Switch Discussion Thread

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Stark
Next-Gen

Re: Switch Discussion Thread

Post by Stark »

Xeogred wrote:Yeah there were new job postings around specifically asking for some terrain artists and designers for the next Zelda project.

I loved BoTW but that's the big thing I'd change for sure, bring real dungeons back. There were those few islands that were those giant towering mazes... imagine a real dungeon the scale of something like those with the open world nature, so you can enter and exit through various points. I think that'd be pretty cool. I did like how the giant beast dungeons morphed and all but yeah, bring the real dungeons back!

Completely agree. I absolutely adored BoTW, but those hints at what could be accomplished with a real dungeon made me wistful.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Breath of the Wild has vastly outsold any previous 3D Zelda title, so I doubt Nintendo will truly go back to the "classic" Zelda model. We're talking over 11.68 million units, and the closest competitor is Twilight Princess with less than 8.85 million. In fact, if you look at 3D Zelda title sales, they really are mixed. Ocarina did well, but Skyward Sword and Wind Waker did comparatively poorly. As long as Nintendo keeps their dungeons open and flexible instead of making them extended, linear puzzle slogs, I'll be on-board.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I love BOTW. It's in my Top 3 Zelda games along with LTTP and Wind Waker. That said, I don't always want the same kind of Zelda game in succession. Give me another Link Between Worlds throwback, or a more traditional dungeon-based Zelda, and THEN another open-world game. Or, mix up those elements into something blended. Keep us on our toes, Nintendo. That's part of what made BOTW feel so incredible.
Arenegeth
24-bit

Post by Arenegeth »

marurun wrote:Ocarina did well, but Skyward Sword and Wind Waker did comparatively poorly.

Skyward Sword deserved to sell poorly, as it was the worst in the traditional 3D series and had a lot of questionable design choices.

Wind Waker, as fondly as it is remembered now, was very off putting to the mostly early 20's, mostly male audience that was the majority of the market at the time, with the adoption of the cartoony style. As was the Gamecube itself for that matter, that had a hard time doing away with the 'kiddy' image.

Of course we all know that is bull-crap now (and I knew back then and faced the derision of some of my peers for it), that both Wind Waker was a great game and the Gamecube a great console with a variety of amazing exclusives, but at the time there was a different sentiment that contributed to the lower sales.

I'm not going to go on a long tangent with my issues with Breath of the Wild, though they are not necessarily the usual ones people often have with the game.

But I don't think there's realistically any chance for the series returning to the old style any time soon, nor should it. As much as I loved Ocarina and despite my issues with BotW the old recipe really got stale, especially if you consider it was basically a 3D rendition of a recipe that was already stale in 2D.

But I would hope, at the very least, if we don't get more proper bigger dungeons in the next game, we get more visual variety at least, since all the dungeons look the damn same, and that's a shame.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Breath of the Wild, despite being a rather large and complex game, was relatively compact, and I think a lot of that had to do with art assets, especially the uniformity of the dungeons. But it was also originally aimed for the WiiU. Now that the Switch has been out a while and developers are getting comfortable with the capabilities, I think Nintendo can do more detailed texture and asset work without as much constraint.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Damm64
Next-Gen

Post by Damm64 »

So i decided to take the hit and bough a switch. It's the newest console i have ever bough, i usually wait 3-4 years to get the current gen machine. And wow is everything expensive for this thing. At leat on my country a used Mario game still goes for 40ish and a brand new copy goes for 70+. Still i got to play bayo 2 on it and that game is GREAT i really want to see what platinum does with bayo 3. I also got crash insane trilogy and owl boy. I will resell owlboy since is not clicking with me. But im playin crash more on the switch than on my ps4 copy for some reason.
noiseredux wrote:I don't lend shit and I don't borrow shit.

noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Damm64 wrote:So i decided to take the hit and bough a switch. It's the newest console i have ever bough, i usually wait 3-4 years to get the current gen machine. And wow is everything expensive for this thing. At leat on my country a used Mario game still goes for 40ish and a brand new copy goes for 70+. Still i got to play bayo 2 on it and that game is GREAT i really want to see what platinum does with bayo 3. I also got crash insane trilogy and owl boy. I will resell owlboy since is not clicking with me. But im playin crash more on the switch than on my ps4 copy for some reason.

welcome to the club, dude! Switch rules. :D
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Well, this is amazing and unsurprising... players are already building Advance Wars and Fire Emblem maps inside Wargroove:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/0 ... ps_in-game

...which is awesome. This game HAS to get a physical release. I'm sure it will. But ugh, waiting.

Also, I posted this link over the weekend:

https://www.windowscentral.com/microsof ... h-and-more

Microsoft is planning to bring its Xbox Live services to Switch (and mobile) which is really interesting. For one, it makes it much easier for devs to bake in crossplay.

For two... could it mean that we'd easily have a way to use that infrastructure for chatting with friends on Switch instead of that sad mobile app thingy?

And for three, could this mean my daydream about Microsoft's focus on games first rather than platform could be true? Could we potentially see their "Project Stream" on Switch? That could be monumental. They could effectively backdoor their way into having a 'portable' system if they made their games streamable via Switch. They'd just have to focus on selling you a subscription instead of selling you new hardware.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

noiseredux wrote:Well, this is amazing and unsurprising... players are already building Advance Wars and Fire Emblem maps inside Wargroove:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/0 ... ps_in-game

...which is awesome. This game HAS to get a physical release. I'm sure it will. But ugh, waiting.

Also, I posted this link over the weekend:

https://www.windowscentral.com/microsof ... h-and-more

Microsoft is planning to bring its Xbox Live services to Switch (and mobile) which is really interesting. For one, it makes it much easier for devs to bake in crossplay.

For two... could it mean that we'd easily have a way to use that infrastructure for chatting with friends on Switch instead of that sad mobile app thingy?

And for three, could this mean my daydream about Microsoft's focus on games first rather than platform could be true? Could we potentially see their "Project Stream" on Switch? That could be monumental. They could effectively backdoor their way into having a 'portable' system if they made their games streamable via Switch. They'd just have to focus on selling you a subscription instead of selling you new hardware.

Technically the switch already has a game that uses Xbox live features.. Minecraft! You don't need an Xbox live subscription or anything, but you do earn achievements and everything. It be cray.

I also have the bold ass prediction that game pass will stream its games onto the switch in the future... Bold... Ass... Prediction.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.