Switch Discussion Thread

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Segata
Next-Gen

Re: Switch Discussion Thread

Post by Segata »

https://nintendoeverything.com/sakurai- ... mash-bros/

Now everyone can shut up about this debate. Sakurai says it's the newest Smash Bros game. So it's not a port but Smash 5.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Newest Smash Bros game doesn't mean 'new smash bros game' it means 'latest smash bros game'.

It is still entirely possible that this is an upgraded port.

Personally, I'm happy whichever way. When it comes to Smash I don't need them to rebuild everything every time, I just want more stages and characters and I'm down.
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

alien Jesus wrote:Newest Smash Bros game doesn't mean 'new smash bros game' it means 'latest smash bros game'.

Personally, I'm happy whichever way. When it comes to Smash I don't need them to rebuild everything every time, I just want more stages and characters and I'm down.

They would not tease the game like that if it was just a port.

Why does the copyright not reflect being a port?

Because it's not a port. This is the same crap when people kept saying Splatoon 2 was an enhanced port and it's, in fact, a new game from the ground up. Mario Kart 8 was an enhanced port and just shown and announced. Like every other Wii U port, it would have just been said. Also, Namco is not listed. They co-developed the 3DS/Wii U game.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

Segata wrote:https://nintendoeverything.com/sakurai-confirms-hes-working-on-the-newest-smash-bros/

Now everyone can shut up about this debate. Sakurai says it's the newest Smash Bros game. So it's not a port but Smash 5.

While I do agree with you on the copyright information being more confirming that this is a new version and not just a port, that is actually a very misleading article (which I don't blame you for not knowing, not understanding Japanese). His actual Tweet says nothing about "new" in any way shape or form, so I have no idea why they would use such a misleading title. It's something like,

"Right now we're at the stage where we've just announced the title, but we're still at the point where we need to keep quiet about the actual production. Please wait until we can announce details or a release date!!"

He could very easily be talking about a port in that Tweet (although I would agree that it doesn't seeeeeem that's the case)
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

Segata wrote:
alien Jesus wrote:Newest Smash Bros game doesn't mean 'new smash bros game' it means 'latest smash bros game'.

They would not tease the game like that if it was just a port.

Why does the copyright not reflect being a port?

Because it's not a port. This is the same crap when people kept saying Splatoon 2 was an enhanced port and it's, in fact, a new game from the ground up. Mario Kart 8 was an enhanced port and just shown and announced. Like every other Wii U port, it would have just been said. Also, Namco is not listed. They co-developed the 3DS/Wii U game.

Yeah, I have to agree. It's definitely a new game. There's a bunch of trolls on the Nintendo and Switch Facebook pages trolling fans by baiting them with comments like "oh look, Nintendo fanboys are getting excited over another port". It's obviously not a port.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

Segata wrote:https://nintendoeverything.com/sakurai-confirms-hes-working-on-the-newest-smash-bros/

Mario kart 8 deluxe announcement trailer had a copyright only of 2017 on it.... so you can shut up about this being a brand new game.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

Either way, it's still pretty obvious it's a new game in the series :P
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Reprise wrote:Either way, it's still pretty obvious it's a new game in the series :P

It's not at all obvious.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

Does it matter if it is a brand new title or a port of the Wii u one, with all the characters, new characters, new arenas and a few new nodes of play like a story mode. Still technically the same Wii u smash bros, But with some new stuff. Not a big deal. Everyone needs to calm down.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Anayo
Next-Gen

Post by Anayo »

Can someone in the "anti-Smash 4 port" camp explain why a port would be bad? Zelda: Breath of the Wild on Switch appeared to be a port and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe definitely was. They were both good, though.

If anything I'd prefer a port of Smash Bros. 4 because the series is so inconsistent from one installment to the next. Brawl on the Wii had RNG-based tripping. The N64 and Gamecube versions handle so differently that all my practice in Smash 4 hardly counts for much in those. I completely expect more content like an expanded roster, more stages, and maybe prettier graphics (like Splatoon on Wii U compared to Splatoon 2 on Switch), but it would frustrate me if the controls in Smash Bros. 5 changed too much.