Switch Discussion Thread

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: Switch Discussion Thread

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

It's a port. I wouldn't have bought it if I already owned a physical copy, personally. I assume the Dreamcast and Neo Geo versions are pretty hard to find.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

Seems like it's got some new bosses and extended levels at least. Probably something I'll end up getting when I eventually have a Switch. The game is such a fantastic love letter to Turrican and there's so little else out there exactly like it.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Gunlord X looks INSANE! Straight up Ultra Turrican. I like how it looks like what a later installment would have looked like too, it plays off of Super/Mega Turrican the most for sure.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

Xeogred wrote:Gunlord X looks INSANE! Straight up Ultra Turrican. I like how it looks like what a later installment would have looked like too, it plays off of Super/Mega Turrican the most for sure.

It's got horizontal shmup segments like the old C64 games too and the music is made to be reminiscent of Manfred Trenz. I think I'd probably describe it as Turrican 2 on steroids.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

Gunstar Green wrote:Seems like it's got some new bosses and extended levels at least. Probably something I'll end up getting when I eventually have a Switch. The game is such a fantastic love letter to Turrican and there's so little else out there exactly like it.

Levels are extended, there's new secrets to find and new bosses. It's remastered and the difficulty has been rebalanced. You can collect extra continues in the form of giant crystals as well.

It's the perfect definitive edition of the game. I love my Dreamcast edition, but doubt I'll go back to it now. I hope they do a physical edition and they supposedly will if the digital edition does well enough.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I continue to play Gunlord X on and off. Really enjoy it. I'm also rubbish at it.

Fantastic level design and graphics. And the OST is so hypnotic.

I do have some issues with the game....... which, coincidentally, are the same issues I have with Turrican (the series).

It's a bit too busy graphically. It's hard to distinguish what's foreground, background, power-up, enemy, spikes, whatever... A lot of hits I take feel cheap as I literally couldn't even "see" what's happening. Tying into this, I really dislike the lack of feedback when taking damage. At random times I'll just notice "oh wow my lifebar isn't full any more, okay..." The translucent HUD is also kinda weird.

But, yeah, overall, super solid ass game. I just think they copied Turrican a bit too much.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Tying into this, I really dislike the lack of feedback when taking damage. At random times I'll just notice "oh wow my lifebar isn't full any more, okay..."

That's always been my biggest beef with the franchise as well and probably why I prefer stuff like Mega Turrican which is a bit better at letting you know you've been hit.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Did you guys ever check out Devil Engine?
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

Edit: Ok, after much digging online, I managed to find out how to obtain the domestic tracking number and then tracked it with the courier used for the UK and it looks like that says it's on its way and hasn't been out for delivery yet. Panic over (for now... still taken longer than it usually does). If it doesn't come tomorrow, I can't take it away with me on holiday which is a shame. Anyways, guess the Asendia status got screwed up.

I have a great story. Tonight I was like "oh yeah, I wonder if my order of ToeJam & Earl will be here soon? It shipped a couple of weeks back" so I checked the tracking and it says in nice big letters "Current Package Status: Delivered". Except, you know, it hasn't been delivered at all :roll:

Checked the side of the house, nothing. Checked the back garden, nothing. Checked the bins, nothing.

So what's the chances the status is just messed up and it will come in a day or two? Or should I assume that my package is lost and no ToeJam & Earl for me? :(

I'm an international customer (UK). What's weird though is it doesn't give a delivery date. The last update says "Tracking Event: Entered The Delivery Carrier's Network" on Tuesday 11th June. I tried checking my older orders to see if they updated a delivery date once they were delivered, but none of them have the tracking details anymore.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »