Switch Discussion Thread

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
ESauced
64-bit

Re: Switch Discussion Thread

Post by ESauced »

At the time I was feeling pissed off because I had just read it and had a rough day already. Feelings also don’t always accurately reflect someone’s logical opinion of something; that’s not how emotion works. I don’t begrudge you disagreeing with me or wanting clarification.

But i do think it’s possible to disagree with someone without being dismissive of them. Saying things like “so what?” and “it isn’t true end of the world” is pretty dismissive. I’m a grown ass man; I know it’s not the end of the world. I know Nintendo doesn’t owe me anything. And no I’m not taking it personally. I’m annoyed because I thought I’d have an extra ten bucks to spend on games and it turns out I don’t, and at the time I read it I was pissed off because it seemed like they reworked their rewards without much thought.

I agree word choice is important but communication is important too. And at the risk of being labeled “sensitive”, I think it’s generally kind that when someone comes to you with anger, not directed at you, if you don’t agree with them you still recognize their emotion as valid. And don’t forget that emotions are separate from logic; I think that’s hard to do on the internet.
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

ESauced wrote:At the time I was feeling pissed off because I had just read it and had a rough day already. Feelings also don’t always accurately reflect someone’s logical opinion of something; that’s not how emotion works. I don’t begrudge you disagreeing with me or wanting clarification.

But i do think it’s possible to disagree with someone without being dismissive of them. Saying things like “so what?” and “it isn’t true end of the world” is pretty dismissive. I’m a grown ass man; I know it’s not the end of the world. I know Nintendo doesn’t owe me anything. And no I’m not taking it personally. I’m annoyed because I thought I’d have an extra ten bucks to spend on games and it turns out I don’t, and at the time I read it I was pissed off because it seemed like they reworked their rewards without much thought.

I agree word choice is important but communication is important too. And at the risk of being labeled “sensitive”, I think it’s generally kind that when someone comes to you with anger, not directed at you, if you don’t agree with them you still recognize their emotion as valid. And don’t forget that emotions are separate from logic; I think that’s hard to do on the internet.

Not trying to flame just made me chuckle as it reminded me of this lol sorry https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZpcZC1mBIk
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

:lol: the hits keep comin’
marurun

Post by marurun »

I think the real question we need to be asking about the value of older games and gold coins is, is this decision from Nintendo inconsistent with their history with such things? Were expectations for gold coin valuations in-line with past Nintendo practices? If expectations were undercut by the announcement, why were those expectations higher than eventually realized? Did Nintendo communicate something that generated those expectations and then pull back? Were there inappropriate assumptions being made?

I do think this issue is likely more complex than the knee-jerk reactions of either "Nintendo dicked me over!" or "Damn entitled gamer kids!". And a lot of that comes down to Nintendo themselves and what they've been communicating and what expectations they've been setting up.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

Sony has a reward system for PS4 trophy earners that started last year. Thing is it only works for silver and above silver november..well if I earned that many since this were active as it's not retroactive. I think 100 trophies is like 10 cents?
ESauced
64-bit

Post by ESauced »

marurun wrote:I think the real question we need to be asking about the value of older games and gold coins is, is this decision from Nintendo inconsistent with their history with such things? Were expectations for gold coin valuations in-line with past Nintendo practices? If expectations were undercut by the announcement, why were those expectations higher than eventually realized? Did Nintendo communicate something that generated those expectations and then pull back? Were there inappropriate assumptions being made?

I do think this issue is likely more complex than the knee-jerk reactions of either "Nintendo dicked me over!" or "Damn entitled gamer kids!". And a lot of that comes down to Nintendo themselves and what they've been communicating and what expectations they've been setting up.

Thank you for the well thought out post. I think the problem with Nintendo is they simply don’t communicate or set expectations at all. They get rid of club Nintendo and say “we’ll be replacing it with something new”, but fail to give any hint as to what that would be so fans assume it will be something as good as club Nintendo, then when it’s revealed months later and is clearly worse, fans are disappointed. They release the Wii U and say “we’ll roll out the virtual console at a later date” then when they do it is revealed that it won’t have the same library as the Wii Virtual console and you have to pay to upgrade your games to Wii U. They say “Switch rewards will be coming” to my Nintendo and stay completely silent on the issue for a year, with no clue as to when or what that will be, so fans assume it will be worthwhile to save their coins for it, then it’s revealed that their coins have been devalued.

