Switch Discussion Thread

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Sarge
Next-Gen

Re: NX Predictions Thread

Post by Sarge »

I used to do that. In fact, most of my consoles are used. But it's also been a while since I've bought any of my primary consoles used. 360, PS3, Wii, Wii U, 3DS, Vita, PSP, all bought new. Usually after price drops, though.

On the other hand, when I was younger, I bought my SNES, N64, Gamecube, XBOX, Saturn, Dreamcast, Genesis, Sega CD, and 32X (among others) used. Some because I was late to the party, others because I was trying to cheap out. It worked out in some cases (the Gamecube and Dreamcast), and backfired in others (the XBOX).

Seriously, that XBOX was all sorts of problems. I had to return the first one, got an exchange, DVD drive was still sketchy but sort of worked, right up until the motherboard crapped out. Went to Walmart and bought a new one, never looked back. That one is still kickin' quite well (and has the excellent Samsung DVD drive in it, to boot).
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

I tried to avoid getting disc based systems used. I just don't trust disc drives in general, so if I'm going to get a system with one, I want it to be new so that I know that it hasn't had any wear and tear that I don't know about and - hopefully - a decen warranty if it craps out on me early on (like my Xbox One did).
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Anayo
Next-Gen

Post by Anayo »

I bought the 32 GB Wii U + Splatoon + Smash Bros bundle in November 2015. Now I feel as though I just bought a Sega Saturn in early 1997.

BogusMeatFactory wrote:So a good thing right? Since all the saturn games are insanely expensive and brilliant.

Reprise wrote:You should have seen that coming!

But on the bright side, buying a console towards its life is great, in my opinion. You don't suffer the draught of releases, as you have a decent library of releases already established and you can pick up some games reasonably cheap.

samsonlonghair wrote:Exactly! You did well, Anayo. I intend to buy mysellf a WiiU next year - Just in time to buy up all the best games on the cheap. 

Well, you all are right... I checked eBay and Amazon and people are trying to sell that unique bundle for double the retail price. I also scooped up Bayonetta 1 + 2 for $30 just as it went out of print, and there's a pawn shop near where I work which sold me Windwaker HD and Mario Kart 8 $20 each for some reason. Not sure if any of those will reach Panzer Dragoon Saga status, but still not bad.

The weird thing is: every Nintendo product I've purchased has lasted for years and years with solid support. I've had NES, N64, Gamecube, and at least one version of each handheld. It's just surreal to buy a Nintendo product that doesn't have an illustrious future ahead of it. It makes me feel kinda empty.
darthmunky
Next-Gen

Post by darthmunky »

Do you think they'll show it at E3?
- Check out my Trade List
- Check out my Want List
- My GameTZ feedback
- My eBay feedback
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

darthmunky wrote:Do you think they'll show it at E3?

Nintendo has stated that the only thing they're bringing to E3 is the new Zelda.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

darthmunky wrote:Do you think they'll show it at E3?

They've already come out all over saying no and that Zelda is basically the only thing they're showing off.

RIP Wii U.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Kind of RIP Nintendo as far as E3 goes too. I don't understand what they intend to have anyone show at all -- you can't exist on Zelda, the fan pool is shrinking which is why they're changing things up lately. I'm sure they're holding out for Spaceworld which is their thing but it sounds like a really really bad idea. Fine don't show NX on the floor, but to play the Hellen Keller act on their broadcasted conference the day or two before the show is just beyond stupid.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Yeah, in ways I fully expect Nintendo to unveil more about their projects at other shows thesedays or under their own Nintendo Direct's. But being very vocal about literally only showcasing a single game at something like E3, is pretty funky. Maybe we'll get some announcements of stuff or something, but they're definitely being adamant about ONLY doing Zelda and nothing else. Who knows...

From what I hear on some gaming podcasts lately, this E3 in general is shaping up to be a weird one.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Between middling existing systems with some beefier tech for the few who have and even care about 4K, then the NX (Nintendo eXit) from the show in general it looks to be weird to say the least. I get the other two guys, the stuff is expensive, and due to the poor business models they follow and the bad budgeting of game studios the longer the hardware lives the better they're off makes sense. But Nintendo makes none at all. We already know that Zelda isn't a WiiU game anymore anyway entirely so to basically if this isn't smoke to come to the show with already released stuff, that, and borderline nothing considering their total lack of any third party support seems like a pointless time waster that they should be ashamed of. It makes me wonder if they just do E3 at this rate because they feel they have to not to lose their rights to the huge booth and save face.
Cronozilla
Next-Gen

Post by Cronozilla »

I can't really blame Nintendo for these choices. E3 is expensive. Like, really expensive. And the original intention of the trade show isn't even relevant anymore. It solely exists as a commercial marketing presence for the industry, which as video game fans we enjoy, but I doubt it works out financially for almost anyone involved whom isn't named ESA.

The culture behind E3 coverage, and the larger video gaming journalism culture overall, is not particularly conducive to showcasing things equally, or in an unbiased manner. Year after year, pretty much everything Nintendo shows gets constantly derided by these groups or worse, purposefully misrepresented. To the point that Nintendo has slowly reduced their involvement in the activities. Why allow your product unveils to be completely enveloped by antagonistic entities?

Do I want to see huge Nintendo stage shows? Hell yeah. Do I think they're going to do them again? No way. The vocal culture towards Nintendo's projects are openly vitriolic. I can't blame them for reacting the way they have.