Switch Discussion Thread

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Re: Switch Discussion Thread

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

THE JOYCONS CAN RUMBLE A TUNE!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

Anyone know if the whole series of Telltale's The Walking Dead gamea are on the Switch or if it's just Season 1 (and I guess the Final Season now that's going to be completed and had already been on the Switch)?

I wouldn't mind playing through them all again and it makes sense to do it on one console (and I'd rather do it on a handheld).
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

Super Mario Party is indeed super fun! A fantastic combo of the old formula and the new to make a game not all about skill, but also about weighing your chances with strategy and a bit of luck thrown in too!

Probably one of the best carry-overs from 9 and 10 is that how well you do in 4-player games matters a lot. 1st gets the most with 8 coins, sure, but 2nd gets 4 and 3rd gets 2. When stars only cost 10 coins, that can still mean a lot, and it also means it's WAY harder to totally shut out the other players by just winning every mini-game because at least 2 other players will always be making some kind of money at the end of every turn. It's a really clever innovation and I'm glad to see the series take such good steps forward :D

Really the only negative thing I can say about it is that there is no proper online mode. Not even Nintendo's weird obsession with not letting you play with your Switch friends, but there just isn't an online party mode. It's only playing a series of 10 mini-games against people online from the pool of 80 something (and that's 10 mini-games you don't pick, it's like Splatoon 2 where it's on a rotating basis that Nintendo picks).
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

I love Super Mario Party. My only criticism is I wish it was possible to have an options facility so that you can raise the cost of stars if you wish. I kinda miss those moments from the classic games where getting near the star or passing it did not mean you would instantly get the star. 10 coins seems too low at times, because I mean, apart from the very first round, who doesn't have at least 10 coins?

And whilst I don't mind the boards and think the smaller and more accessible format is decent, I do kinda wish that it would get the Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Smash Bros Ultimate treatment and provide a load of the boards from some of the previous games. I know they would have to rework some elements, but it would be so cool.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Reprise wrote:And whilst I don't mind the boards and think the smaller and more accessible format is decent, I do kinda wish that it would get the Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Smash Bros Ultimate treatment and provide a load of the boards from some of the previous games. I know they would have to rework some elements, but it would be so cool.

I agree that it'd be really cool, but I think they'd almost need to have separate collections for the different generations of games, or at least between the ones that use items vs. the ones that use orbs. Like, the mechanics between games don't usually change that much, but they change enough that I think a greatest hits collection of old boards would need a LOT of work to actually make them work under one larger unified set of mechanics.

I think that's probably why we got the brand new, very retooled Super Mario Party alongside the Mario Party Top 100 game on 3DS. Perhaps Top 100 is a kind of admission that they wanted to do a "greatest hits" with boards and just couldn't get it to work, so they settled on a big mini-game compilation?

I definitely agree that the ability to make the boards a little more customizable with stuff like changing the star prices would've been nice though. Nintendo doesn't really have a good track record on letting the player mess with their games in even base options though, at least not recently XP
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Partridge, why aren't you playing Arena Of Valor? You like Heroes Of The Storm. You like the Switch. You need to do this!
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

noiseredux wrote:Partridge, why aren't you playing Arena Of Valor? You like Heroes Of The Storm. You like the Switch. You need to do this!

I just don't really like playing console games online and also don't have Switch Online (and wouldn't use it enough to really justify buying it atm). As far as Dota-likes go I just already know HOTS so I'd rather keep playing that if I'm ever in a mood for a Dota-like again.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

alright. Well, just so you know you don't need Switch Online to play Arena Of Valor (or Fortnite, or any F2P game on Switch).

I wish some of my dudes here would at least dip their toe into this game. It's free so you've got nothing to lose! I play this one a lot, but my friends list in-game always reads zero. :(
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

SWERY's new game The Missing isn't on the eShop in Europe :(

Why!?

Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

Anyone playing Starlink and got any opinions? It looks great to me, but there's absolutely no way I am getting into buying toys to play this thing. So would I be crazy not to get the digital version? (even though I buy physical over digital everytime usually?) Can I avoid buying toys or will I still need to buy 'digital' versions of the toys? :( I just want a standard game I can spend money on once and then enjoy.