Switch Discussion Thread

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
marurun

Re: Switch Discussion Thread

Post by marurun »

Except that Skyrim Switch has, by most accounts, sold very well, and that's already available everywhere. There are a lot of folks who just want to be able to play wherever and are willing to tolerate some visual compromises.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Skyrim on Switch is amazing.
Arenegeth
24-bit

Post by Arenegeth »

marurun wrote:There are a lot of folks who just want to be able to play wherever and are willing to tolerate some visual compromises.

That is true. But I'm not sure how much that is a factor for a more dedicated audience like the one Yakuza has, I mean the series was in a handheld before and they didn't even bother bringing those games over to the west, though I'm unsure how well they did domestically.

I must admit I am a bit biased against playing on the go, so I may be underestimating the demand, but I guess if a Yakuza game ever gets ported, the sales comparison would paint a clearer picture.

I also don't think the Skyrim comparison is fair given how much mainstream penetration that game has and how much of a niche series Yakuza is.

But given what Yakuza series is made for the Japanese market first and foremost, and the Wii U port of 1&2 had those abysmal sales, I doubt we'll see any Yakuza games on a Nintendo platform any time soon, even if it wasn't for a developer outright stating it.

However I'm always for more people having access to more games at the platform of their choice, though without retaining exclusive software (and if you ignore the recent PC releases (edit: and the Wii U port obviously) Yakuza was always Sony platform exclusive) there's diminishing reasons to own a console versus a PC these days.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

I mean the Wii U also sold terribly, especially in Japan where consoles have been in decline for years, so I'm not really sure what Sega thought the Wii U port would accomplish. If anything, with how successful the Switch has been in Japan, and how Sega has already began porting Yakuza to PC (making it definitively not something restricted only to Sony platforms), there has never been a better time to have Yakuza on Switch.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

Post by Forlorn Drifter »

MrPopo wrote:
Forlorn Drifter wrote:And not related, but I think Konami has something up its sleeve right now... and I think it's Switch related.

Are you implying Konami plans to make games again?

No, I think we're going to get them farming out remasters to teams that shouldn't get them, like what happened with Silent Hill Collection. Or maybe just ports of old remasters to new gen.
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP
Arenegeth
24-bit

Post by Arenegeth »

PartridgeSenpai wrote:I mean the Wii U also sold terribly, especially in Japan where consoles have been in decline for years, so I'm not really sure what Sega thought the Wii U port would accomplish.

Those were also 'HD' (read: higher resolution and not-much else) ports of PS2 games that were around for years, and were also ported to the far more popular, in general and especially for the series, PS3, at the same time.

So I assume their sales were observed contextually, and they were horrible as that, they probably ended up selling 2000 units or something.

Otherwise it is a bit of a stupid comparison for reasons already mentioned.

But that's Sega these days I suppose, it took them awhile to do the series justice in the west after all (and I'm still bitter for not getting Kenzan and Ishin).

What I'd like to see, or rather NOT see on the Switch however, is more Wii U ports. As a Wii U owner the list of exclusive software for that platform, that hasn't had a superior port (both in performance and content) on the Switch is getting ever smaller, good for people that didn't buy a Wii U I suppose, but for me it feels like getting slapped in the face for my loyalty.

One exception would be Project Zero/Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water, if they can finally release a fully uncensored physical release to all regions this time.

Otherwise, and given that both Metroid Prime 4 and Bayonetta 3 may skip 2019 for 2020, Daemon X Machina is the only Switch exclusive I'm looking forward to that's confirmed for next year.
marurun

Post by marurun »

I think there are a few Dreamcast titles I’d love to see ported to Switch. An updated Maken X, anyone? Another Blue Stinger?
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

See that's the deal, the Switch isn't a total substandard mess the Wii especially was against HD or it's god awful successor. The fact it's a handheld unit adds a lot more punch to it too. With that android/tegra looking for it has without the nvidia shield heavy loaded baggage it leaves quite a bit of room. With those engines out there that work and scale marvelously towards it, you have entities like Panic Button (Bethesda stuff), and also that out of nowhere Singapore company Virtuos (Starlink, Dark Souls Remastered series) doing incredible work on the system it adds a lot of value. Sure you do get compromises, but they're well regulated crafted ones, completely tactical too in how it's handled as well.

Ever look into those DF videos about the Switch stuff and how they go off on how surprised they about this and that, and even compare release? One reoccuring theme that keeps popping up is that both Panic Button and Virtuos set hard rules to go by which is to have a consistent or at worse barely off the mark 30fps as their locking point. Combining that with pulling out maybe some water reflections, lowering the intensity of some lighting (Bloom etc) stuff, and dynamic resolution changes they get the job done surprisingly almost too well. If you look at various releases, you'll find oddly that against the bone stock PS4/One (not the Pro units) the Switch tends to outperform them for consistency. The others often get stuck in that 40-45fps range which gets into some jittery sticking messes and they too dynamically lower the resolution too. Dark Souls has been noted to be a shining star for that but so has Skyrim which is just stunning on the system.

Whoever made Diablo if it was in house or one of those two I don't know, but that game also is very consistent too in the same manner other than in some highest tier difficulty 4player online mash up zones with spells everywhere, it can drop some, yet it's not alone. I do wonder how far these companies can push the 30fps lock thing against what PS4/One get and still come out as a very happy medium for consistency sake.

Oh and I'd take a Maken X re-done with some smoother handling, same with Blue Stinger. I think Headhunter would be wise. And if anything, better late than never to cash in on that finished Propeller Arena as that screams Nintendo with that 4play it has. Online, a couple sets of joycons, whatever.
Arenegeth
24-bit

Post by Arenegeth »

Maken X was already re-released for the PS2 with an enhanced edition of sorts, as a lot of Dreamcast exclusives did back in the day.

I wouldn't care for Dreamcast remasters if they are akin to what Sega has done with Jet Set Radio and Crazy Taxi in recent years, if I wanted to play the games in 1080p instead of 480p I would just run them on an emulator, plus losing Offspring due to licensing in Crazy Taxi's case.

But full blown remakes akin to the upcoming Resident Evil 2 one would be nice, but you know how much they tend to mess up remakes these days.

Even so, I wouldn't 't care if they'd come out for the Switch specifically. What I would like for the Switch is more AA type games we used to see on the 3DS, games that would never take advantage of the full power of the other consoles anyway and thus lose nothing from getting released on a weaker system.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

What was wrong with the Jet Set Radio remaster? Once it was patched, it was great.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328