Lost Sphear and from S-E's US website you can buy a physical release for $50 vs digital and only there.

I don't recall if you were ever into Fire Emblem but there's both a 'warriors' musou game coming very shortly as well as a traditional style one as well on Switch.

Like Reprise I'm in for the Bethesda titles (all 3 for me.) And while they're cross system delayed ports there's also Axiom Verge and RIME. Battle Chasers is coming when they iron out some Unity bugs and it's a JRPG of sorts. Capcom has Res Evil Revelations 1+2 coming this year or very early next. And if you like Dragon Quest Builders 1 and 2 are announced along with DQ10 and 11 at some point in time in 2018.