Switch Discussion Thread

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Switch Discussion Thread

Post by noiseredux »

Reprise wrote:Anyone playing Starlink and got any opinions? It looks great to me, but there's absolutely no way I am getting into buying toys to play this thing. So would I be crazy not to get the digital version? (even though I buy physical over digital everytime usually?) Can I avoid buying toys or will I still need to buy 'digital' versions of the toys? :( I just want a standard game I can spend money on once and then enjoy.

I plan to buy the physical starter set very soon. It's one of my most anticipated games of the year, and the reviews have all seemed very good. I just know I don't have a lot of time to focus on the game quite yet, but I'm looking forward to it big time.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

The toys are not required to play. You can also get digital versions of the toys, also optional to play too if you don't want plastic clutter. In the end though, if you want the most unique experience and that entire Starfox game within a game, you need the real/digital toys. I was tempted to buy the game but didn't trust Ubisoft was smart enough to do a game right so I didn't grab it, and time was as much a concern. I would love to get the 2 toys though so I'll probably get the game, and I'm not one of those Amiibo/Lego/Skylanders hoarders. It's just the detailing on that Arwing is just stunning.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

But guys, what I'm really getting at (and maybe it's a dumb question), is can I spend £65 on the physical starter pack or £70 on the digital pack and never spend any more on the game? And if so, would I still get enjoyment from it.

All these Skylanders and Disney Infinity stuff just does over my head. I don't care about toys, I care about video games and I don't want to pump loads of money into one game on DLC, whether it's digital or in the form of toys.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Everything I've read says "yup." I plan to buy the Starter Pack... and nothing else.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

You can complete the game buying nothing more than the starter pack. There are extras and secrets you can access with the other stuff. You also can not do the star fox content without star fox obtained via the starter pack.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

Thanks guys, I guess I might have to keep an eye on that physical starter pack to see if it drops in price.

It's not some lame limited edition thing, right? I want to be able to do the Star Fox stuff.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Since it's the only way to buy it physically, I doubt it's limited.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

Reprise wrote:Thanks guys, I guess I might have to keep an eye on that physical starter pack to see if it drops in price.

It's not some lame limited edition thing, right? I want to be able to do the Star Fox stuff.

As of right now, the switch version only comes with the star fox stuff and the xbox/ps4 version ships come ONLY in their starter pack (and can be purchased digitally on switch) I don't think this will change as reviewers have said that the star fox content is BEEFY!
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I did end up picking up Starlink over the weekend. I'm only maybe two hours in or so, so I can't say I've really seen all that much yet. But what I have played has been a lot of fun.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I got my ass handed to me on a boss fight in Starlink last night. There's a battle with a huge ship that has turrets all over it and enemies flying all around, it can get overwhelming. I did three times and then decided I needed a breather. Admittedly, there's a lot I don't fully understand about the game yet so maybe I'm just not getting something here - like maybe I should have some better upgrade or something. There's actually a lot of menus to dig through when it comes to customization of your pilot's abilities and ship's loadout and perks. I may want to go do another mission and come back after some upgrades. Not sure.

Anyone else playing this yet?