On another note though I clearly should have posted this in the “what ticked you off thread” because I obviously wasn’t looking for dissent so that’s my mistake.

I still think that @dsheinem you come off as pretty disrespectful when you disagree with someone. Particularly when you laugh off something someone says. If you enjoy frustrating people keep at it but you already chased someone away from this thread and I’m now hesitant to post if I see you active in a thread.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

ESauced wrote:
I still think that @dsheinem you can be pretty disrespectful when you disagree with someone. If you enjoy frustrating people keep at it but you already chased someone away from this thread and I’m now hesitant to post if I see you active in a thread.

Seriously, dude, chill the fuck out. Your initial posts (and most subsequent ones) have been full of self-righteous groans and moans about all kinds of extremely petty frustrations you seem to have with Nintendo's choices about how to inform you about how they will be delivering their free rewards to you, the quality of those free rewards, and the idea that you may have to pay for things that you were hoping to get cheaper or for free. OMG NINTENDO WTF ?!?!?!?!!!!!!1!!!

It is all inane, and while I don't mean to drive anyone away...if they have left because I pointed this out to them or because I was having a laugh at their internet rage, well then good riddance.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

Does anyone remember what a lot of forums were like in the late 90s to mid 2000s? Now those were vicious, dog-eat-dog, free for alls, with daily, lengthy flame wars. Noobs would always suffer hazing. Only the strong would survive. Or maybe it's just the online forums I hung out...

Regardless, and not to go too off topic, I don't really see what dsheinem has done that is so unacceptable. He hasn't been abusive or inflammatory. Then again, I think it's pathetic that we've banned political discussions (please don't ban me - I'm just voicing my opinion on the rule), because people can't handle the discourse. I'm the kind of person who welcomes a heated debate or discussion though (I guess that's a polite way of saying I'm an argumentative prick), so it could just be me.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

ESauced wrote:
marurun wrote:I think the real question we need to be asking about the value of older games and gold coins is, is this decision from Nintendo inconsistent with their history with such things? Were expectations for gold coin valuations in-line with past Nintendo practices? If expectations were undercut by the announcement, why were those expectations higher than eventually realized? Did Nintendo communicate something that generated those expectations and then pull back? Were there inappropriate assumptions being made?

Thank you for the well thought out post. I think the problem with Nintendo is they simply don’t communicate or set expectations at all. They get rid of club Nintendo and say “we’ll be replacing it with something new”, but fail to give any hint as to what that would be so fans assume it will be something as good as club Nintendo, then when it’s revealed months later and is clearly worse, fans are disappointed. They release the Wii U and say “we’ll roll out the virtual console at a later date” then when they do it is revealed that it won’t have the same library as the Wii Virtual console and you have to pay to upgrade your games to Wii U. They say “Switch rewards will be coming” to my Nintendo and stay completely silent on the issue for a year, with no clue as to when or what that will be, so fans assume it will be worthwhile to save their coins for it, then it’s revealed that their coins have been devalued.

I gotta agree with you there on Nintendo's expectations. They're notoriously awful at setting any as far as their digital services are concerned. With the stupid crap on how you needed to pay to get your Wii VC games on the Wii U interface, literally anything else would be better at this point. I mean, look at the crazy crap you gotta go through to get voice chat on Splatoon 2. Perhaps that's part of their "literally anything would be better than this" strategy :lol:

On the bright side, sure, My Nintendo rewards have been a bit crap, but if anything the new gold coin system enhances the value of those coins by letting them serve a purpose other than discounts for games you're still overpaying for by buying them digital or more 3DS themes.
(Even though I actually really like some of the themes they've put up <.< )
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
marurun

Post by marurun »

Well, but if Nintendo is really bad at setting concrete expectations, and people lately have been sort of disappointed in some of their decisions, why would there be any reasonable expectation that Nintendo would extend some valuable Gold-tinted olive branch to folks who already bought stuff before the new rewards program is put in place? When my grocery store implements a rewards program, they don't retroactively give me credit for the years of groceries I bought before the program. So I guess, with Nintendo's track record, why would anyone be expecting Nintendo to heap riches upon them retroactively? So far, solid game design is the only thing Nintendo seems to regularly deliver.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.