Switch Discussion Thread

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Arenegeth
24-bit

Re: Switch Discussion Thread

Post by Arenegeth »

Reprise wrote:What was wrong with the Jet Set Radio remaster? Once it was patched, it was great.

There was nothing 'wrong' with it per se, it just wasn't anything special for a game already running at 480p on original hardware. They also lost like three music tracks from the original but that wasn't a big deal.

That's my problem with these sort of HD remasters, they upscale the resolution and do little else, which is great for people who never owned the game to begin with, and have a modern avenue to get it, but it does little for people like me who owned the game since the old days, and could always emulate it in higher resolutions that the native hardware didn't allow anyway.

Stuff like the Kingdom Hearts remasters are more worthy, since they re-did some of the models from scratch and stuff like that.

Jet Set Radio, Crazy Taxi and the God of War remasters are the lazy man's remasters.

I mean I got the Shenmue I&II remaster recently (twice) and I still plan on playing the originals on the good old Dreamcast this Christmas.

Well there's achievements with these new HD remasters if you're into that I suppose.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

Arenegeth wrote:That's my problem with these sort of HD remasters, they upscale the resolution and do little else, which is great for people who never owned the game to begin with, and have a modern avenue to get it, but it does little for people like me who owned the game since the old days, and could always emulate it in higher resolutions that the native hardware didn't allow anyway.

To me, accurate, not-particularly-enhanced ports are totally fine as long as the MSRP is set accordingly. Making/keeping the game available to people on new systems, or to new audiences, is a worthy goal.

Ideally we'd see more things like what MS has been doing via backwards compatibility, automatically providing the enhanced port to folks with the original game, but even that would have limits.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

isiolia wrote:
Arenegeth wrote:That's my problem with these sort of HD remasters, they upscale the resolution and do little else, which is great for people who never owned the game to begin with, and have a modern avenue to get it, but it does little for people like me who owned the game since the old days, and could always emulate it in higher resolutions that the native hardware didn't allow anyway.

To me, accurate, not-particularly-enhanced ports are totally fine as long as the MSRP is set accordingly. Making/keeping the game available to people on new systems, or to new audiences, is a worthy goal.

Ideally we'd see more things like what MS has been doing via backwards compatibility, automatically providing the enhanced port to folks with the original game, but even that would have limits.

That's where I fall in with it too. Back when I had the PS3 and that was that, I was all over the GoW 1+2 conversions as they were cheap and insanely good games done well but with no added fan service, same could be said with the more finalized GoW3 too as it helped fill in the gaps. The problem is lazy ones, licensing bs or whatever you lose this or that and it takes something away. That I hate, and I don't consider a straight conversion done nice lazy, as long as it has a lower price bar to hurdle to enjoy it. You give me a copy cat updated remaster for $60 forget it, give it to me for like $30-40 I'm in. I know a lot of work goes into it still not to demean, but nowhere near the years and amount the original development did.

That said, about that those upcoming Switch games? :P Also I got my first look at that Pokemon Go Switch title at a kiosk today. Let my kid play it for a little and it really wasn't that bad. A little jarring having NO combat in the open areas, just catch or not with the pokemon, but that didn't bug me after the first few tries. The people battles all still exist, and they pay nicer cash and give a small pile of balls on wins too for more of the random pick ups (each which give XP boosts to your critters when it ends.)

She also told me her cousin nearby dad has a Switch with Pokken Tournament DX and she was loving it, kicked some ass using MewTwo from what I understand. Given how boring and non-fighter played out Smash is to me, I'm half tempted to buy the game to have something of a real Nintendo fighting game in the house.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

So despite always leaving my Pro controller hooked up and wired, it seems to be dead this morning. Plugging it directly into an outlet now. Have you guys have weird issues with the Pro controller like this? I read it's always slowly draining power for some "Find Controller" feature or whatever. But if I'm leaving my Switch and controller always plugged in, why would it completely drain? Been using the Switch a lot this past month. Does it only charge when the Switch is on by chance?...

Hopefully it charges up and is not defective.

Remember when you turned a console on and controllers just WORKED?
Arenegeth
24-bit

Post by Arenegeth »

Xeogred wrote:So despite always leaving my Pro controller hooked up and wired, it seems to be dead this morning. Plugging it directly into an outlet now. Have you guys have weird issues with the Pro controller like this?

