Switch Discussion Thread

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Reprise
Next-Gen

Re: Switch Discussion Thread

Post by Reprise »

Anyone else playing Astral Chain? It was my first time playing a Platinum game and immedietly not feeling the combat. Gotta say that's now changed though. I love the different mechanics and combos you can do with the legions. It really brings something new to the table.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

Reprise wrote:Anyone else playing Astral Chain? It was my first time playing a Platinum game and immedietly not feeling the combat. Gotta say that's now changed though. I love the different mechanics and combos you can do with the legions. It really brings something new to the table.

I really wantes to ger it but the physical editions of Collection of Mana and Metal Wolf Chaos XD were just released so I am tapped out for the moment. Astral Chain will probably be the next game I buy. It looks great and is getting good reviews.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Reprise wrote:Anyone else playing Astral Chain? It was my first time playing a Platinum game and immedietly not feeling the combat. Gotta say that's now changed though. I love the different mechanics and combos you can do with the legions. It really brings something new to the table.

I'm on File 4 now. The weird thing about the game is you don't actually get to use the good combat until File 3, so it'll feel clunky in File 2 when the game gives you the run through of the basic game loop (since File 1 is just the playable prologue, effectively).
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

MrPopo wrote:

I'm on File 4 now. The weird thing about the game is you don't actually get to use the good combat until File 3, so it'll feel clunky in File 2 when the game gives you the run through of the basic game loop (since File 1 is just the playable prologue, effectively).

Haha that's exactly what I was talking about! Files 1 and 2 were when I wasn't 'feeling' the combat. File 3 is when it all made sense, because it opened up all these new mechanics and moves you can do. I actually reduced the combat difficulty after File 2 to 'casual' because I was getting my ass handed to me, but then I found that way too easy in File 3 after you get a bunch of new moves and the combat clicks, so I'm putting it back to Standard.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
Ghegs
64-bit

Post by Ghegs »

One review said that the combat in Astral Chain is the least Platinum-like yet. Anybody else feel that? Because I'm not a big fan of Platinum's most popular titles, so not-like-Platinum might work just fine for me.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Of Platinum's output I've played MadWorld, a bit of Wonderful 101, and Nier Automata (and Star Fox Zero, but that doesn't apply here). So of the two games I've beaten compared to Astral Chain I'd say Astral Chain gives you the largest number of distinct things to do in a fight, while still having those be options, rather than requirements to succeed. But in terms of the general ability to wade into combat, beat up on dudes and do some timing stuff they all have a similar feel to them. There's an emphasis on having combat that isn't massively intricate (like a From game) and looks cinematic; you feel cool engaging in the combat even if a lot of the cool stuff is automated.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Nintendo Direct announced for tomorrow night - I'm calling it; SNES games coming to Switch Online.

...and maybe Overwatch?
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

noiseredux wrote:Nintendo Direct announced for tomorrow night - I'm calling it; SNES games coming to Switch Online.

Yup. 20 SNES games added today.

...and maybe Overwatch?

Yup. 10/15.

Oh, and other awesome stuff... who expected Deadly Premonition 2 to ever be a thing???
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

Post by Forlorn Drifter »

It wasn't announced in the English direct (likely because localization is a way off) but Moon:Remix RPG Adventure is coming to Switch, which will probably intrigue some here. Bone, that sound up your alley? It is being localized, coming early 2020.

Kinda sucks for the people that were working on the fan translation, but it's an interesting development nonetheless. No idea if I'm interested, but as far as the story of it all it's the kind of thing that catches my attention.

I am curious if we'll get an early direct in 2020 (January/February) or if we have to wait until later, like March. I think Nintendo needs to show a bit stronger in the first half of the year compared to the last two, it feels a bit lighter than I'd like. Or maybe third parties could put some stuff out then...
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP
TheSSNintendo
128-bit

Post by TheSSNintendo »

I'm definitely picking up Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition.