Switch Discussion Thread

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Reprise
Next-Gen

Re: Switch Discussion Thread

Post by Reprise »

Fear Effect Sedna launches on the Switch and all current platforms in a couple of days. I actually backed it on Kickstarter and clearly I fucked up and managed to completely miss this was being released on the Switch now, so when I was sent the survey a couple of weeks ago, I picked the PS4 version without realising Switch was even an option :(

It seems like a perfect game to played on a handheld.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XOzZp8M8gY
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
ESauced
64-bit

Post by ESauced »

Well Nintendo finally revealed the Switch rewards rate for gold points and I’m pissed. They changed the conversion rate for gold coins. Each coin is worth 1 cent. So my 150 gold coins from over $150 in purchases translates to $1.50 in savings.

In the future, Switch purchases will yield a five percent return on gold coins, which is great, but if you’ve been holding onto your gold coins in anticipation of the Switch rewards, Nintendo basically gave you a swift kick in the balls. Basically anyone who gets a Switch now has a great reward system, and their most loyal fans who adopted on release get screwed.
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

Except you get 12 gold coins from every Switch physical game not 1 gold coin. 1 cent is dumb but Sony is worse with the trophies earning money.
ESauced
64-bit

Post by ESauced »

Segata wrote:Except you get 12 gold coins from every Switch physical game not 1 gold coin. 1 cent is dumb but Sony is worse with the trophies earning money.

Well going forward now you get 60 gold coins for a physical game and 300 for a digital (for a full price $60 game). So going forward you get a 1% or a 5% rebate essentially. That is great. But for games you already bought you either got 12 coins for physical or 60 coins for physical so you got a .2% to a 1% rebate on those. Again, basically punishing people who bought the system early with a significantly worse reward.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

ESauced wrote:
Segata wrote:Except you get 12 gold coins from every Switch physical game not 1 gold coin. 1 cent is dumb but Sony is worse with the trophies earning money.

Well going forward now you get 60 gold coins for a physical game and 300 for a digital (for a full price $60 game). So going forward you get a 1% or a 5% rebate essentially. That is great. But for games you already bought you either got 12 coins for physical or 60 coins for physical so you got a .2% to a 1% rebate on those. Again, basically punishing people who bought the system early with a significantly worse reward.

“punishing” :lol:

y’all are making a big deal out of nothing.
ESauced
64-bit

Post by ESauced »

Punishing might be the wrong word but what it definitely isn’t doing is rewarding the most loyal fans. And maybe it’s not a big deal in the perspective of other things (but really nothing video game related is a big deal in the big picture) but I find it frustrating, and I find you minimizing it and dismissing me very condescending.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

ESauced wrote:Punishing might be the wrong word but what it definitely isn’t doing is rewarding the most loyal fans. And maybe it’s not a big deal in the perspective of other things (but really nothing video game related is a big deal in the big picture) but I find it frustrating, and I find you minimizing it and dismissing me very condescending.

Here is the thing... Nintendo doesn't owe you anything. I feel like people take these things too personally. A company can not appeal to these, "Loyal," fanbases 100% of the time.

See how much they have done and have improved in terms of putting out game changing software, putting out a piece of hardware that appeals to both the gaming community, a casual audience and to that weird Nintendo toy making sensibility and also listening to their audience on how to improve.

So they did a thing you didn't like. So what? It isn't the end of the world. You still have a ton of games to choose from on an awesome system. You were screwed over by pennies. I'm sure Nintendo wasn't like, "Let's fuck these guys over."
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

BogusMeatFactory wrote:
ESauced wrote:Punishing might be the wrong word but what it definitely isn’t doing is rewarding the most loyal fans. And maybe it’s not a big deal in the perspective of other things (but really nothing video game related is a big deal in the big picture) but I find it frustrating, and I find you minimizing it and dismissing me very condescending.

Here is the thing... Nintendo doesn't owe you anything. I feel like people take these things too personally. A company can not appeal to these, "Loyal," fanbases 100% of the time.

See how much they have done and have improved in terms of putting out game changing software, putting out a piece of hardware that appeals to both the gaming community, a casual audience and to that weird Nintendo toy making sensibility and also listening to their audience on how to improve.

So they did a thing you didn't like. So what? It isn't the end of the world. You still have a ton of games to choose from on an awesome system. You were screwed over by pennies. I'm sure Nintendo wasn't like, "Let's fuck these guys over."

Ultimately, this reveal is only a good thing going forward. Now all the new games you'll buy give you a much better return! Nintendo could've very easily just kept the rebate at 1%, after all. It kinda stinks that the rebates aren't retroactive, but it's not like this is a colossal amount of money in the first place. Unless you've been buying literally every Switch game that comes out digitally, it's more of a minor annoyance than a big wallet hit.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
ESauced
64-bit

Post by ESauced »

I agree this is a good thing going forward; I also agree it’s not a big wallet hit.

I also want to mention that I never said Nintendo owed me anything. I think people some love to point out that companies don’t owe you anything and throw the word entitled around. It’s classic “my generation had it so bad” mentality and it gets old.

I really enjoy Nintendo games. But sometimes they make business moves that piss me off a bit. They don’t owe me anything in a rewards program, but I’m perfectly allowed to be irritated with them when they do something dumb.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

ESauced wrote:I agree this is a good thing going forward; I also agree it’s not a big wallet hit.

I also want to mention that I never said Nintendo owed me anything. I think people some love to point out that companies don’t owe you anything and throw the word entitled around. It’s classic “my generation had it so bad” mentality and it gets old.

I really enjoy Nintendo games. But sometimes they make business moves that piss me off a bit. They don’t owe me anything in a rewards program, but I’m perfectly allowed to be irritated with them when they do something dumb.

How dumb is this though... really? In the grand scheme of things. You use words like pissed off and that says you are angry about it. Words have meaning and what words we chose to write informs others about what your intentions and meanings are.

So use different words. Talk about annoyance or frustration or inconvenience. Our reactions to your posts are because of your choice of words, which may not be accurately portraying your personal feelings
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.