No. In fact batteries for Nintendo stuff in general are notoriously long lasting (from my experience anyway).

I had a GBA SP that I hadn't charged for OVER 5 YEARS! When I powered it on it still had like an hour of life left after all that time.

Sony stuff on the other hand are the complete opposite, my PSP 3000 model goes dead even if it was fully charged within 5 days of being untouched, and I often find the PS4 controller dead or close to dead in a month of inactivity.

I'm not sure about the Joycons, since I barely use them, but the Pro Controller should be fine, and I never keep it plugged in for long periods of time.

So something might be wrong in your case, you may want to try a different USB-C cable, different power source (I use a USB slot on my PC to charge it these days), or a different battery before you replace the whole controller though, since that stuff are cheaper/easier things to replace.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

After charging it, it still wouldn't turn on until I hit the sync button while pushing some buttons. Very strange. I think the Switch menu shows that it's fully charged now. Maybe it somehow got desynced... yet that wouldn't explain why it wasn't doing anything when plugged into the Switch originally (as it always is) though...

Hope this "premium" over priced controller doesn't fail me anytime soon.

The Wii U Pro had better battery life in my experience, that thing was a beast. But I'm glad they ditched the glossy finish for the Switch Pro.

I'm one super boss away from 100%'ing Xenoblade 2 Torna basically! After that I have Tropical Freeze to hit up again.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

That's weird dude. Mine holds a charge for DAYS without needing to be plugged in at all. Never had any issues at all. And honestly, I love this controller so much.

On that note, I did pick up my wife one of those PowerA "Pro-Style" controllers for Diablo III and it seems quite solid, though cheaper than a Pro. It feels slightly cheaper in my hands, but some may not mind. I definitely love the Pro controller though.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

If the pro controller is an early iteration, there was a weird issue where it would state it isn't charged even if it was. Have you updated your controller in the system menu? This supposedly fixes the issue.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

BogusMeatFactory wrote:If the pro controller is an early iteration, there was a weird issue where it would state it isn't charged even if it was. Have you updated your controller in the system menu? This supposedly fixes the issue.

Whoa... nice heads up, it needed an update! Maybe that will do the trick. Mine isn't from launch but I got it in December last year, so still a little dated.

I never would have guessed my controller might need a firmware update haha... hopefully that does it.

noiseredux wrote:On that note, I did pick up my wife one of those PowerA "Pro-Style" controllers for Diablo III and it seems quite solid, though cheaper than a Pro. It feels slightly cheaper in my hands, but some may not mind. I definitely love the Pro controller though.

I was kind of curious about the Zelda one, lol.
https://www.amazon.com/PowerA-Wired-Con ... B075FBPT3W

I always hear good things about Hori, their Gamecube controller looks very good:
https://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Switch- ... B01AD478L6
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

I remember that power glitch. I got a pro controller earlier on and found it second hand at a shop for $50 which suited me fine. I find when I don't use it even for like a lot of months, the battery still has something left to it which is nice. Not the oddity of the Gameboy battery that can go years as I've had that too, even backup I have detached in a little drawer I keep stuff in still have something going on.

I finally had to charge that pro controller about a week ago as I tried to use it docking the system for once to play, and it worked one day, came back the next and no. It had been so long I lost the charge cable I thought. I almost bought one online, then noticed something hanging and it was still attached to the Switch dock out of that outside left port (doh.)

By the way anyone here interested in those Square-Enix pile of remasters or is it just me? I don't need yet another copy of FF10, but 15 Pocket is shockingly interesting to me. Recently FF12 HD was shown as both coming soon, and physical on the Switch for $50 and Amazon is pre-selling it just over $40 right now. I've wanted to try that out as the lost chapter I missed out on in PS2 days, but never read much into it as it was after I didn't have a PS2 anymore selling so much off. I looked into it earlier noticed it was the first FF game with overhead walking enemies, none of the random battle bs. That really makes me interested in it now even more as I really liked that, especially when Dragon Quest started to take that up.

Also as a heads up, I brought it up months ago, but any day now yes-asia should have that Capcom brawlers package of games we only got digitally for sale on physical media for around $35USD. They do free shipping at $39 annoyingly, but I was considering Okami which they have too on real media so that may fix that issue if I bother with both. It seems either way they only charge $3!! to ship to the US which is nice to see, so I'll probably just blow off Okami for now.