Switch Discussion Thread

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

Re: Switch Discussion Thread

Post by Forlorn Drifter »

So, there's an Asia English version of the Kunio-kun collection. Does anybody know what is translated? All versions of the collection have the English games, but I'm wondering if the other games are too. I'm interested, but don't know if it's worth getting.

That's one thing about Switch- I think it might be even better than previous consoles about Asia English releases and foreign physical releases than other systems. (One day I hope to get Bayonetta physical...)
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I think just the US games are in English.
strangenova
Next-Gen

Post by strangenova »

I got a Switch last month, I've been playing almost exclusively on it. It's my portable Smash and indie machine. I'm curious to dig into some of the more high end switch games like the ports of doom and wolfenstein, but I'm nervous to how well they hold up.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I wouldn't be nervous. Skyrim on Switch is incredible for instance.

Oh hey guys, Dragons Dogma announced for Switch!

Also Switch Online NES games for this month will include Zelda II and Blaster Master!
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

No reason to be nervous, especially as a portable as I can speak for Doom, it holds up very very well. Sure it's not running in 1080 or 1440 but if you're happy with 720 with some dynamic resolution changes here or there to keep the fps friendly it's all good. The game doesn't chug, don't get me wrong on that, it's still solid all around and I think it plays better on there too like it was meant for a gamepad more than a mouse and keyboard as I have it on PC too.
strangenova
Next-Gen

Post by strangenova »

Ive heard that the switch ports have massive amounts of motion blur that wasnt in the other versions. Any truth to that?
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

No. It could be put in as a feature, but they aren't some blurry mess. If someone is writing that, they're trying to pull out the old disparage Nintendo over AA blur from the N64 era type of card there. Switch is the only home handheld/console I use anymore outside of my PC and I've got over 20 games on it. My games aren't blurry in motion unless the game was designed as such for effect.
strangenova
Next-Gen

Post by strangenova »

Well I'm convinced. Next time Doom or Wolfenstein go on a good sale I'll pick them up. Thanks team :wink:
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

strangenova wrote:Ive heard that the switch ports have massive amounts of motion blur that wasnt in the other versions. Any truth to that?

The Switch ports are fairly blurry in general, but it's not due to that (you can actually disable motion blur). It's due to running at a low resolution (and effects running at an even lower one), and utilizing much lower detail textures. Additionally, they only target 30fps instead of 60, and can't maintain that in busier parts (not that the other consoles quite maintain 60fps either, but they're pretty close).

Digital Foundry's looks at them have a lot of side-by-side comparisons (DOOM, New Colossus).

It's more that you can play them portably, and the built-in screen is more forgiving to the lowered detail. On a big TV, the Switch versions will look blurry by comparison simply because they're lowest detail versions of the games available.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

did anyone get one of those Hori Switch dpad Joycon replacements? I'm considering using up some Amazon credit on one. Though $24 just to replace the dpad... ugh, I'm not sure if it's worth it or not. Plus, I kind of hate that the US ones are all branded instead of just a solid color like the Japanese ones were.